Thread: Kurwongbah Krays

Kurwongbah Krays

Hey all..
    Went for a drive around Petrie area this morning. Thought about taking a few traps down the Forgan Cover area, but ended up givin it a miss. Drove down to youngs crossing and they had just reopened the road.. dont ask me why! it was flooded probably about shin deep and the water was racing across pretty quick. I just heard they closed it again.

Anyway, there were a few blokes throwing some traps out at Beeville Road / Torrens Road @ lake kurwongbah. I dont think ive ever tried there.. Does anybody know if there are many redclaw there? It didnt look likely for crays, lots of lily pads and weed, no real structure or trees / logs etc. There were a few dead tilapia laying along the banks as well. Cray fishin seems to be the only thing worth trying in this weather..

Had a look at the creek across from the paper mill (wiley park maybe?).. i dont know this area very well. There was a fella there fishin he got onto something big and snapped him off. Prob just a dirty old catty.

Cheers, Deano

Re: Kurwongbah Krays

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Hey all..
    Had a look at the creek across from the paper mill (wiley park maybe?).. i dont know this area very well. Cheers, Deano
    That "creek" Deano is the mighty Pine River..."creek" well I never!!!

Just joking, funny how the Pine does reduce to looking very much like a creek yet a few days ago was raging through there. They could have been on a little shark too, quite a few up there.

Sorry I can't help with your question about the redclaw, but will be interested to watch the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    That "creek" Deano is the mighty Pine River..."creek" well I never!!!

Just joking, funny how the Pine does reduce to looking very much like a creek yet a few days ago was raging through there. They could have been on a little shark too, quite a few up there.

Sorry I can't help with your question about the redclaw, but will be interested to watch the replies.
    Haha yeah. you would think i would know after living in the area for 27 years... i haved fished the pine at least 1000 times but never really that far down.

There is redclaw in Kurwongbah, have got them in my shrimp traps along the rock wall opposite the rowing club before. Not sure how many though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    There is redclaw in Kurwongbah, have got them in my shrimp traps along the rock wall opposite the rowing club before. Not sure how many though.
    Thats a real bummer then, Kurwongbah was a go to Shrimp haven, if there ared claw there now the shimps will drop their numbers dramatically.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Thats a real bummer then, Kurwongbah was a go to Shrimp haven, if there ared claw there now the shimps will drop their numbers dramatically.
    Thanks Jack & Feral. Im gonna head down there shortly to try my luck for a couple hours. Will whack up a few pics of the esky - empty or full.

Now that you mention the shrimp, i did see some small shrimp down at the waters edge.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Keep your shrimp pots really shallow, 4 or 5 inches of water over the top, usually keeps the claw away and results in reasonable numbers of shrimp.

Well I went down for about 3 hours. Not ONE CLAW. I blame it on having no rockmelon.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Well I went down for about 3 hours. Not ONE CLAW. I blame it on having no rockmelon.
    Where is the pic of the empty esky????
    Jack.

..... How it left and how it returned.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7455.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	76540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7456.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	76541  

I think these days there are more lakes with red claw than there are without red claw.

I'd be suprised if any lakes have no redclaw, Mike.
    Last year I went to Hinze Dam. They claim there are no Redclaw there. There definately are. And with the dam levels rising to new highs. some vegetation is being covered for the first time. Clawing in the Hinze will be hot in the future. Its worth going there if your local. We did the Pine last year. Heaps there. In the end we lost interest. Too easy to get a feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pero View Post
    I'd be suprised if any lakes have no redclaw, Mike.
    We did the Pine last year. Heaps there. In the end we lost interest. Too easy to get a feed.
    Pero, same here mate, we easily caught hundreds in a session in npd after the flood. It became more of a comp to see who could catch the biggest

There are redclaw at lake K but not in the numbers you get at NPD saw a bloke pull 4 traps and he had one in each all large ones.
    Dino