Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phenix Blank order

Phenix Blank order

I'm looking to purchase some blanks direct from Phenix rods. I live in Cairns so this may not work out but figured I'd throw it out there to see who is interested in a combined order? We can get up to 10 blanks for the same postage as 1 blank so if anybody is keen I'm happy to add a few more blanks in to make the 10 up.

Let me know.
    Cheers, Mark.

Re: Phenix Blank order

Hi Mark
    I spoke to them a while ago and the cost of posting a single Blank to Oz is $157
    They said Mudhole has a arrangement with Fedex that is why there cost is cheaper

They were even goin to give me a discount on the Blanks
    But worked it out still had to pay for postage on gear from mudhole as well as Phenix so two postage costs ...and was better for me to go through mudhole
    Willo

Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    Hi Mark
    I spoke to them a while ago and the cost of posting a single Blank to Oz is $157
    They said Mudhole has a arrangement with Fedex that is why there cost is cheaper

They were even goin to give me a discount on the Blanks
    But worked it out still had to pay for postage on gear from mudhole as well as Phenix so two postage costs ...and was better for me to go through mudhole
    Willo
    Yep, the Fedex deal mudhole have got going is a boom for them, at least for overseas buyers. The postage costs of buying blanks anywhere else in the US is often just too much to consider buying anywhere else. And it's a damn pity too, because there are some beautiful blanks out there that mudhole don't stock.

Nevertheless, I think the postage cost at mudhole also goes up with the value of the items (as well as length and weight). So if Phenix are saying there is no difference in postage cost of 1 blank vs 10 blanks, then it might start to make things more competitive (I emphasize might). The other thing to consider is the duty at oz customs that starts to kick in once orders are above $1k.

What blanks are you going for Daintree? I just finished a light spin rod built on a UMBX S700L and am very jealous of the guy I'm making it for. Will post some pics of it loaded up when I get a chance.

In my list at the moment is one UMBX 606H. I was looking to make a barra baitcaster out of it. Only have one UMBX on the list as I know very little about them and they are freshwater rated. I couldn't get an answer on why no saltwater so didn't want to take a risk here. The specs look great on that range.
    Some others on the list is a few of the Titan Jigging, really keen to make a few of these.
    I've also got a couple of black diamonds but I'm really only making up numbers a bit there to try for ten rods. If people want to jump on baord I'll gladly drop some of my list off to cater.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    In my list at the moment is one UMBX 606H. I was looking to make a barra baitcaster out of it. Only have one UMBX on the list as I know very little about them and they are freshwater rated. I couldn't get an answer on why no saltwater so didn't want to take a risk here. The specs look great on that range.
    Some others on the list is a few of the Titan Jigging, really keen to make a few of these.
    I've also got a couple of black diamonds but I'm really only making up numbers a bit there to try for ten rods. If people want to jump on baord I'll gladly drop some of my list off to cater.
    Wow! You really do have a bad case of the rodbuilding bug! If I wasn't based in Melbourne, I would probably go in the order with you - liking the look of the titan range as well. And I wouldn't worry too much about the 'freshwater' tag on the UMBX. A lot of companies have a 'freshie' range, but it only has to do with the style of fishing they were designed for, rather than what they are capable of. I know for sure that the S700L will be heading straight for the salt.

Please don't think I'm crapping on Phenix at all because I'm not. I haven't built one or used one so I'm not commenting on the quality of the blanks at all. They could be the best thing since sliced bread for all I know. I do however happen to know from a very reliable source that "good ol made in the USA" is not the case for Phenix blanks. They are made in China, just like Samurai. Check out their website and you will not see anywhere "Made in the USA". Do you think this would be the case if they were made in the USA. Surely not! Phenix are very happy for everyone to believe the blanks are made in the USA. Good on them but don't be deceived into thinking this is the case.

From what I am lead to believe is most of the new age blanks are made in China But its the actual different blends of materials that go into them and where they are sorced from.... vary a lot.... Read a artical on it somewhere saying ...Dont let the... made in China ....Labling disatract you from the Blank .....as the top end blanks are as good as they get...The artical wasnt refering to any particular brand blank...It all came down to what the blends of different resins and graphite material..and it went on to say that altough the blanks are made in China the actual graphite and hi teck resins were comming from the actual Blank Brand names and sent over to China for the making of the blanks
    Any way the artical cure me of the Made in China thing....LOL
    I dont know alot about the construction of the modern Blank..... but Blank tecknowlegy rapidly advancing
    And belive me the Phenix Hybrid is a kick Arse Blank..going into my third year with them now
    Just my personal view on blank making.........Dont mind if ya tell me I full of piss and wind but ....LOL
    I'll see if i can dig up the artical and post link ............

