Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swag Advice

Re: Swag Advice

I just picked up a Camp Ezi "Rafferty" King Single
    pretty flash for a swag.... might as well call it a tent.

I dont plan on using it much, so didnt want to go all out on price, so it was only a cheapy at $239

Just put it up today one the lawn to season the canvas. I am pretty happy with it, will see after the first use in some rain though! ha ha ha

Got it from tent world at Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    I just picked up a Camp Ezi "Rafferty" King Single
    pretty flash for a swag.... might as well call it a tent.

I dont plan on using it much, so didnt want to go all out on price, so it was only a cheapy at $239

Just put it up today one the lawn to season the canvas. I am pretty happy with it, will see after the first use in some rain though! ha ha ha

Got it from tent world at Windsor.
    Lets me know how it goes

Burke and wills red gum was the only one I could find that zipped all the way to your feet on both sides so you don't have to sleep with you legs inside when your in a tent or a house or under a canopy and don't need to fully erect it.

mate value for money are the oztrail mitchell swags, had mine for years no dramas or leaks, king singles are around $180 then a double you can buy on ebay for around $280. See how you go

A mate and I went barra fishing and hunting up the gulf and he took his swag and I took mine just to sleep roadside along the way.

First night he was laughing at my swag as it really didn't have a zip up fly or tube framed dome like his did. Mine was an agricultural model and the fly was designed to tuck under the swag and it was made from triple weave shade cloth material. The swag is a real heavy canvas but the fly pretty basic but it worked okay.

Jon and I really struggled to sleep that night the mossies were unbelievable and it was insanely hot. Jon suggested that a scorpion could just walk into my swag and didn't even need to duck on it's way in - that thought helped me sleep.

After sweltering for a while I finally got to sleep but awoke a few hours later with a crunchy insect crawling in with me - so after jumping about for a while I discovered it was a dirty great beetle

Jon had a nice professionally made zip up swag but the fly was plain mozzie net and when he rolled onto his side his shoulders pushed against the net and they had a feast through the mesh. At least the mozzies didn't get me only the "scorpion"

We awoke not really rested at pre-dawn with a feral pig and his buddies coming to check us out roadside - yep they waltzed off pleased with themselves.

Jon named the swags - "bag of death"

My swag was made by a small family business and called "overlander" sure is a heavy canvas. Jon got his from ARB I think and no I don't know the name - lots of zips but not real great ventilation but did have an fibreglass and aluminium ferrule dome insert - but reckon the tip to get a mesh the bugs can't bite through it is very important.

After two nights travelling North and using the "bags of death" we got there and pitched the tent - Jon named it "the tent of ecstasy" - lotsa room - no bugs - great ventilation, waterproof - do love that tent.

Good luck on the swag.

Oh and the "bags of death" we got 18 years ago were about $350 each.
    Cheers

Trev