Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Free Membership

Re: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    This place sounds like real adventure, I'd be keen to do this trip one day. Hope your trip goes well and don't forget to put up a report.
    Hello

Reading this forum with great interest and trying to grasp all necessary knowledge on tides, avoiding camp-schools and alike.

We are planning to drive up from Brisbane together with my son and spend a week or so visiting Lady Musgrave and Northwest Islands. We have booked camping sites for January 2019. We look forward to some boating, snorkelling, scuba, fishing and/or just plain relaxing.

We would need some good advise as to how to get to the islands, the ferry services are quite infrequent and do not match with our timetable 12-19 January.

Is there a possibility to getting a ride on a boat that would be heading towards the islands?
    Are there boats on hire at reasonable cost or would it be too expensive or too dangerous for a non-local (Finland) to navigate to the islands?

Cheers
    James MacGyver Bond

PS! what about stingers? Do we need to be concerned...

Christmas trip is booked - Towing my 6.15 barcrusher CC from Sydney to Airlie Beach & camping out on Whitsunday Island (Nari's Beach) for 6 nights . Nari's Beach.jpg
    I stopped there for lunch once 20 years ago & it looked like a pretty good place to stay .
    We are pretty lucky with the low tides falling in the middle of the day meaning that we can leave on a high in the morning & come back on high of an evening.
    I'm a little apprehensive with dropping the boat on the sand beach on the low tides but if I do it right the time that the boat will be dry will be minimal. I plan to set up an anchor as far out near the fringing reef as possible & use a pulley system to move the boat as required. Swell should be minimal as the location is on the western side of the island Nari's beach photo.jpg

unfortunately it is stinger season , so will need to be careful as the trip will be about GT Fishing & snorkelling ……… It will be hot & humid but hopefully the rain stays away.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgyver bond View Post
    Hello

Reading this forum with great interest and trying to grasp all necessary knowledge on tides, avoiding camp-schools and alike.

We are planning to drive up from Brisbane together with my son and spend a week or so visiting Lady Musgrave and Northwest Islands. We have booked camping sites for January 2019. We look forward to some boating, snorkelling, scuba, fishing and/or just plain relaxing.

We would need some good advise as to how to get to the islands, the ferry services are quite infrequent and do not match with our timetable 12-19 January.

Is there a possibility to getting a ride on a boat that would be heading towards the islands?
    Are there boats on hire at reasonable cost or would it be too expensive or too dangerous for a non-local (Finland) to navigate to the islands?

Cheers
    James MacGyver Bond

PS! what about stingers? Do we need to be concerned...
    I think you might be right with LMI ( transport) but NW Island will be a challenge unless you book through the company that does the barges out of Gladstone
    btw - you probably need a week at one destination …..
    I doubt that there would be a boat you could hire to go that far .

Stingers ….. Normal thinking is that you would be safe that far south & that far east - that said there have been Irukandji stings on Fraser Island in recent times which is further south again. …… so at the very least take a big bottle of Vinegar with you.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A mate at work went to Humpy Island with wife and son a couple of months back based on my recommendation and they absolutely loved it there.
    Cheers

Trev