PS...I also use.... Calstar ...United comp....St Criox Blanks as well so got a small selection of blanks to compare

Just a late add to the post found this on aUS fishing site called Get Bent ..In relation to Phenix being made in China

Hi Everybody,

I am pleased to see there is some discussion about Phenix rods again. We just came back from the Fred Hall show and it was a tremendous experience. The reception to our new product line for both freshwater and saltwater was great.

I wanted to clarify a few things about our rod materials, where they are made, etc. The raw material for our rod blanks comes from Toray. That was essential for us. We wanted our line to be made of only the highest quality material. It is a carbon fiber and graphite weave which makes our blanks both light and strong.

Our blanks are not made in Japan. They are not made in the US. They are MIC (Made in China). In fact, the reason why we chose our Chinese partner is the fact that they use Toray materials. Most rod manufacturers use Chinese graphite which we feel is an inferior product. As much as I would have loved our blanks to be made in Japan, it is not financially feasible for us to do so at the price point that we want to offer the consumer. I believe having our blanks made in China does not diminish the quality of the product. In fact our Chinese partner OEM's a lot of rods and blanks for very high quality, well-known manufacturers.

Sorry, if myself or any of the partners caused any confusion at the Fred Hall Show. We wanted to highlight the fact that our blanks use material from Toray. I do believe that is a selling point. We do not want to mislead anybody into thinking that our blanks are spun in Japan

and the Link to the whole Post
    http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/f...nd-blanks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Please don't think I'm crapping on Phenix at all because I'm not. I haven't built one or used one so I'm not commenting on the quality of the blanks at all. They could be the best thing since sliced bread for all I know. I do however happen to know from a very reliable source that "good ol made in the USA" is not the case for Phenix blanks. They are made in China, just like Samurai. Check out their website and you will not see anywhere "Made in the USA". Do you think this would be the case if they were made in the USA. Surely not! Phenix are very happy for everyone to believe the blanks are made in the USA. Good on them but don't be deceived into thinking this is the case.
    To be fair to Phenix, I don't think that they have ever tried to claim that they were made in the US. You would have to be insane to run a serious company (any company) while deceiving their customers about where there product is made. Something like that will always surface eventually. I certainly knew that Phenix was a Chinese made product before I bought my first blank from them. As long as there QC is up to scratch, then there shouldn't be any problems. Would love to buy premium Australian made blanks, but NZ blanks are as close as we can get.

Pacific Composite used to make premium blanks but no one liked the price even though they were ahead of there time example the black shadows and the kevlar blanks .Kevlar rods made by a japanese company retail for $11oo-$1400.
    Most rod manufactureres copy others anyway take the loomis hybrid and hold it beside a livefibre or some other blanks mentioned here and you cant tell the difference.Loomis came first.
    Or turn a single foot guide back the front and what have you got? A less advanced KW but does the same thing.Megabass did this for years.
    DEul Helix is nearly as old as me and im an old fart.
    Sorry about raving on but there is little new in the industry except quality of graphite and resins.
    IMO Graham

HI Mark (Daintree), I'm in Townsville and would like to have a look at their blanks...just very busy right now with a lot of travel. I'll pm you in the next week or so...if you have gone in already...all the best mate
    cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    Pacific Composite used to make premium blanks but no one liked the price even though they were ahead of there time example the black shadows and the kevlar blanks .Kevlar rods made by a japanese company retail for $11oo-$1400.
    Most rod manufactureres copy others anyway take the loomis hybrid and hold it beside a livefibre or some other blanks mentioned here and you cant tell the difference.Loomis came first.
    Or turn a single foot guide back the front and what have you got? A less advanced KW but does the same thing.Megabass did this for years.
    DEul Helix is nearly as old as me and im an old fart.
    Sorry about raving on but there is little new in the industry except quality of graphite and resins.
    IMO Graham
    Graham,
    I can assure you Pacific Composite were not ahead of there time at anytime mate. The black shadow blanks could have been good but they weren’t. The Kevlar blanks were nothing short of a marketing gimmick and they to were snot. I contracted for Angler rods for around 6 years and trust me when I say they had way more broken black shadow and kevlawrap blanks that most of you would know I was building between 80 to 130 rods a week for them. So to say, I seen many broken blanks is, well an understatment. Just because a blank looks cool is not ground breaking and nor is the black shadow blanks that had a way to thin a wall for any long-term robustness.
    The China thing isn’t anything new. I could name plenty of Australian companies selling there products as “Australian made” that it would blow your mind. You can also look at what isn’t said as an indicator as to the origins of the product. Because a product is made in, China doesn’t always equal crap, most times but not all.

