Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: warning to all fellow fishers - Skincancer

Re: warning to all fellow fishers - Skincancer

my old man died from melanoma and his symptoms and the speed of his demise were alarmingly similar to what tunaticer has described but a smidge slower as it was all around my old man's liver/kidneys/lungs and not his heart. 4 weeks from diagnosis to stopping breathing, enough time to get stuff in order for mum and say goodbye to his mates so still better than a car accident but shocking nonetheless so cover up or possibly pay the price, good reminder to us all adam so thanx, although the way beachmere is at the moment we are in more danger of drowning than skin cancer.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my mrs and myself smoke but she gave up 7mths ago the doctor put her on champax it worked after 2 months she stoped but finished the 3 month course i could not go on this drug for medical reasons i walk outside around my paddock to have a fag i hate the bassttaarrdd things but keep saying ill stop 45yrs of smoking don;t do you no good i will buy some of this gum and give it a go i did try patches infact i stuck one on each cheek of my backside on my last trip to rockhampton and smoked 30 fags on the way to, maybe i should be chewing aswell.
    cheers,Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    my mrs and myself smoke but she gave up 7mths ago the doctor put her on champax it worked after 2 months she stoped but finished the 3 month course i could not go on this drug for medical reasons i walk outside around my paddock to have a fag i hate the bassttaarrdd things but keep saying ill stop 45yrs of smoking don;t do you no good i will buy some of this gum and give it a go i did try patches infact i stuck one on each cheek of my backside on my last trip to rockhampton and smoked 30 fags on the way to, maybe i should be chewing aswell.
    cheers,Hilly
    Mate, if you hate them so much you have to tell yourself you really want to stop smoking, and keep telling yourself. Unfortunately only you can do it. Nobody else can do it for you.
    I feel for the smokers who would like to quite. I still like the smell from smokes, but would never entertain the idea of going back to them.

Hi Adam

Great post. I also have 6 monthly check ups for skin cancer. Had about 8 removed thus far, none of the melanoma thankfully. I am in teh high risk group though, bad sun attitude when I was young and living in the tropics.

I have also given up smoking recently, it has been just over a year now. I promised my wife that if she got pregnant that I would give up smoking. I am an older first time dad at 38, and wanted a long healthy life to see my kids grow up. Your motivation will be all around you!!!! FYI - I used Champix to give up. Surprisingly easy!! I have tried in the past with patches, cold turkey and the other drug (the name of which escapaes me). Champix really was easy!! I only experienced 1 day of "pain".

Good luck mate, it can be done!!!! See the other success stories on here also.

Thank you for sharing your experienece with sun cancer also. It really pays to have the checks. Like others on this post, I have also experieneced loss through melanoma.

Regards Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I was a smoker from about 15 to 40yrs. Best thing I eva did was throw the durries away.
    same here , chucked it in 2006, about 53 years to late.
    Now can't stand the smell of the things.

Chin up Adam! I was in your position 15 years ago, I had 3 melanomas cut out and then went onto 3 monthly checks for about 5 years and regular blood tests in case they missed seeing something.

I am now 46 and had no more cancers cut out in those 15 years. Now on 6 monthly checks and the Dr freezes or cuts anything he sees. I do not care if I score a few unnecessary scars, I would rather that and be around to hassle my kids, chase the wife around and get a feed occasionally.

All in all better to get em cut or burnt when they are small even if not cancerous just to be still here!!!

Trev
    Last edited by Y-Not; 25-01-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: grammer

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adam, I gave up the fags cold turkey after about 20 odd years smoking shitloads when my 2 boys started to put No Smoking stickers on our glass sliding doors.....OMG they were onll about 8 and 10 but their message hit home to me...never had one since.

I have also had a melanoma cut out as well as dozens of BCC's and a few SCC'c which are a bit worse.....prob caused by the sun but assisted by the smoking mate.

Mate, I know it is hard but it really only takes about 3 days for the hurt to pass...the addiction stays forever, I still like the smell of others smoking and still get the urge....been about 14 years without one now tho.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Adam , I have also just had a cancer cut out I have shitty White skin and having a job in the sun all day I guess it was inevitable . One day I was workin away and noticed a black thing on my arm so booked an apointment at the docs for that arvo . I found out that the black dot was just a blood blister but he then pointed out to me that what I had thought was just dry skin on the backs of my hands were actualy cancer ! He burned off six and and had to cut one out . Just shows that you need check ups, if it wasn't for that blood blister who knows when I would have gotten around to getting one.

On the smoking side I gave up 4 years ago I smoked from around 12 till I was 30 and ended up with a pack of thirties per day habit.
    Now I loved smoking I really did , I especially loved one with a coffee in the morning I didn't want to give up but knew I had to for the sake of my children and wife( who hassled the crap out of me for years) so this is how I went about it and it workedfor me .firstly I made a bet with a mate of mine for a some money . I then worked out that my habit cost about $120 per week and said to the misses I'll give the fags away but $80 dollars per week was to go into my personal account for me to do what I like with. The next thing I did was bought patches , I didn't use as directed I would only put one one when I couldnt handle the cravings any longer . Knowing that by the time it worked I had forgotten about wanting a smoke . This made my parches last twice as long .
    The money that went into my account added up over two years bought my 4.8 mtr centre console boat!! And last year paid for our holiday . Still have the money going into my acc now but most gets spent on tackle / upgrades and fuel for fishing .
    Giving up smoking was one of the best things I have achieved ( wife and kids aside.) hope this helps.
    Marcus

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

got myself some stop smoking gum today this thread has realy got me determined to quit ill keep you posted fellas how i go start tomorro.
    cheers,Hilly

got myself some stop smoking gum today this thread has realy got me determined to quit ill keep you posted fellas how i go start tomorro.
    cheers,Hilly
    Good on ya. Hilly. and good luck. Don't forget to change or alter habits.

Hi all, further to this discussion i just bought myself a new Columbia fishing/paddlers hat, ive had a melanoma and its in the family so i cover up pretty well, this hat covers the face very well and is light and pretty cool. I bought several which im happy to sell to Ausfish members for what they cost me(price + post from the states) have listed in the 'other' classifieds on here if interested.
    Cheers
    FR

Got my yearly check up on Friday. Not looking forward to it.....i know im going to walk out with numerous 'frozen blisters'....epecially the one on my nose. No doubt going to get a rev up about my liver count too lol.

Blog Entries

cheers,Hilly
    So Hilly, how did it go? Really hope you can kick it mate.

The silence is deafening.

i spent 23 hours in the boat just before i went into melanoma scan at brookside and was very paranoid about going in sunburnt. went in without any sunburn and got 3 sunspots burnt off for the second time, the doc said that ALL BOATIES ARE At HIGH RISK, yearly check ups are the go. if you have a medicare card it is free. worth the 5 minutes out of your day for peace of mind.