Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ''FCB'' Security Checks

Re: ''FCB'' Security Checks

Well I have a sneaky suspicion that the recording we hear is controlled by a motion sensor.
    Every time I have walked past one location at their Lawnton store the recording goes off, seriously. Not once has a staff member come near me offering assistance or perform a security check on me.

I have noticed that for the past year or so, just walk around the last aisle nearest the Zman's, see what happens.

I think there must be a timer for it to only happen once every five minutes or so from when somebody triggers it.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    Mate worked for them it is just a recording that comes in every so often to help deter theft K mart and the other big stores do it as well nothing to worry about if your not doing anything wrong lol
    never a problem Shane.when you hear : "security check in aisle 3" and you are in aisle 7 not a problem.

I posted that this was happening to me at a cbf shop in runnaway bay a while ago.... so god damn rude especially when you are the only one in the shop... what a rediculous strategy to deter theft.. but seems like an awesome strategy to deter customers.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

One thing is for sure about all this, the little ranga dude @ BCF Virginia really loves his job as the gas man !

Bit harsh on some ofthese stores ..its just a recording after all.. Trouble is, so many of these places have to deal with huge amounts of theft, so prpobably try anythig for some security. Its not just Supercheap & 'FCB", also in K mart and many other stores. Frankly, I would just ignore it and keep going about my business and shop if theres something I'm wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I agree Mossy..back when we were buying the cruiser, at several places we could not get an anwser about the boats..as I have told this one on here before..we were looking at a 28' boat at a dealer..asked if I could go on board and have a look at the 30'..the sales guy told me I could not afford it. I was wearing my bestest yard mowing clobber..perception nailed him on a potential sale.
    It was probably a sales ply, to make you more determined to buy it, bet he sells a lot like that.

You just didnt't take the bait/.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    It was probably a sales ply, to make you more determined to buy it, bet he sells a lot like that.

You just didnt't take the bait/.
    it didn't work..they went broke

Gee whizz, there seem to be a lot of self conscious people here. Just because the recorded is message is giving a hint to potential thieves does not necessarily mean that it was aimed at you. It is not all about you. Well, not this time, at least.

The more you shop at certain stores, the more you will hear these messages. I even hear them at Bunnings. The staff won't even notice them because they hear them several times each day.

BTW, there is usually a fair bit of male bitchiness towards BCF in these forums but I once had an older secretary who went to school with the bloke who started Supercheap and obviously went on to add BCF and now other brands like Goldcross Cycles, Ray's Outdoors, and Rebel Sport. She reckoned that he was a very ordinary and decent fellow who worked at Myer before branching out on his own. She was a lady who had a propensity to express harsh opinions about people with failings in her eyes but she had nice things to say about the Supercheap bloke because he was such an ordinary person.

It seems to me that here we have an average bloke who had a go at starting a business and done good at it.

So when you shop at BCF, you are supporting the little guy who knows how to be a retailer. What's wrong with that? Clearly his success shows that the public likes how he does business.

You guys who complain about "security in aisle 3", need to seriously have a look at the pile of stolen packets found after a weekends trade.................of course stores factor in shrinkage "as mentioned already", common sense must tell you that surely. Ya can't tell me that if your happily browsing for lures and you hear the security message and it makes you want to leave the store, then leave and go online to buy your gear.........sheesh vote with your feet man.

There are people who go on family shopping sprees (daily) and then sell the goods to make a living........... and there a profiles of people who fit a "suspect" profile..........you must have seen tv showing people dressed like their going to the north pole while visiting a store in the middle of summer!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on...................

On average for every item that is stolen it will take the sale of 6 other items to reclaim the cost price of the stolen item. So when your shopping and you see an empty packet on the ground, remember it will take your sale and five others to make up the cost of that stolen item.......... this is based on AVERAGE figures over a stores stock items, not every little packet.

Secuuuuriiitttyyyy cheeeeecckkkkk to aisle 3....................lol a small price to pay to be able to "go into" a store and touch, feel and visually see an item before you buy it, rather than a piccie online. Mind you there ain't no "security calls to aisle 3" when you shop online.................lol
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather hear the recorded message 'if' I choose to go into a large chain fishing tackle outlet than know that the second I walk into a David Jones store that I have cameras on me that can be manipulated and controlled to track me through every single part of the store. The only part of a DJ's store they do not have cameras is in the change room cubicles, although there are still cameras in the change room area / hallway itself.

DJ's have an entire department devoted to 'Loss Prevention', there is a team of security personnel sitting in a control room with multiple screens scanning the images, tracking and zooming in on 'suspicious' persons through the store through use of the latest and greatest digital video recorders, they even have a wanted board of offenders photos and are constantly on the lookout for these people to even enter the store.

DJ's lose millions of dollars per annum to theft and are so paranoid about loss prevention that their own staff must use a specific entry / exit point that is always manned by a member of the loss prevention team and they thoroughly check every bag of every employee before they leave the store, not just shopping bags but ladies handbags and all.

Theft is a major part of retail, it's sad but true and we all pay for it in the long run, whether we buy online or at the local.

Kev

BigW always has at least one person at the main entry and exit place for thier stores and check all baggage as a rule. They do catch a few too that I have noticed.

I don't care about any broadcast as they will never find me guilty of shoplifting and I detest people who do it. Theft of anything is still theft and illegal.
    Jack.

In the late eighties I worked for a large supermarket. We had an estimated one dollar a minute on average stolen from our store. This was long before the crime wave that we currently have hit. I would hate to see what the current theft rate is with the high level of crime over-all and factoring in CPI.

On a side note I had to laugh to myself when the state government decided to pass laws saying that only persons over the age of 18 can lawfully buy spray paint. They brought it in thinking that it would curb tagging by graffiti vandals.

Are they kidding or what. Did our politicians really think that these graffiti vandals bought the paint? They steal it. When we would see certain individuals leave the store we went and checked the spray paint on the shelves and they cleaned us out time after time. Shows just how out of touch with reality most politicians are.

Louis

Taggers don't buy much paint at all, usually just a can..........then stick another half dozen in their back pack. They will come in with mates who also have backpacks too. On the way out the first couple will happily show what isn't in their backpacks while the last one or so will cruise past with the stolen haul of paint. Even if they get caught and charged nothing happens to them, maybe a slap on the wrist if your lucky. They will then come back next week and if they get refused entry, claim discrimination against the store and try to get police involved, or their parents come down to get "involved"....... it's the parents who need discipline more than the kids sometimes.
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!