Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Re: The best Qld island boat accessed camping destinations

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    Great thread, keep the destinations coming. I will have alot more knowledge after I come back from my trip around this great Southern Land. Dunno what the rules r with gennies in nation parks nagg?
    None .......

But if no one else is around .... I'd use it!
    I'm taking a gennie but it is really only needed to charge a leccy battery or a camp battery ......... If others are around I will charge them on the boat when at anchor - there is no comeback or fear of issues. I'm only taking a 0.7kva kipor

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Googara beat me to it, I like very much this area stayed on one of the islands just north of hinchinbook years ago need nice weather, if not then one can instead haunt the Hinchinbook channel .

Just don't forget planing well a plan B, needs to be almost just as good as plan A LOL.
    The plan B is tough (camping wise) but if need be -we will stay in Cardwell & head up the channel or camp up the channel ......... I can live with that

Last time at Lucinda ...... we got pounded for a week - but still had a good time up the creeks

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

In a 5.7m CC I was looking at going to any of the islands in the Keppel Bay area, in particular Humpy. I would love to get out to Lady Musgrave Island however that might be a bit out of reach in a smaller boat (maybe even in a 5.7??).

Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    In a 5.7m CC I was looking at going to any of the islands in the Keppel Bay area, in particular Humpy. I would love to get out to Lady Musgrave Island however that might be a bit out of reach in a smaller boat (maybe even in a 5.7??).
    weather certainly plays a big part in such an adventure ...... It could be done in a 5.7M boat but I would want to do it with 2 or 3 boats for safety .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep that was the plan 2-3 boats, in peak season I'm sure you would have no probs heading over with a few people from the ramp even. My only concern with Musgrave was the fact that you have to anchor a ways off the island out in the lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    Yep that was the plan 2-3 boats, in peak season I'm sure you would have no probs heading over with a few people from the ramp even. My only concern with Musgrave was the fact that you have to anchor a ways off the island out in the lagoon.
    My understanding is there is an area set aside, close to Lady Mugrave Island, for boats 5-7 m in length.

Last paragraph of this page (just above "Further Information");
    http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/visit-the-r...ve-island-reef

And a Map out lining the approved area for small boats to anchor is available if you search
    - lady musgrave small boat anchor - on the GBRMPA web site. Will come up as "Inset A". Tried to post the link here but it wouldn't work.

Cheers,
    Jim

Where abouts on Whitsunday is Sawmill Beach?

As for Lady Musgrave - I wouldn't swim out to a boat there sunrise or sunset - too many tigers. I have done two 16 day dive holidays on the island - it has some nice coral about it - but it is a small and exposed island - walk around it in 45 minutes.

Seems very popular these days so reckon the fishing isn't anything like it was a few decades ago.

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/asse...ement_2006.pdf

Musgrave.jpg
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Where abouts on Whitsunday is Sawmill Beach?

As for Lady Musgrave - I wouldn't swim out to a boat there sunrise or sunset - too many tigers. I have done two 16 day dive holidays on the island - it has some nice coral about it - but it is a small and exposed island - walk around it in 45 minutes.

Seems very popular these days so reckon the fishing isn't anything like it was a few decades ago.
    Sawmill is pretty well in the middle of the western side of the Island
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Oh I see - looks very close to that region behind Cid Island Phill spoke of

sawmill bay.JPG
    Cheers

Trev

My interest is I have been interested in Hook Island for a while and starting to plan a trip there or nearby for a week in September - so looking for a camping family destination - wife and young kids 7-14yo the target audience and fishing where and when we can get it. So not interested in a mangrove but rather a friendly beach and some snorkelling and shade and some weather protection.

By the way Nagg - a good thread you started.
    Cheers

Trev

Hey Nagg, When are you lookin at going. We are planning on leaving for cattle creek south of Ingham with a back up plan of macushla and missionary bay depending on rain.
    <*}))<

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    My understanding is there is an area set aside, close to Lady Mugrave Island, for boats 5-7 m in length.

Last paragraph of this page (just above "Further Information");
    http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/visit-the-r...ve-island-reef

And a Map out lining the approved area for small boats to anchor is available if you search
    - lady musgrave small boat anchor - on the GBRMPA web site. Will come up as "Inset A". Tried to post the link here but it wouldn't work.

Cheers,
    Ahh okay I interpreted the map a little different I think. I was under the impression that the area for small boats appeared to be shallow/ran dry on low tide and was more for tenders. However you are likley correct, having never been there I was only guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by scoota_74 View Post
    Hey Nagg, When are you lookin at going. We are planning on leaving for cattle creek south of Ingham with a back up plan of macushla and missionary bay depending on rain.
    We plan to get to Cardwell (after a couple of days at Eungella & Russell / Mulgrave rivers) on Wed 11th (April) through to Wed 18th ........ we'll stay at Macushla for the week.
    Then we go to Lucinda for 3 days before starting our run home

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

We can probably use this thread to put up photo's & a bit of a report - when people do their trips .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Good thread. Agree with Macushla up this way if barra fishing is to be included.

Another worth a look is Orpheus Island. Big tides can be a bugger with boat access & reef flats. http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/orp...d/camping.html

It's about 8 or 10 mile from Lucinda. From there you have good access to the rest of the islands or another 10 mile or so and you're out the reef.

Plenty of other empty islands around the palms for non official camping as well.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%