Thread: Hinchinbrook Camping

Hinchinbrook Camping

Hey guys,

Mate and I are heading up to fish the hinchinbrook area around April this year. Planning on bringing a 4.1m tinny, and camping in swags etc. We are looking for a place to camp with quick and easy access to the water, and preferably that allows open fires. Are there any spots between Lucinda and Cardwell to camp?

Would camp on the island, but have heard that open fires are not allowed?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Chillerz69

Re: Hinchinbrook Camping

Hi mate give Cardwell Tourism Bureau a call (07) 4066 8601, these should be able to help out in regards to camping and fires on the island and surrounding area.
    Mick

The short answer I think is no. But I could be wrong. Between Lucinda and Cardwell there is only mangroves and mud. Not good camping. You could try the spit straight across from the Taylor's Beach ramp. It has a nice beach and you can have fires. Bit of a hike in a 4m tinny though to the channel. Like I said, I could be wrong and someone else might have the answer.
    Btw, I've camped at Macushla plenty of times. Don't write it off as a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerz69 View Post
    Hey guys,

Mate and I are heading up to fish the hinchinbrook area around April this year. Planning on bringing a 4.1m tinny, and camping in swags etc. We are looking for a place to camp with quick and easy access to the water, and preferably that allows open fires. Are there any spots between Lucinda and Cardwell to camp?

Would camp on the island, but have heard that open fires are not allowed?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Chillerz69
    Correct ..... no fires (sadly)
    We are planning to camp at Mucushla (northern end) sometime in mid April . From here you get great access to the creeks of missionary bay and if conditions allow the headlands of Cape Richards. Should be a good trip

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nowhere to camp between Lucinda & Cardwell. Only place would be Fishers Ck ramp & that is posted no camping & the mossies & sand flies woukd be horrific. Think camping on the island is only in designated areas & being a national park no fires. Bill

I haven't been down to Macushla since Yasi past through so I dont know what it is like now.

It is/was/might again be a great spot to camp. Rain water tank, covered shelter and seating, long drop toilet that was well maintained, and the cleanest free gas BBQ I have ever seen. Also has a croc fence so you sleep in peace.

Great spot with brilliant scenery and access to the creeks and bay, but a long way around if you are just wanting to fish the Hinchinbrook channel

Google Earth 18.13.636 146.13.017 Fair trip for fuel and supplies around to Cardwell.

The lucinda caravan park is probably the best you'll get and as mentioned no fires. I tis bloody close to the pub and the boat ramp but.

if staying at Lucinda with a 4.1m boat then make sure you find out where the Mona road ramp is for small boats it is a lot better for fishing the channel during daylight hours
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT