Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Barwon Banks M&G ?

Re: Barwon Banks M&G ?

Too easy Bull, I understand that somethings cant be changed and just don't work out.
    Looking at the amount of interest maybe this will be the start of a few trips out to the Banks.

Cheers
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by robtarr View Post
    that was my thought also - rather than risk getting a skin full at the pub with the boat still on the trailer instead grab some take aways and raft up somewhere - looks like there's a fair bit of room near where the boats moor inside the entrance where we shouldn't disturb too many locals
    cheers Rob
    Yep looks good around that swimming enclosure too for a raft up! Is this allowed?

Well I just got a letter in the post. A wedding invitation for the 3rd. SWMBO tells me we WILL be going to it, so that puts me out for the 3rd.

Sorry Marty. I am sure there will be other guys jumping in for a spot on board. Good fishing to all, hope you get good weather and good fish.

Mike

About how fast will you blokes be travelling out to the banks? I prolly can't keep up so might have to get a head start...so that makes it a 3:30am start

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Yep looks good around that swimming enclosure too for a raft up! Is this allowed?
    by take aways I meant beers after having a feed at the pub...if that clarification was necessary

not sure of the legality of rafting up in that area but I suppose if we don't make too much noise to draw a complaint we should get away with it

cheers Rob

I would be leaving at 3 30am with the hope of great conditions.You really want to get out there Pre dawn. Actually the old sun gets up around 4 15 out here so maybe earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestcutter View Post
    I would be leaving at 3 30am with the hope of great conditions.You really want to get out there Pre dawn. Actually the old sun gets up around 4 15 out here so maybe earlier.
    Launch at 3.00 am if the weather is good.

If the weather is not good but still okay then leave closer to sunrise - there is no joy heading out into a sea you can't see and if it is bumpy you will not get to a fishing spot for near two hours anyway.

My thinking is to troll sunrise somewhere for a mackerel then head onto Hards or Banks an hour or two after sunrise to reef fish.

Open to ideas otherwise but that is my plan A
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Well I just got a letter in the post. A wedding invitation for the 3rd. SWMBO tells me we WILL be going to it, so that puts me out for the 3rd.

Sorry Marty. I am sure there will be other guys jumping in for a spot on board. Good fishing to all, hope you get good weather and good fish.

Mike
    see..you weren't meant to go..haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have deflated the floaties already..my birthday that weekend..may not be in any shape for fishing anywhere.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    About how fast will you blokes be travelling out to the banks? I prolly can't keep up so might have to get a head start...so that makes it a 3:30am start

Good question Crunchy. I would like to know that as well assuming the seas are favourable.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Yeh well it's all become irrelevant to me now bud, just having a wine with the fun police when she reminded me about our GC get-together with old family freinds on the FRIGGING BLOODY WEEK OF THE 3rd! I'm gutted, was so looking forward to it but I think I'm out. Have a great time guys and see you another time, perhaps the Straddie M&G if it comes off.

Mother trucker I cant believe it.....

Christ maybe we should look at another date as a lot have stuff on for the 3rd march... What if we make it sooner like the 18th february...??

What do you all think of another change of date ???
    Or if it suits more then make it the 25th, whatever suits the masses...

Cheers

18th will work for me......

Well personally I would definately go a change of date but I think you did the right thing FF by drawing a line in the sand and posting a date, if you change again that's surely going to put others out....but it's such a popular idea there may be interest in more than one barwon M&G? So given I'm going to miss this one was going to head out next best weather opportunity and ask if anyone else keen.

Cheers
    Crunchy

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I am going to have a look see at the Banks in two days anyway.

A change of date from 3rd March is no matter to me - you guys sort one you can make and put it up.

How long does the trip out take - usually with reasonable weather 60km at 40kph is 90 minutes - best I have done it in is one hour and worst over five hours but they were extreme conditions both good and bad.

If you are heading to upper Hards 70-80km is a 2 hour deal. South end Banks 50km is just over one hour at 40kph.

I usually travel 30-40kph in a bit of chop and slop, 40-45kph in good conditions and 50kph plus in rare conditions unless I am in a hurry and don't mind the pain - always better not to hurt or break things though. Did one trip from Hards at 12kph and any faster was 2-3m free fall - that was slow and painful - you get that with a 25-30knot south-westerly, but as said before never again.

Southern end of the Banks is pretty good fishing and offers scattered rocks on sand and wireweed it is about 60m deep and a good spot for RTE, pearlies and snapper.

Up on the Banks there are numerous peaks and the water is more 40 to 50m deep - get the cod, RTE, tuskies and other reefies here and nailed by unknowns trout/reds??

Eastern edge drop off is 80m deep and sand falling away to 100m deep a few hundred metres further out.

Personally I have never been given marks for the Banks - have just scouted about a bit trolled it in zig-zag fashion found some peaks and fished them - they have all produced at times - the same with Hards - I have a number of peaks on the reef marked but have just scouted about nothing more than finding little peaks with fish on them and either drifted them or anchored up. Last trip up there fished about 8 little peaks before one produced a nice snapper then anchored up and burleyed and drifted pilles down on dusk for a few more keepers. Sometimes anchoring and burley works and sometimes it is less productive. Hards is more like 80m deep and a lot of winding - a mate takes an electric and sits back laughing at me winding but that is more about choices - when i get old and soft I mind change to electric - he is younger than me but obviously getting soft

I am sure half you guys know more than twice what I know about the Banks and Hards.
    Cheers

Trev