Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: conrod bolts keep snapping

Re: conrod bolts keep snapping

Now Gazza....Listen to a word of wisdom and experience.
    Buy the tools that fit your need (in this case 3 tension wrenches) and DON'T LEND YOUR TOOLS TO ANYONE!!!!!!

Otherwise you'll be in the same boat as your relative. You'll own a buggered tool.
    I've found many people do not respect your tools as you would over the years and I have plenty of knackered tools to prove that theory.

I've also learnt not to borrow tools either because you normally have to fix them before you can use them.

So buy the exact tools you need and lock them up. Don't tell anyone you have them and they'll last forever.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Also, with torque wrenches, never, EVER, EVER, use them to undo fasteners. They are for torquing right hand threads ONLY.

If you break that rule, you risk throwing the calibration out completely. It's by far the biggest reason torque wrenches become innaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Now Gazza....Listen to a word of wisdom and experience.
    Buy the tools that fit your need (in this case 3 tension wrenches) and DON'T LEND YOUR TOOLS TO ANYONE!!!!!!

Otherwise you'll be in the same boat as your relative. You'll own a buggered tool.
    I've found many people do not respect your tools as you would over the years and I have plenty of knackered tools to prove that theory.

I've also learnt not to borrow tools either because you normally have to fix them before you can use them.

So buy the exact tools you need and lock them up. Don't tell anyone you have them and they'll last forever.
    haha i hear u loud and clear mate thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    Also, with torque wrenches, never, EVER, EVER, use them to undo fasteners. They are for torquing right hand threads ONLY.

If you break that rule, you risk throwing the calibration out completely. It's by far the biggest reason torque wrenches become innaccurate.
    yeah im yet to read the instructions i will do that today but i also read that online so thanks for the tip mate

ok guys the engine is mostly back together i had it running for around 5 seconds this morning i dont have the PTT hooked up yet and i ran it dry no water only to see if it would start the engine oil is full but i noticed there was a beeping noise coming from the engine howdo i know if the engine is pumping oil? or how do i know what sensor is triggering the alarm?

Yould never start a outboard with out running water through it. You run the risk of burning out the rubber inpeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Yould never start a outboard with out running water through it. You run the risk of burning out the rubber inpeller.
    Unless you have the gearbox off at the time
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

hey guys heres a video of the engine running im waiting for a new oil pressure switch to show up at the mercury dealer also noticed a crack in the fuel pump plastic and mercury doesnt sell that part alone i have to buy a whole fuel pump big $$$ there $166 in the US i dont even wanna price one over her...