Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swag Advice

Swag Advice

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing my first swag and i am looking for advice.

Currently i sleep in the back of my old truck or on the beach etc etc but I'm getting a little older and would like to be more comfortable.( Sleeping under a trap when it rains isn't as fun any more ..lol)

I am looking at the Southern Cross Dome swag which appeals to me.

Thank you in advance

Re: Swag Advice

Check out the Burke and wills stuff

yeah mate some good deals to be had online. I got mine online shipped to the door cheaper than most places. Mrswagman wasn't bad but depending on how much of a heavy duty swag you are looking for though. Be realistic about what you want out of a swag as materials are the make or break depending on canvas quality etc. Plenty of choices out there some not the best. Another thing is note the sizes some that say double are no larger than some of the XL versions of other swags and cost about $150 bucks more. Good luck

My advice is buy quality. I have had mine for many years and it still does not leak or let in the sandflies when I set it up with the veil front on it. Agree about checking the size. Mine is a king single and is about a big as some others advertised as doubles.

Get a king single, you'll appreciate the extra room and make certain you get a good mattress.

There are some good self inflating ones around. Unless you're a lightweight, I'd look at a 10 cm thick one.

Like the guys have said, get one as big as you can. 14oz base min too I recon. And go for sand fly/midgie mesh instead of just mozzie mesh. I've got a Burke&Wills Coolabah, very happy with it. I've owned a basic swag for years and it was ok, but the B&W with the flexed cross poles (I don't know what else to call them) is great. If I'm gunna be under a tarp or on some ones lounge room floor I can still roll it out and just sleep on top. I've had a spinal fusion a few years ago but still find the 75mm matress very comfortable.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    MD

If you want the best and was already looking at the southern cross swag. Buy it! I have one and i wouldn't change it for the world. I have friends with others and they just look cheap compared to mine and don't look like they will last. Whatever you choose just don't forget to waterproof it by putting it out the front and hose it down and let it dry. Repeat about 3-4 times. It makes the zipper stitching tighten and waterproofs itself. Cheers
    Aaron.

Your right, there is some deals online....but sooo many choices

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    If you want the best and was already looking at the southern cross swag. Buy it! I have one and i wouldn't change it for the world. I have friends with others and they just look cheap compared to mine and don't look like they will last. Whatever you choose just don't forget to waterproof it by putting it out the front and hose it down and let it dry. Repeat about 3-4 times. It makes the zipper stitching tighten and waterproofs itself. Cheers
    Aaron.
    What size did you get and where did you purchase. I am having difficulty in finding prices and suppliers on-line. I had a look at the Southern Cross web site which doesn't give prices or at least i couldn't find any. Also what size is your mattress and is the fly screening keep out sand flies.

I got the king single I think. I think they are around $600. The mattress comes with it and yeah the fly screen keeps all insects out. Arb sell them.. Go into any arb store most of them have them on the floor as display. Cheers
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    I got the king single I think. I think they are around $600. The mattress comes with it and yeah the fly screen keeps all insects out. Arb sell them.. Go into any arb store most of them have them on the floor as display. Cheers
    Aaron
    Awsome,, thanks !!

I will pop into ARB at Capalaba and have a look

Another way to go about it. I have an old and dodgy square piece of tarp as my swag. I also carry a double mozzie dome with light weight fly. If weather good and no mozzies just swag it and if mozzies or rain put up the mozzie dome. Keeps things nice and light and compact. Some of those new tents they call swags are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by MackerelMan View Post
    Another way to go about it. I have an old and dodgy square piece of tarp as my swag. I also carry a double mozzie dome with light weight fly. If weather good and no mozzies just swag it and if mozzies or rain put up the mozzie dome. Keeps things nice and light and compact. Some of those new tents they call swags are huge.
    I normally do this mate( without mozzie net too). I sleep on the ground under a tarp but i am looking for a little more comfort these days and i am thinking about touring through Aust so a good set up might be worth the coin.

Thanks!

if more than one night or its wet I put the swag on a ally fold up stretcher these days, just make sure the stretcher is smaller than the swag so the water runs off. gives you room to put things out of the rain/dew under the stretcher

I run a 10cm self inflating mattress when on the ground but when on the stretcher its not needed and the swag rolls up smaller with the foam mattress in it

I also like to be able to see out of the swag to see the sea so I got a triangle one that the flaps lift up for X ventilation and light rain protection when still open

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    if more than one night or its wet I put the swag on a ally fold up stretcher these days, just make sure the stretcher is smaller than the swag so the water runs off. gives you room to put things out of the rain/dew under the stretcher

I run a 10cm self inflating mattress when on the ground but when on the stretcher its not needed and the swag rolls up smaller with the foam mattress in it

I also like to be able to see out of the swag to see the sea so I got a triangle one that the flaps lift up for X ventilation and light rain protection when still open

cheers Murf
    I couldnt agree more.The stretcher is the key to a good nights sleep.Not only that its a heap easier to get off a stretcher then off the ground.
    Making sure the swag is a tad bigger than the stretcher is another good one.Some blokes I knew that did a lot of sambar hunting put me onto that one.
    I have had a Downunder swag for 20 years.I dont even know if they still make them but mine has stood the test of time.

Toddy