Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

Hi all
    Heading out to Monduran in the first week of feb.
    Would just like to know what are the barra biting on at the moment?
    Only there for 3 days with a boat so want the best possible chance of catching one
    Thanks in advance, Todd.

Re: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

classic barra's for trolling and hollowbellies for casting

small hardbodies like the X Rap - XR10

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was speaking to some last night that was up there last weekend and only 3 caught they did miss a few but only small ones, they lost a 70-80cm and the ones caught only 50-60cm stuff 4-5inch soft plastics i think were used.

Yeah I'll back the Gadens - Classics or RMG's in 120mm, good to have a range of colours and depths. But drop in to Foxies on the way in and find out what the gun lure is and grab a couple. Its always been a dam for specific patterns and lures catching fish. One trip it was guns N Roses, and nothing else, another trip it was blue lures, another trip and it was bleeding mullet. COuldn't get a barra on a different colour for love or money, but good hauls on the gun colour.

Thanks so much for the help guys!
    Yeah Foxies is in my gps for the way up there
    Ill list the lures I bought a week orso ago, I asked the assistant what lures to buy and he got me these:
    Switchblade 1/2 silver fire
    Classic barra 120 +10 purple dazzler
    Classic Barra 120 +15 Mullet Gold Dazz
    Warlock 125 Guns and Roses
    Sandviper 140 Shallow Runner

and some squidgie 130 slickrigs in dropbear

Do I just take all the lures I have and talk to the boys at Foxies and see what they are biting on? Or is there any lures I should leave behind.
    Do they also point us in the right direction for areas to try? We are only hiring a 6hp so I dont think we can get too far!
    Thanks again,
    Todd.

Take everything, but keep it safe, there is times when the thieves go through the camp grounds and lift anything not nailed down.

Toddo
    go with naggs suggestion at the moment but up grade the hooks with either decoy widegaps or owners they are taking small suspending lures at the moment most caught very early morning to 8am then late arvo till dark mainly up around D and J and a few bays a bit further up

shane

Thanks for the help
    I normally do braid to lure for my basic bream and flathead fishing.
    What is everyone using up there?
    My 2 rods are:
    2500 sahara reel
    Berkeley 2-4kg with 10lb braid
    4000 sahara reel
    shimano 6-10kg with 20lb braid

Should I be tying from braid straight to lure? If not what should I use and what knots?

Thanks guys, Sorry about all the questions just want this trip to be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    Thanks for the help
    I normally do braid to lure for my basic bream and flathead fishing.
    What is everyone using up there?
    My 2 rods are:
    2500 sahara reel
    Berkeley 2-4kg with 10lb braid
    4000 sahara reel
    shimano 6-10kg with 20lb braid

Should I be tying from braid straight to lure? If not what should I use and what knots?

Thanks guys, Sorry about all the questions just want this trip to be worth it
    You need to be using a minimum of 40lb mono at the moment ......... maybe 60lb
    a barra of a moderate 70cm will abrade through 40lb pretty quickly if the lure is inhaled. We normally fished 55lb Schnieder (0.8mm) when fishing impoundments ..... specially using plastics = This leader is thick for its breaking strain - equiv to 80lb black magic ...... but it has wonderful abrasive resistance .
    Any of the heavy leader knot connections will do (albright )
    While small fish are being caught ...... there are still some big ones floating around

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Albright.

Keep your leader short. About 3 foot should do. The more guides the abright knot travels over during a cast the less casting distance you will get when casting the light lures mentioned above.

Thanks alot for all the advice. I just went down to the shops and bought all the gear I needed. Any more advice on where to fish at the lake would be really helpfull!

Middle of the dam seems to be the area working at present. Talk to Foxie at the Barra Tackle shop on you way through at Gin Gin for the latest advice on where the fish are biting and what to use.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

below the spillway (beyond 400M) will be the go ......... Mondy is spilling over again

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

After rain like this i would be throwing dark green lures around congested debris, i painted a couple Pristine Lures dark green with a red head, they would swim about 30cm below the surface and after heavy downpours worked a treat time and time again. Look for debris off the bank washed around standing timber. If i can see another boat i move, i usually fish around the bend of F, drift as far off the timber as you can so when you cast your lure it goes in about 2m past the line of the timber and retrieve slowly. Stealth is the ultimate key at Mondy. If the bite is not producing try deeper, 1-3m, or slow roll slick rigs off the bottom. Try differnt speeds, different depths, i like to find a bank in the middle of the channel and cast around it, 2-18ft of water.
    Tough fishery but worth the persistance.
    Good Luck
    Lee