Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: jig combo

Re: jig combo

I don't really go jigging on charters, but i know Rodrick from RU4REEL Charters has heaps of experience in that style of fishing

You should see him working a jig, he's an animal

cheers tim

Coodgee,

It's mackerel season - so I'll only be fishing the inshore reefs for the next few months, in my mate's 17ft half cabin. I probably won't be doing any jigging until about August. I've read a few of Smithy's posts - it looks like he gets heaps of fish.

I'd like to take credit for being 'good at jigging', but using my style, there really isn't much to it. More important, is having the right gear (not necessarily super-expensive), tying good knots, and being in the right place at the right time.

Cheers,
    Brent.

I have a question to all you Jigman ??

I am looking at getting a Jigging outfit to use for mainly AJ's out at Square Patch.
    I have a heavy outfit setup to use 300g + so I am looking for an outfit to fish 200g - 300g, on a budget..
    Do you think a Daiwa Saltist 4500H spooled with 40 braid on a T-Curve Revolution Vertical 150 - 250 Jig rod will be ok ???

Cheers
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    I have a question to all you Jigman ??

I am looking at getting a Jigging outfit to use for mainly AJ's out at Square Patch.
    I have a heavy outfit setup to use 300g + so I am looking for an outfit to fish 200g - 300g, on a budget..
    Do you think a Daiwa Saltist 4500H spooled with 40 braid on a T-Curve Revolution Vertical 150 - 250 Jig rod will be ok ???

Cheers
    Brett

The combo you listed will set you back around $464 without braid, it will do the job but the saltist won't hold up to the pressure of jigging forever. If i was looking for a cheap light jigging set up i would look at a new Daiwa monster mesh 250 and i would switch the saltist for a saragosa 14000F. The combo i suggested is only slightly dearer at $498 but in my opinion it will be a much better combo.

cheers tim

I have the monster mesh max 250. It's a pretty light rod really. I've had it bending right down to the reel seat on an aj (livies). Goes good with my gosa 8000

well fella's i just picked up the bling from outwide1,just got to spool the reel and i am fully set to have a crack.nice meeting you mick and the jigs look great.will have to keep tim d away from them or the bugger will take them home for dinner,lol
    cheers rosco

Let us know how you go Rosco.

Rosco, your all set now. I would be trying to drag out someone like Madmakrel on your first trip. It would make the transition a lot easier. when you watch the guys who know what they are doing get into it you can see why its so addictive
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

yeah mate perry is on the top of my list..but i think we will be in his boat...will start hounding him to take me out now

cheers rosco

monday is looking good mate

You should start a jigging school mad mackerel. I'd pay to be a student

yeah i know it is perry but i got to work mate otherwise i would of been there.will have to tee something up soon mate.

Hi Rosco,i just used the fin-nor offshore jigspins,very happy for $270 or so a great start i reckon.
    Cheers,Gav.

I'd like to take credit for being 'good at jigging', but using my style, there really isn't much to it. More important, is having the right gear (not necessarily super-expensive), tying good knots, and being in the right place at the right time.

Cheers,
    Brent.[/QUOTE]

Well said Brent.
    Cheers Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Coodgee View Post
    You should start a jigging school mad mackerel. I'd pay to be a student
    Mate a lot more people out there better than myself . I dont mind passing on what i know but i wont be charging for it, come out with me and ill let you use some of my gear which might also head you in the right direction regarding what outfit you will purchase.

Cheeers Perry