Thread: HDS 7 Fuel flow hook up.

HDS 7 Fuel flow hook up.

Just fitted a lowrance fuel flow thingo up to the new HDS 7. I read somewhere that you need some starter kit but don't know if its applicable here.. Should it work now if I play with the buttons or do I need to add something else.

As you may have noticed I'm a neanderthal when it comes to anything to do with wires.

Re: HDS 7 Fuel flow hook up.

I think you are referring to the nmea 2000 starter kit which includes t pieces, cable, power injector node & a terminator. You will need this to get it working correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by DTHCoCo View Post
    I think you are referring to the nmea 2000 starter kit which includes t pieces, cable, power injector node & a terminator. You will need this to get it working correctly!
    I've got the EP60r going into a T piece going into the hds so I need these other things as well? Why can't life be more simple....

Yes, you definitely need an NMEA2000 starter kit. About $70 from local Lowrance dealer or chandlery.

You connect the fuel flow sender to the network. The HDS 7 also connects to the network, and presto, you get fuel flow data onto the HDS screen.

The "network" is really just the cables that come in the starter kit plugged together. Think of it like the phone cable in your house - you can plug a phone, fax machine or computer into a phone point in any room, right! The network is the same, it is just a cable that is fitted into your boat, and whenever you want to plug something into it, you put a "T" piece in and plug the new thing into the leg part of the T piece. the network also has to have it's own 12v power source, so that's why the starter kit includes a power node, it's just a pos and neg wire with a fuse and a cable attached that plugs into a T piece. You will want to run this thru a separate switch.

The only other rule is that "there shall never be a T piece with an open end." So this is where you put a terminating resistor ( comes in the starter kit) on the T pieces at each end of the network.

It really is quite simple to put together. If in doubt, go to Lowrances website and find their network section and there are some diagrams there that should help you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Brilliant Moonlighter, life can be simplified afterall.