Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Re: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Good thread. Agree with Macushla up this way if barra fishing is to be included.

Another worth a look is Orpheus Island. Big tides can be a bugger with boat access & reef flats. http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/orp...d/camping.html

It's about 8 or 10 mile from Lucinda. From there you have good access to the rest of the islands or another 10 mile or so and you're out the reef.

Plenty of other empty islands around the palms for non official camping as well.
    Thanks for that Dicko

I will check it out when we are down at the Lucinda end

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg, incoming. clear some pms.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Nagg, incoming. clear some pms.
    All good !!!!
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

One of my favourites is Humpy Island National Park in the Keppel Island group just off the Capricorn Coast.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Interesting looking island - fortune favours the bold - wanting a new boat - Steve.

Good looking beach facing North - looks protected from the South and to some degree North-East from Keppel Island.

How would you rate it as a family destination?

It isn't far off the coast. Bit further drive from Brissy but nothing too much.

Snorkelling is good?
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Interesting looking island - fortune favours the bold - wanting a new boat - Steve.

Good looking beach facing North - looks protected from the South and to some degree North-East from Keppel Island.

How would you rate it as a family destination?

It isn't far off the coast. Bit further drive from Brissy but nothing too much.

Snorkelling is good?
    The northern and western beaches are both good. We camp amongst the trees on the western beach. It's well protected and I think it's a great family camping destination. There's good snorkelling throughout the Keppels. The photo of the spaniard in my avatar was taken from our camp on Humpy Island.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/kep...d_camping_area

Regarding the new boat - thinking about a 5 to 5.5m aluminium centre console. That should suit our needs up here.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Keep them coming all ........ I'm starting to get a good list together

For those that have never experienced boat based camping - if you have the vessel , gear & the will ....... give it a try . We are blessed with many options in Qld - probably more that you could fully explore in a lifetime of holidays. .... but hell it would be awesome trying

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i have been to many islands up and down the queensland coast. zoe bay, hinchinbrook island is the best spot i have been to so far, also gloucester island at the northern end of the whitsundays towards bowen is a beautiful place and not many people go there. but any of the sheltered islands in the whitsundays group are hard to beat. islands such as moreton, straddie and fraser just dont compare to the islands we have up north

Good luck with your trip Nagg, we have cancelled our dates from next week due to rain that they had recently to the 22-4-12 for the week till the 28-4-12 so I will be watching for some of your post trip posts. Cheers!
    <*}))<

Quote Originally Posted by scoota_74 View Post
    Good luck with your trip Nagg, we have cancelled our dates from next week due to rain that they had recently to the 22-4-12 for the week till the 28-4-12 so I will be watching for some of your post trip posts. Cheers!
    Probably bump into each other on the hwy ........ we will be heading down to baffle Ck on the 22nd from Mackay.
    I plan to do some reports during our trip
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by dallas90 View Post
    i have been to many islands up and down the queensland coast. zoe bay, hinchinbrook island is the best spot i have been to so far, also gloucester island at the northern end of the whitsundays towards bowen is a beautiful place and not many people go there. but any of the sheltered islands in the whitsundays group are hard to beat. islands such as moreton, straddie and fraser just dont compare to the islands we have up north
    Gloucester Is does look good - but I would have thought that it would have copped a Flogging from Dingo beach or Bowen.
    The appeal of the central & northern Qld Islands for me are the options for a smallish boat ......... & the lack of crowds. I guess if you dont like a long tow - Fraser still makes a fair old destination.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

This thread is a ripper. Hopefully we can make it a sticky and people can keep adding to it over time
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

yea ive been there a fair few times, once it was easter holidays and the weather forecast was perfect and still there was only a few trailers at the dingo beach ramp each day. the fishing options there are endless, the rivers to the north are full of barra and jacks and there are some huge flathead around the sandy beaches there aswell. i cant wait to get back there

Quote Originally Posted by For Steve View Post
    The northern and western beaches are both good. We camp amongst the trees on the western beach. It's well protected and I think it's a great family camping destination. There's good snorkelling throughout the Keppels. The photo of the spaniard in my avatar was taken from our camp on Humpy Island.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/kep...d_camping_area

Regarding the new boat - thinking about a 5 to 5.5m aluminium centre console. That should suit our needs up here.
    Okay Steve - on your recommendation - my family are booked in for a week next month on Humpy Island - I will post up my holiday and impressions when I get back - thanks.

I think this is a safer option than Lady Musgrave with family including 7yo son for just splashing on the beach and a 19yo daughter that will be more interested in lazing under a tree staring into apple-phone - but then again expect a trip to resort on Keppel for a look see

Unusual name - I will explain it to my wife when we get there
    Cheers

Trev

I look forward to your trip report!