Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kayak vs landbased

kayak vs landbased

g'day all,

My situation is i'm a landbased but finding it hard to get decent hook up on regular basis. Atm i'm only getting catfish on lures and bait.

Would a kayak help me with getting more decent hook up?

i have an ute soo transport shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    As for experience i started fishing last year and mainly fish rivers near ippy and occasionally hit the Big W.
    Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

cheers brad

Re: kayak vs landbased

Course it will, I don't own one but I know in a yak you got a lot more choices.
    You can troll or sit put in a hole.

Another thing that has made me consider one is you can sit off the bank in a yak and cast towards mangrove clustered banks flicking plastics into the deep holes in area that by foot you would be up to your neck in mud, scratches and tangled line.

I don't have one but I think others would agree you will have access to a lot more.

Sorry this is just an observers opinion from the banks.
    Many times I have wished I had a yak just to sit off that 50 meters of overgrown bank I cant get to by land.

a kayak will definitely give you more options. BUT..be careful if a nocive and deciding on yakking on Big W..it is bloody big and can get quite choppy on it. Stay close to the banks etc until you get some experience.

What is the Big W you guys mention? Wivenhoe dam?I plan or purchasing a kayak later in the year as I have wanted one for years for fishing and exercise. There are so many places around Brisbane alone to explore with a kayak without heading up or down the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    What is the Big W you guys mention? Wivenhoe dam?I plan or purchasing a kayak later in the year as I have wanted one for years for fishing and exercise. There are so many places around Brisbane alone to explore with a kayak without heading up or down the coast.
    I doubt BIG W (the store) may not like you dragging your kayak through it looking for a better position to troll or sit and bide the time away....

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    Big W = Wivenhoe.

another bit of advice when you get a yak..try and do a deep water re-entry onto it..not as easy as it may sound. But it could save your life when you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Big W = Wivenhoe.

another bit of advice when you get a yak..try and do a deep water re-entry onto it..not as easy as it may sound. But it could save your life when you know what to do.
    Yeh you would want to be pretty quick at your re-entries incase you ever fall off.
    Never know what would be underneath

LOL YJ..I don't think too many sharks reside in Big W

I didnt say that haha! the vid is there just for entertainment .... or nightmares for sea kayakers

Get the yak, it will open up a whole new world of fishing for you. I prefer my yak over my boat. Only time the boat comes out of the shed is when I am taking the kids.

Dont worry about Wivanhoe, all the big bass are in the river below the dam now many reports of good bass coming out of the river.

If you live up Ipswich way, not far to go to access the gun bass spots. If you want salt, Kookaburra park, upstream of the ramp (to avoid the ski lice as it is a 6knot zone) is good for a fish from the Yak.

Kayak all the way. You can access all different sorts of water and fish, fresh and salt. If you want to try the kayak experience, let me know. I have a couple of kayaks and fish Colleges regularly.
    Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra

Yes the action/hotspots are always out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Course it will, I don't own one but I know in a yak you got a lot more choices.
    You can troll or sit put in a hole.

Another thing that has made me consider one is you can sit off the bank in a yak and cast towards mangrove clustered banks flicking plastics into the deep holes in area that by foot you would be up to your neck in mud, scratches and tangled line.

I don't have one but I think others would agree you will have access to a lot more.

Sorry this is just an observers opinion from the banks.
    Many times I have wished I had a yak just to sit off that 50 meters of overgrown bank I cant get to by land.

That would be awesome Noddy1 , let me know when your available/when's a good time for you!!!

A kayak will only expand your options. Your ability or lack of such will always limit your catch......

Go the kayak. The following 2 pics are of Big W bass. One 50cm and the other (lap shot) is 53cm, which were all caught in Wivy.

Cheers,

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================