Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuff Tackle Brawn......

Re: Tuff Tackle Brawn......

Give me an accurate any day.built like the proverbial brick outhouse.They will outlast shimano or daiwa .
    IMO Graham

When I first saw the pic I thought WOW.
    But after a good look I noticed things looking a little under sized for a reel of that size.
    To me the rotors look a bit under sized for a 30kg drag reel also where the handle joins to the reel shaft and like mentioned in earlier thread the stem is a two piece.

This is just my opinion and I hope he proves us all wrong and builds a good reel.

Reel manufacturers seem to be in a contest as to how much drag there reels have. It serves no real purpose other than wank factor. I have seen reel companies stating there small lever drag reels, lets say a TLD 20 size to have 25kg+ of drag but I feel they have missed something very important. Given these reels are relatively small and the lever travel being some 3-4 inches from free spool to full lock up that tells me that every 1inch is potentially 10kg. I have tried some of these reels and the drag ramps up ridiculously fast, to fast to be any good. I understand they bang on about 50 and 80lb spectra lines but even so such heavy drags is just ridicules. More importantly most rods won’t be effective with that much drag. Im a big fella and I build rods for a living and I struggle to hang onto 22kg of drag on land little lone in a boat. Sure you see rods with 25kg of drag over them but look at the action, its BS if you ask me. Who wants a friggen rod where the tip almost touches the butt, it serves no real purpose as a fish fighting tool? The other issue I have seen in some of these reels is the internal make up, most won’t handle 25kg of drag for to long. Bearings collapse, spools warp and reel feet bend. Just like a well tuned clutch or brake, it needs to come on smooth and steady. If you touched the brake pedal just a small amount and all four wheels locked up you would go and get them checked out and fixed.