Thread: advice on raymarine sounder.

advice on raymarine sounder.

What causes the vertical lines , present even when the motor is not running.

Re: advice on raymarine sounder.

Rando, I cant give you a definitive answer, but i had the same problem with my A70D. I switched radio off, lights off and main switch off. Nothing connected to my battery except the unit and i still got vertical lines. Incidentally, i also tried lowering the transducer but to no avail.
    I ended up connecting the raymarine to its own battery. That battery is a stand alone unit,that is, it is not connected to main battery for charging. I charge it via a battery charger when i get home. I dont get vertical lines anymore. Can only assume it was picking up electrical noise even though nothing else was running. Can't explain how.

Surely that means there is interference being picked up from the electrical system somehow. So how can I isolate the sounder without having to disconnect from the rest of the system.???
    Two battery system, on a threeway switch.
    I dont have a lot of electrics,,, navlights, sounder, bilgepump,vhf.thats it.

You can buy inline filters for that sort of interferance
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If you are anchored near a boat with a powerful sounder or fluoro lights also do it . What type of hull ,fibreglass or alloy?

@ rocklobster
    It is a tinny and I don't think it is generated by other boats in the vicinity, it occurs even when there are no nearby boats
    @Horse
    Mate do you happen to know what the filters you mention are called and where to get them??

This is the sort of thing. I had to fit one to my VHF otherwise the scan stuck on one channel when the motor was running. Its sounds funny that its doing it when everything else is turned off
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I hope this is stating the obvious but, have you got the distance lines turned off?

I cant see what you are referring to!! is there a photo??
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    This is the sort of thing. I had to fit one to my VHF otherwise the scan stuck on one channel when the motor was running. Its sounds funny that its doing it when everything else is turned off

Hi the rando are you running yours in auto or manual mode and check to see if you have the decluter on or off you want it on, and have a look at page 79 in the manual this might help you out as well.

Lost the pic in the earlier post

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3076
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"