Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

Re: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

I was up there with a group on the weekend and we landed 3 at 600mm. Heaps of catties and 1 Bass ( the size of the lure ) Still a great spot to not catch many fish : ) all fish were early morning.
    Cheers,
    Rosco.

Great work rosco!

A Tilson Australia 'Big Barra' in the Green Mackerel pattern is an absolute must for my barra tackle box.

The Rob Gadon Classic Barra lures have also done well for me in the past, especially the reflective gold/black colour.

In PNG my mate caught a 116cm barra on a Reidy's 'The Judge' lure in a lightish blue.

Anyway, there's plenty of lure options around and it can be a bit 'hit n miss' trying to get a result, so you just gotta keep at it...

When I was in PNG all I seemed to be able to catch was Black Bass for the first few trips down the Fly River (Suki area). I got some very chunky bass too, between 85-90cm+ but I really wanted to land some wild-caught barra.

The Suki Creek location had both Barra and Black Bass but eventually, after a few trips the barra Gods started smiling at me and I started landing some regular barra. In one session I caught 13 in 30 mins and the very first cast in the same spot the next day landed me a 104cm barra - ALL on a Tilsan Green Mackerel - with my mate casting into the same hole during the same session with a different lure & not hooking anything.

So there you go...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."