Thread: How old is Ausfish? What is its "story"? Are any original members still active?

How old is Ausfish? What is its "story"? Are any original members still active?

I am really enjoying being a bit more active again on this site. I still really feel like a new member in many ways having had long times off the site and being a pretty average angler compared to some of the experts on this site.

Anyway my enjoyment of the site and noticing that Horse has been a member since 2002 got me wondering how long Ausfish has been in existence and whether any of the original members are still active.

It looks to me like the General Fishing Chat forum is the oldest active part of this site. It dates back to 2001.

It is such a fantastic site, I'd be interested to hear some of its history as an online community and how it got to be what it is today.

Stories / memories anyone?

Re: How old is Ausfish? What is its "story"? Are any original members still active?

You will find a " Advanced Search " icon ( typed words ) at the top right hand side of the page... near the Magnifying Glass thing.

Try using different words etc and you'll get used to finding all sorts of info.

Basically Ausfish was started in 1994 as the first online tackle shop.

It progressed from there and added a Forum in...mmm forget. But it was very basic.. and I mean basic.

The forum has evolved over time and has had a few upgrades.

We have over 106,000 registered members of which a percentage log in daily.

We have over 16,000 people utilising the Ausfish.com.au email service

Data for March 2011 - 265,436 visits, 1,263,866 page views and 140,044 visitors.Certainly there are a number of originals still here abouts..In a profile, if you see a join date Aug 2001, that will be a long term member ( this date was used when an upgrade took place ) although members joined before then.

There is more to the forums than the forum itself...

Up the top of the pages there is

Products... for sale
    Hints and Tips
    Weather & Tides
    Free Stuff
    Advertise with Ausfish

also there is the Arcade , Calendar, members business directory and much more.

Again, the " advanced search " will become your friend... it's like an internal google search...

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: How old is Ausfish? What is its "story"? Are any original members still active?

Thanks for that Phil

I had seen a few 2001 members once I started looking more carefully, but none older, thanks for explaining why in your post.

Again, great site.
    Tim

How time flies - I remember it as a BB

Sure has changed and it was slow on dial up

Yep, people still remember " dial up ".

I was Hosting a Nine MSN chatroom forum called " Sports Tonight " and part of that was a Thursday Night Trivia night.

I asked the questions and had folks form all over OZ answer them. Trouble was, some of them were on cable and most, like me on dial up. So the advantage always went to the cable guys as they recieved, processed and answered before the dial up people could even " read " the question.

The AF BB ( Bulletin Board ) was a line by line affair and more like a chat forum than what it is today.

At one stage we had a " Live Chat " forum running, but that was canned for various reasons. Main reason was you couldn't show, using your arms, how big that fish was ..... yep, nothing beats in person chats over a coldie.......... the fish just keep getting bigger.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I remember my first internet connection, with Powerup.

Took 15 little floppy discs to load the Powerup software into the computer, and had a 14.4k modem. Man it was soooo slow.

Mike

Looks like Ausfish is near as old as some of the stories.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Trouble is some of the old timers must be real old by now ??

Thumbs up What is its "story"?

A Great QUEENSLANDER website for RecFishos

A little bit of

A lot of

Some of this and this

and a LOT OF THAT

jmo

I'm not original but 12 years might mean something, well to me anyway. I was BreamReaper originally when i joined in 2000 but couldn't remeber my password sometime (work and family life at the time kept me off here for a few years) later after the 2001 upgrade so had to set up again. I don't reply or comment on here much because of some fools that used to carry on way to much on the site, but there is also some top blokes. I do read at least 3 times a week. So much can be learnt from some guys on here.

Well done to all the long term members, wish i had known this site when i was a pup.. It's really kool to see other fisho's sharing there awesome stories, its great reading and a learning experience..i have learnt more on here in just a couple of weeks than i have in my so call fishing yrs, and would like to thank everyone for there helpful infomation which made me realise "Why did i stop".

Thanks Adam for putting me on to this site..

Cheers
    Billy(The crazy kiwi)

i have been around since later 90s -2000 ish, this is my 3rd name, no never been banned etc just problems logging in, easier to start again, been on that other net fish site even longer but have not posted in 10 years or so.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

How hard would it be to sort out and delete all the "gone finish" members who say haven't used the site for twelve months?

They are only dead wood and don't show a true representation of active members!

Might also be a good way to get them interested again and maybe use this great site again..................

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    How hard would it be to sort out and delete all the "gone finish" members who say haven't used the site for twelve months?

They are only dead wood and don't show a true representation of active members!

Might also be a good way to get them interested again and maybe use this great site again..................
    Not too sure that 12 months is long enough. We have had periods (looooong periods) of not fishing and not posting between 2007 when we joined and now, but have always enjoyed returning home when we got back into it...we'd certainly have been deleted under the rule you are suggesting