Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Re: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Where's your reports Murf, how did the boat go?
    yeah yeah tomorrow trust me the cheque is in the mail

very happy with the old boat

cheers Murf

Gould island is another great place to camp
    Just north of Hinchinbrook, close enough to the cks, & the blue water
    Good fishing around the island, just watch the zones, good diving for crays in some areas as well,
    Probably not as sought after as Macushla or the islands in the family group but still a great place
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mouse71 View Post
    Good fishing around the island, just watch the zones, good diving for crays in some areas as well,
    Probably not as sought after as Macushla or the islands in the family group but still a great place
    Goold Island? any pics of the place?

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by mouse71 View Post
    We had a good look at Gould when we were up there in June (Housboating) ....... The camping spots look pretty good & the shelter is a bonus - Certainly worth going there if you are more interested in pelagic fishing or reef fishing as it is a bit of a run across to the creeks. The anchoring area seems quite protected too (unless there was a westerly .... but a lot of the sting would be taken out by Garden Is) .

But yeh - I reckon it looks pretty good

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Russell Island, in the Frankland Island Group; if your into pelagics, reef fish and crays it's a good spot. September is the best time of year for wind and fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trev that looks fantastic. How did you go keeping your vehicle and trailer safe? And how hard was it to get out of the wind..you mentioned that you had several other stories...can you expand including how the fishing was?? How were you aware of the tigers in the area? Also any stingers and did you suit up?

Cheers mate
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Trev that looks fantastic. How did you go keeping your vehicle and trailer safe? And how hard was it to get out of the wind..you mentioned that you had several other stories...can you expand including how the fishing was?? How were you aware of the tigers in the area? Also any stingers and did you suit up?

Cheers mate
    Roselyn Bay has a place about 1km away where they will store your car for a reasonable fee and they shuttle you to ramp and back.
    How hard to get out of the wind - well the strong wind was from the SE and the beach we camped on was WNW so the wind was at your back. The island has a lot of scrubby bushes and although we sat through 39 knot recorded winds it wasn't unbearable.
    The incidents were I lost anchor due to boat anchored wide and chaffing through the rope after 3 days in 2m swell and chop - so I lost a sarca plus 30m of chain and then I lost another anchor and boat one time was blown out to sea so had to chase it in another boat a few kilometres across the ocean and twice blew onto beach at midnight to 2am once main anchor lost. Lesson learnt use a cheap anchor for mooring and chain all the way.
    Second incident is the beginning of the famous cracked transom thread - read post 2 one page one http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ed-and-Sinking
    Fishing was unfortunate in that when we arrived there were 400-500 long trevs chasing bait school right at the beach and would have been great - but I resisted a few days whilst doing family things - visit to Keppel and go for walks about Humpy Island etc - then when the wind blew up the sea got murky and the baitfish and trevs left. I got one day fishing NE about 60km for a few sharks and trolled the Child Island for a lend of a freaking huge spaniard only to lose it after 30 minutes and a really good tussle on 100lb line.
    Otherwise it was a trip that showed a place with enormous potential in the right conditions but still safe in very adverse conditions - with sensible mooring done.
    No there was no stingers and no need for any special covering.
    I did not see any sharks near the island but got plenty fishing wider 60km.
    There were a few guys there that were snorkelling and spearing and they got plenty of reasonable sized coral trout on the exposed side of the island SE side.
    Pelalgics were about and close - trolling for the big stuff was around the Child about 8km east of Humpy.
    Reef fishing was where I went about 60km NE to fern country with high hopes but only managed one day and sharks.
    Best results were trolling around the Child.
    There are some places off SE of Island I did not get enough time or chance to fish as the really strong wind gave me no choice.
    I liked it there and it is only about 18km from the ramp and we would go back except there are other places I want to visit first - NW Island being one of them.
    If you want to see a lot of fishing reports about that area in better times just do a search of offshore fishing threads from XtremeBoony and jtpython
    Cheers

Trev

Thanks Trev. It sounds like a great adventure from a Brissy based boaters point of view. I reckon my kids and wife would love it. Might be time to make a plan and drag the Vagabond up there.

Cheers

Any fuel bowsers for boats on the islands Trev?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Any fuel bowsers for boats on the islands Trev?

Cheers
    Not on the islands as Humpy is uninhabited National Park reserve and Keppel is a closed resort yet to become a wilderness eco resort.

You can get fuel from a wharf in Roselyn Bay though which is only about 18km from Humpy and about 14km from Keppel.

Some people who got a bit stuck did use the flier from Keppel to mainland due to the bad weather as they did not want to take on a trip in 2.5m seas etc loaded up - so the daily flier is an option to get supplies or people safely across in bad weather.

It is a good place for wife and kids as you are not too far away from civilisation and the place has fresh water showers and civilised toilets. A day trip to Keppel is always nice and the pub at the north end makes a good meal and there is also a little souveneir shop with icecreams etc. All up a good option for family as you are away on humpy and can enjoy some great sunsets but not so far away that all things needed are close by.

Easter it is packed but the week after it is empty - so you can see it fluctuates a lot in numbers as it is handy to the mainland for short duration campers.
    Cheers

Trev

Many thanks mate

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

I'm looking at putting together a list of the best Island camping destinations in qld.
    The criteria is - legal camping - within reasonable distance for a 5M boat to travel - good fishing (estuary , reef etc) & importantly good access to anchor the boat / run it ashore (water front camping is ideal)
    It can be bare bones with no facilities! - a fire would be good but not an absolute necessity. Willing to travel between Brisbane & Cairns
    I have a few in mind - but I'm sure there are a heap more.

look forward to your suggestions

Chris
    I thought I would resurrect this thread from a few years back just in case it sparks up some new interest

Looking forward to what members may have come up with

Cheers
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Bribie Island. Camping with boat access only or by 4x4 . Calm water fishing crabbing in the passage. Access to Cape Moreton, Barwon Banks, Caloundra. Clubs , pubs, supermarkets.

One area I'm really interested in is are the Whitsundays & while I have camped at Armit Is , Sawmill Bay & Butterfly bay - there is so many more options .
    What I would love to hear are others experiences - boat based camping where you have reasonably good access & the boat wont be sitting on reef at low tide ( sand or coral rubble is OK)
    does anyone have any experience with Whitehaven Beach , Planton Island , Dugong Beach etc

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish New Member

Gotta agree. Bribie offers good camping on western side at Mission Point (accessible only by boat but my personal favourite), and Poverty Creek (accessible by short 4x4 drive only). Eastern beach camping also good for those without a boat and has good facilities. But book early as sites are limited.