Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flathead Recipes Plzz

Flathead Recipes Plzz

Heya guys..Does anyone have any really good Flathead Recipes apart from killing it with too much seasoning like the girlfriend did...now she hate's flathead..lol

Cheers guys
    Billy

Re: Flathead Recipes Plzz

Deep fried in a nice light beer batter

Oooh thats sounds yummm..cheers Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTYGC View Post
    Deep fried in a nice light beer batter

The best way to have flatty fillets

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

if you want to make a really light crispy batter, try this, get a bowl of soda water and slowly whisk some plain flour into it until it just gets thick enough to lightly coat your finger. dont make it too thick or it wont be so crispy, a little flour at a time til you think its right, then deep fry it. will be the best batter you have tried.cheers BK

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

small fillet pieces, cooked on the BBQ, pour some beer over it as its cooking, Yum Yum

Crazy, this is one for your Mrs.
    Cook the flatty as per normal in a pan, butter, salt and pepper and a squirt of lemon.
    In a separate bowl I sometimes make a tomato and avocado salsa mix. Just chop tomato, avocado, red onion, some olive oil and salt and pepper and a squirt of lemon.
    Not bad to have as a side with the flatty. If your mrs likes it, she might expect you to catch more fish!
    Enjoy mate.

Mate if you like salt and pepper squid ive been doing all types of fish cut small and thin the same way, dip in egg, dust in flour salt/pepper mix and shallow fry in wok, plenty of recipes on the net for the amounts of salt and pepper in the mix which you can adjust to taste (small whiting fillets especially nice) other than this i bone, skin and fry in butter with a few good squeezes of lemon or lime whilst cooking and a little salt pepper, needs nothing more.

Hi
    i just do small pieces in homemade breadcrumbs or beer batter. Just roll in flour and fry in butter is another way.
    Too many people add heaps of herbs and spices and other stuff that defeat the purpose of the fish taste.
    keep it simple and enjoy the taste of the fish not the herbs and spices or chili or garlic etc.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    if you want to make a really light crispy batter, try this, get a bowl of soda water and slowly whisk some plain flour into it until it just gets thick enough to lightly coat your finger. dont make it too thick or it wont be so crispy, a little flour at a time til you think its right, then deep fry it. will be the best batter you have tried.cheers BK
    To guarantee your batter is extra crispy, do as above, BUT.... make sure your oil is ready, and when it is, add a hand full of ice cubes to the batter mix (make above batter a little thicker), whisk the ice around until right consistency, dip in fish then straight into oil.
    The batter will be extremely cold, and thus giving the reaction to the oil making it crisp and uneven.

Skinned not scaled. for Flathead
    That's the most important thing.

Awesome tips from everyone thank you...But i am not gunna tell her your guys secrets because she'd want to taste it and HELLOOO..hahaha yes she will definately make me "FISH" more and more and more...hehehe

Thats! the plan..

Cheers
    Billy

I like to slice the flathead into strips about 1cm thick and wide and about 5cm long, throw them into a plastic bag with 90% rice flour and 10% dusted salt thats premixed evenly. Shake it around to coat the fish chips then drop them into really hot oil in the deep fryer for about 30 secs. they golden up quick and taste superb as a snack whilst watching the box or DVD's. Use them as dippers in salsa or tartare sauce if you wish.
    Jack.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best way to eat Flathead is not to eat it...I agree with ur misus...YUK

Give me a crispy skinned whole Bream everyday of the week.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandv8 View Post
    To guarantee your batter is extra crispy, do as above, BUT.... make sure your oil is ready, and when it is, add a hand full of ice cubes to the batter mix (make above batter a little thicker), whisk the ice around until right consistency, dip in fish then straight into oil.
    The batter will be extremely cold, and thus giving the reaction to the oil making it crisp and uneven.
    as i said in my post dont make it thick or it wont be so crispy, using cold soda water will be enough to get that reaction, or keep it in the fridge until your ready to use it.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.