Thread: Fitting a tacho

Fitting a tacho

I was wondering how hard and what is involved in fitting a tacho to my 1999 40 hp four stroke Merc [ Yamaha power head] tiller steer?

Re: Fitting a tacho

Thanks fed,have you got one fitted and are they a good thing, any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Stik-ugly View Post
    Thanks fed,have you got one fitted and are they a good thing, any problems?

G'day

I have one fitted to the tiller handle of my 50 Tohatsu for the thundercat. They are a very good thing.

Dave

I haven't used one but they've been around for a long time & I've only ever heard good things about them.
    The only downside I can see is the non replaceable battery.
    Got a gut feeling there could be some knockoffs hanging around on ebay so steer clear of them if you see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I haven't used one but they've been around for a long time & I've only ever heard good things about them.
    The only downside I can see is the non replaceable battery.
    Got a gut feeling there could be some knockoffs hanging around on ebay so steer clear of them if you see any.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/tacho-tin...item45fd2d00e3

could be a cheap knock off as fed suggested,but solas seem to have a reasonable name for themselves and only $30 if you go halves with a mate and a 3 year battery life.

I checked the tiny tach website and it stated that there is an Aust. distributor, so I gave them a ring for a price and availability and was quoted $150 +gst ! This looks like another one for the discussion on prices here compared to over seas. They really do make it hard to buy here. The US website was priced at $47 plus postage.

Grabbed on last year from Ebay for about $60, works fine on my Yammi 40 efi. As it updated every 1/2 second the figure does wander a lot and is fine to check you engine hours and figure out which prop you need but I'm not sure you would want to stare at it all day. Well worthwhile checking out youtube which as quite a few clips of it use.