Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Hi All

I'm looking at putting together a list of the best Island camping destinations in qld.
    The criteria is - legal camping - within reasonable distance for a 5M boat to travel - good fishing (estuary , reef etc) & importantly good access to anchor the boat / run it ashore (water front camping is ideal)
    It can be bare bones with no facilities! - a fire would be good but not an absolute necessity. Willing to travel between Brisbane & Cairns
    I have a few in mind - but I'm sure there are a heap more.

look forward to your suggestions

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

My experience is very limited but places that I like are

1) Armit Is (Whitsundays) ....... It is secluded , sheltered , had great beach landing ( broken shell) - good reef & pelagic fishing nearby
    2) Butterfly bay Hook Is (Whitsundays) ..... A pretty place with reasonable access ( low tide with a northerly wind can present problems) - good fishing nearby & great access to the GBR ....... It's about as long as a run as you would want to do in a 5M boat.
    3) Macushla (Hinchinbrook Is) ..... awesome access to the missionary bay creeks , pretty good facilities , good sandy beach access , good access to offshore / reef fishing ........ reasonably close to Cardwell
    4) sawmill beach (Whitsunday island) ..... Hated the place ( shallow water / dries at low tide) but very protected ....... Give the place a miss

These are the only 4 Qld destinations I have made it to ......... but all have their own charm (except sawmill)
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris

Trace and I had a fantastic camping holiday on Cockatoo Beach on North Mole Island in the Whitsundays. It has everything you are asking for. We got there no worries in the 4.3m Abolone from Shute Harbour.

Just 5 camp spots (National Parks permit required). Completely water's edge camping and sheltered area for the boat in an area that was a great swimming beach (except at bottom of the tide). Huge tidal variations were a bit of a challenge in terms of ensuring the boat wasn't high and dry overnight but once we discovered that on the first night we didn't make that mistake again.

Some days we just pushed the boat out from the beach and dropped lines into shallow reefs for Coral Trout. Other days we went further afield. Oysters from the rocks...mangoes we had bought roadside on the way there.

No one else on the island. Had to take everything with us (there was a water tank but best to take your own water). .

One day we motored over to South Mole when we were looking pretty wild after a day chasing pelagics, covered in stinky fish guts & bait etc etc (back in the bait fishing days) so we could get more water and make a phone call (Oh yes that reminds me ...it was before mobile phones...maybe it has changed a bit by now????) Anyway...I don't think the beautiful people lounging in the resort thought that we belonged there

Hey, I just googled it ...its looks like it is still pretty much the same as when we went. http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/mol...h_molle_island

That was a great holiday

Tim and Trace

Wuthumba Creek up the inside of Fraser Island is a favourite of mine. Fishing the creek, out the front for all sorts of palegics, bottom bashing for reefies or even chasing a little black marlin. You can do the lot. Or kick back with a beer and nibblies and watch the sunsets accross Platypus Bay. Can't wait to get back.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

amity point and wavebreak island

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    Hey Chris

Trace and I had a fantastic camping holiday on Cockatoo Beach on North Mole Island in the Whitsundays. It has everything you are asking for. We got there no worries in the 4.3m Abolone from Shute Harbour.

Just 5 camp spots (National Parks permit required). Completely water's edge camping and sheltered area for the boat in an area that was a great swimming beach (except at bottom of the tide). Huge tidal variations were a bit of a challenge in terms of ensuring the boat wasn't high and dry overnight but once we discovered that on the first night we didn't make that mistake again.

Some days we just pushed the boat out from the beach and dropped lines into shallow reefs for Coral Trout. Other days we went further afield. Oysters from the rocks...mangoes we had bought roadside on the way there.

No one else on the island. Had to take everything with us (there was a water tank but best to take your own water). .

One day we motored over to South Mole when we were looking pretty wild after a day chasing pelagics, covered in stinky fish guts & bait etc etc (back in the bait fishing days) so we could get more water and make a phone call (Oh yes that reminds me ...it was before mobile phones...maybe it has changed a bit by now????) Anyway...I don't think the beautiful people lounging in the resort thought that we belonged there

Hey, I just googled it ...its looks like it is still pretty much the same as when we went. http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/mol...h_molle_island

That was a great holiday

Tim and Trace
    Awesome guys ... much appreciated - I have the 100 magic miles book & will look it up !

The whitsundays is an awesome destination

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    amity point and wavebreak island
    tell me more ..... ! - no idea about the place

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by bundylundy View Post
    Wuthumba Creek up the inside of Fraser Island is a favourite of mine. Fishing the creek, out the front for all sorts of palegics, bottom bashing for reefies or even chasing a little black marlin. You can do the lot. Or kick back with a beer and nibblies and watch the sunsets accross Platypus Bay. Can't wait to get back.
    I've heard about the place ....... but am all ears - please tell me more

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

47kms as the crow flies at 222 deg from Urangon Boat harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    47kms as the crow flies at 222 deg from Urangon Boat harbour.

So ..... Fraser Island ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Some of these are pushing the capabilities of a 5m boat but thats part of the adventure. I have done a few in an old 4.9m Abalone so new generation hulls will do the easily.

Pancake Creek north of 1770. It has good camping areas in a well protected anchorage with access to everything from reefies to Barra. Its close to Bustard Head and the Rocks which can hold some great pelagics.

The cays and islands of the Capricorn/Bunker Group are accessible with a 5m vessel if the weather is right but no eastuary fishing

The Percy Islands out of Stanage Bay have some spots but big tides can make it a little difficult. Plenty of islands in closer as well

Hill Inlet at the top of Whitehaven Beach (not sure about camping now)

Port Clinton north of Yeppoon (40nm)

Island Head Creek (magic spot) furher north of Yeppoon (50nm or 40nm out of Stanage). You can catch Barra, Trout, muddies and get a huge feed of Pacific Oysters without leaving the actual creek. Big tides here as well as a few snapping handbags
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Pancake Creek north of 1770. It has good camping areas in a well protected anchorage with access to everything from reefies to Barra. Its close to Bustard Head and the Rocks which can hold some great pelagics.

The cays and islands of the Capricorn/Bunker Group are accessible with a 5m vessel if the weather is right but no eastuary fishing

The Percy Islands out of Stanage Bay have some spots but big tides can make it a little difficult. Plenty of islands in closer as well

Hill Inlet at the top of Whitehaven Beach (not sure about camping now)

Port Clinton north of Yeppoon (40nm)

Island Head Creek (magic spot) furher north of Yeppoon (50nm or 40nm out of Stanage). You can catch Barra, Trout, muddies and get a huge feed of Pacific Oysters without leaving the actual creek. Big tides here as well as a few snapping handbags
    Much appreciated ......... I'll do some searches
    How is the anchorage at these places ? ........... need places that you can run a boat up the beach ( sand or broken shell) Then anchor it fore & aft

Chris

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by bundylundy View Post
    Wuthumba Creek up the inside of Fraser Island

Pancake and hill inlet are the only two with easy access. The others have vaiable ground and massive tides
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    So ..... Fraser Island ?

Chris

Garry's Anchorage on Fraser Island. It has water on-site. Good fishing in the straits. Have to pay camping fee.