Thread: Crabbing newbie

Crabbing newbie

Hi all

After catching a couple of legal crabs on rod and reel at my favourite canal recently I have invested the princely sum of $15 (plus 75 cents for 10 metres of rope) in a collapsible crab pot and will try it tomorrow.

As this is my first crabbing attempt I have done some research and will use a tin of cat food in the pot as suggested on this site.

I will be landbased so will place the pot in when I start fishing the incoming tide and collect it on the outgoing tide when I leave.

As I will be dragging it in from shore do I need to tie my rope to the side or top - I thought if I tied it to the top it may tip up and the crabs will fall out. Is this correct?

Any other tips for land based crabbing would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Re: Crabbing newbie

Not a bad idea mate, I might give it a try myself (I am mostly landbased aswell)
    Also keen to know where to tie the rope too.

Just have got to wait for a day off to try lol!

Cheers,
    Jack

Thanks Jack - at least I know it wasn't such a silly question if someone else wants to know also.

Which style of collasible pot did you buy?? Rectangular ones or round one with the trawler mesh and PVC posts?

The round ones you simply tie to one edge of the top ring (the drawstring side), the rectangular pots I like to use a small carabiner to go around the two middle frames that come together on one side at the top. I find the screw carabiners easier to manage than tying and untying and retying every time you set the pot and check. You need to grab both middle frames because the clips they use can and do fail at times.

Don't use pots land based off rock walls, the chances are they will snag and you will lose them and they will ghost catch for months afterwards with each fish that enters becoming bait for the next one that gets caught.
    Jack.

Thanks for the advice Tunaticer.I certainly don't want to lose the pot or cause any harm will bear that in mind. Probably heading out this afternoon and I will try and find somewhere sandy and snag free to try.

I bought one of the round ones with PVC posts, which on refelction might be a bit large to transport in my small car.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Zero View Post
    Thanks for the advice Tunaticer.I certainly don't want to lose the pot or cause any harm will bear that in mind. Probably heading out this afternoon and I will try and find somewhere sandy and snag free to try.

I bought one of the round ones with PVC posts, which on refelction might be a bit large to transport in my small car.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Chris
    Mate ,tie your rope to the "bottom" ring , in the middle of the 2? entry points.
    Can't tip over , just slides

mate if you can get them at your local seafood shop i recommend mullet frames. simply fold the frame in half and use some tie wire striaght threw the eye and frame and twist it into your pot. the crabs love it.. good luck

Just a quick update. Put the pot in at Raby Bay last weekend from one of the little jetties that got me clear of the rocks. I got one small Jenny but at least i know I am on the right track.

Cheers

Chris

hey chris if you are a redlands local try the jetty at wello point,this time of year you should get a few sandies
    cheers rosco

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    hey chris if you are a redlands local try the jetty at wello point,this time of year you should get a few sandies
    cheers rosco
    Thanks Rosco - I am in the eastern suburbs of Brisbane so Wello is certainly not too far to travel. I assume the jetty is crowded on weekends but will give it a crack some time soon.

Cheers

Chris