Willo,
    I think if blank suppliers are saying they, supply the Chinese with the cloth is very odd to me because when cloth is stored or shipped it must be transported in a freezer container. I have seen plenty of Chinese made blanks and while some are ok most are poor quality. I have seen many Australian companies source there blanks and rods from China and while they stipulate xyz, they don’t always listen. If they can find cheaper ways to make a product to enhance there margin they will and it’s normally at the detriment of the product. Sure, some state what grad of cloth whether it be carbon or glass as well as resin type and percentage content. There is a vast difference between blank design and a blank request. Some have this idea that if you request a blank to have certain characteristics then that equates to design. There couldn’t be anything further from the truth. That’s like saying, I had my car painted a deeper shade of blue, had the engine hotted up and whacked some mages on it and that’s there design. It’s a shame there is so much marketing BS these days and it seems a return to the bad old days where claims can’t be backed up and the truth is of little or any consequence to them. Because it’s written in, some mag doesn’t make it true, fact or partially both. I have read articles from people that now bugger all about the very topic they are espousing to know about. In fact, they are parroting what they have been told by the very company they are supporting or they are being paid to write about.

Stuart are you able to look into this through your contacts to see what the real story is? All I know is that Phenix don't claim to be US made but they say they use Toray. None of this means much to me, I just heard they are pretty good blanks through the grape vine.
    Mikey I'm not putting in an order yet as I jsut bought a whole heap of gear off a bloke who has sold all his rod building gear and I get 20 rod blanks out of it. I might list them here so the guys on this site can let me know what they think of them.
    I wish I was Stuart as I could knock them all up in a day!! Christ Stu how can you build that quick. 20 rods is gunna take me two years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Stuart are you able to look into this through your contacts to see what the real story is? All I know is that Phenix don't claim to be US made but they say they use Toray. None of this means much to me, I just heard they are pretty good blanks through the grape vine.
    Mikey I'm not putting in an order yet as I jsut bought a whole heap of gear off a bloke who has sold all his rod building gear and I get 20 rod blanks out of it. I might list them here so the guys on this site can let me know what they think of them.
    I wish I was Stuart as I could knock them all up in a day!! Christ Stu how can you build that quick. 20 rods is gunna take me two years!!
    You wish you were me, friggen hell mate I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. I cant build that fast, in fact what I should have said was that I constructed the rods ready for binding and then coating…Sorry didn’t mean to mislead anyone. I use to bind the rods for them then I gave that away to build, much better. Toray is a brand just like Ford or Holden and with in that brand you have many types and grades of cloth. There are 4 grades of carbon on the planet. That is standard Modulus “the lowest grade” which contains T300,T700, HTA, UTS, TR grades and so on. The next is Intermediate Modulus which contains the popular T800, M30S, “MR40,MR50 Pacific Composite black shadow used”, IM6/IM7, IM9, T40 and so on. The next is high modulus, which has M40, HMA, MS40,HR40 and many more. The next is ultra high modulus, which again has a fair few grades with in it. These listed are all brand codes that tell where they originated from and the company that manufacturer it. For example IM6, IM7 are both USA, MR40,MR50 are both Japan. Many will quote million modulus but to the average Joe blow, it means next to nothing. I would rather know what brand – code of carbon rating is in a blank than million this and million that. It will tell me and better again give me an idea of how that blank will perform. I know this all means bugger all to most here but at least you can see that there are only 4 grades of carbon that we are talking about in any product that says carbon.

They may very well be a good blank, I wouldn’t know so I can’t comment. I have learnt over the years in this game that I read between the lines and what isn’t said, that often tells me more. There is a huge amount of marketing spin, even more than K rudd would or could come up with in a week. It’s much like the term Nano technology = Bull Sh!t or titanium in the resin system or titanium in the cloth, again = Bull Sh!t. It’s the same as years ago when comp developments came out with a blank that had Boron in it. Well I thought that would be great to see a blank that had a form of metal in it that bent. It turned out and my suspicions where spot on that they used a thin piece of Boron wire in the first few rolls of cloth when the blank was being made again = Bull Sh!t. I think you will begin to see a pattern evolve here by now. If you like, the Phoenix blank then buy and use them. It’s got me buggered why they choose to use China to roll blanks when these is plenty of companies in the States. The cloth is very cheap and indeed so to is a blank. The cost to roll a game blank or long spin blank is approximately $10-$20 the rest is margin.

Stu,
    You have been building rods longer than me but i still disagree on the pc blanks.I have some and there is not much new that is better for there respective weight ranges,as far as breakages go every factory has them.
    IMO Graham

Graham,

What makes you think they were so ground breaking? I could name plenty of blanks that were better than those at the time. Im not looking for a fight just very curious and some what confused by your statement.