Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

Re: Lake Monduran, best lures for barra?

Thanks so much for all the extremely helpful information.
    Ill keep the thread open and let you know what I catch
    I only have one question left; Is there any way to get a detailed map with locations such as d,j, and f on them? I keep seeing people say they are good fishing, but cant find a map with them on.

Yes mate stop at foxies barra havoc about $11 for a map or so. i think the kiosk at mondy may have them as well ,and ask foxie to point you in the direction of D and insane bay and J

shane

Awesome thanks mate
    As we only have a boat for 2 days, where do you suggest land based? As previous stated below the dam wall, is it easy to get to?

Sorry about all the questions.
    Todd.

As previous stated below the dam wall, is it easy to get to?

yes it is but be carefull not to get caughr fishing there as you are not suppose to be down there
    at the road just past the kiosk at mondy turn right at the showers go to the end of the road climb the fence walk to the bottom of the steep hill you will see a quarry on your right you need to go left there should be a well worn track by now only about 400 to the river water hole or you can check out driving over the dam wall and going down that way a lot steeper but better fishing hole but if people are at the dam wall installation working do not go down and wear shoes and watch the joe blakes (snakes)

Just back from Monduran and robersl post is spot on. The spillway has been going over 4 a couple of days

Thanks robersl, all of your posts are extremely informative and helpful!!
    Im guessing quite a hefty fine if your caught fishing the spillway too? :S
    Any point land based fishing around the boat ramps near the holiday park?

Thanks bludog, How did you go? What were they biting on

Do not fish within 400M of the spillway (downstream) - It's illegal !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

That dam is tempremental worry more about water tempreture than worry about the lure. Good luck youll need it...........

If you have the wind and sun on your back you have a good chance.

Thanks guys for all the info.
    Caught about 10 Catfish and hooked up twice but couldnt land it due to the barra running straight to the timber.
    Oh well it was fun! Was hot as hell though.

Catty heaven ......... since (most) of the big barra have gone the catty population is exploding (from all accounts) as those big barra didn't mind the odd feed of catfish.
    Shame you didn't land those barra - it would have made the trip just that more worthwhile . You can see why people get into fishing for them though - awesome fun and heart stopping when fishing in tiger country.
    btw - what lures got eaten ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah it was a rush when they grabbed on!
    Funnily enough a Halco Hamma 85mm in Caviar colour, lost one with the 1m bib on and one with the 3m bib on.
    I had 3 of these lures and thought I would give them a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info.
    Caught about 10 Catfish and hooked up twice but couldnt land it due to the barra running straight to the timber.
    Oh well it was fun! Was hot as hell though.
    Hi Toddo sounds like you had a bit of fun even if it was only catties ,if you have an electric on your boat next time you hook up a fish and he goes for the tree;s it may pay to freespool and give chase on the elecy

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    Yeah it was a rush when they grabbed on!
    Funnily enough a Halco Hamma 85mm in Caviar colour, lost one with the 1m bib on and one with the 3m bib on.
    I had 3 of these lures and thought I would give them a shot
    Those Hammas look pretty good - personally I haven't tried one ..... but reckon a good number of species would be all over them. Well done

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hit up mondy for my 1st trip with my old man 9-12th feb, can honestly say I will be back such an awesome body of water! was hard fishing but being mexicans from cod country (now the sunny coast) we stuck at it and were both lucky to land fish. only around the 600mm but that whet the appetite for sure. The 1st day we struggled finding our way around to find fishable water improved from there with one dropped fish the next day 2 landed the sat and 1 on the sun morning. Can't imagine how good it would be when they are on and getting connected to a big girl.