Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BP and E10

Re: BP and E10

Quote Originally Posted by rowanda View Post
    unfortunately the govt has made no other choice for the fuel companies. BP got out of E10 in S/E Qld last year due to the floods...no other reason. They must now reintroduce it as the govt has given all the fuel companies minimum targets of biofuels they MUST sell. It's not because they want to sell it, but because they HAVE TO. So don't blame BP, blame the govt!!
    The govt is also increasing the targets, so it was 4% and is now 6% of all fuel sold must be biofuels...that means no other choice than to replace ULP with E10 (and also all servos don't have an endless supply of tanks to have too many different types of fuel for sale)
    I think BP are going down that road with or with the Gov, world wide they're the largest mover of ethanol fuel and they've been making big investments in the ethanol industry here for years.
    Caltex Australia sells one now that has 85% ethanol, 6 Qld outlets carry it already.
    Looks like we'll be searching for 95 octane for our boats.

I was under the impression all BP 91 was E10 and had been for years. I have not bought fuel BP for personal use for years because of it.

you all release under current laws that they only have to label fuel with ethanol quantities above 7% so you all could be running ethanol blended fuels and not even know it. I have a 2010 MERC opti and it states that it can run on e10 no problems i am sure that most of the other manufactures would be stating the same, does it feel like alittle bit of fear mongering by the oposition that the skies will fall if you use e10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Caltex Australia sells one now that has 85% ethanol, 6 Qld outlets carry it already.

Yer good old E85, owners of performance cars and drag cars love the stuff due to its octane rating.

http://www.mercurymotorsport.com.au/products/fuel/

cheers tim

I run 98 unleaded in everything I own. Simply because it's cleaner and you getter better mileage out of it - regardless of what it is (outboard, car, mower etc). As long as you get the 4 or 8c dockets the cost difference is nothing - you're actually in front because you get better mileage anyway.

I heard fuel will go to $2 a litre. I might have to get the pushie out at that price!

Quote Originally Posted by marty666 View Post
    you all release under current laws that they only have to label fuel with ethanol quantities above 7% so you all could be running ethanol blended fuels and not even know it. I have a 2010 MERC opti and it states that it can run on e10 no problems i am sure that most of the other manufactures would be stating the same, does it feel like alittle bit of fear mongering by the oposition that the skies will fall if you use e10.
    it has nothing to do with whether your outboard can run E10, marty. BUT..plastic fuel tanks and lines don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Yer good old E85, owners of performance cars and drag cars love the stuff due to its octane rating.

http://www.mercurymotorsport.com.au/products/fuel/

cheers tim
    only one fuel for real drag cars Tim..CH3NO2

hi all just to throw my 2 cents in i have been a motor merchanic for the last 23 years i seen the change from lead to unleaded.The main problem was the valve guide/seat area, mainly older aussie /yankie pomie engines.Most euro,jap or alloy head engines had all bronze valve guides & valve seat inserts with no problems at all.I own a boat with a mercruiser in it witch to me is old school engine, all cast.I dont think that e10 will do motor damage eg seals or anything internal .Ithink a lot is just hype ,but i would not leave the fuel in the tank as fuel does seperate after a while cheers

I'm also a mechanic, I've been told that's its no good, get less km's per litre, so you are better off paying for the 95/98 octane fuels, and they are better for your engine anyways, I've always run 98 in my cars. Apparently BP has the 'cleanest' fuels too.

On the E85 note, the E85 they sell at Caltex is different to the drums of E85 the drifters/draggers use.. From what tuning shops have told me

you have been told its no good but have you seen any real evidence to justify the claim.i agree with u on the fuel milage you do get less than say 95 or 98 ron .I own a current spec cbr1000rr motorcycle witch run a a very high comp ratio & when we go for some big rides you can only get e85 in the bush ,apart from fuel milage not much differance in the hp department(seat of the pants feel)

it's not a performance things with E10 and boats, yep, some plastic tanks and lines don't like E10 but it's what it does with a slight
    amount of water that's scary..it seperates. Say a 100L tank of E10 has 1L of water added (not that much really when you consider you are surrounded by the stuff) in normal ULP the water will just be on the bottom of the tank and probably never give you a drama. With E10 the ethanol will seperate and leave you with 90L of fuel and 11 L of crap that won't burn.....so even if you outboat "can" use it...DON'T. Call it a scare campaign if you like, but when you have troubles with your boat, don't go to the servo or on here whinging and complaining that their fuel had water if you used E10.......

as i said in my original statement the main problem is of the fuel seperating (left in the tank to long)thats the owner fault not the fuel .I repair cars all day long & we dont have have cars coming in on tow trucks cause of e10.what we have seen is some of the fuel additives have eaten away at the intank fuel pumps mainly the strainer and the o ring. FUEL ADDITIVES DO NOT CLEAN INJECTORS.The only way is by ultrasonic bath,in regards to 95 or 98 all boats should have a fuel filter/water seperator fitted as you can still get a bad batch of fuel from the servo .

As for the whinging,do youself a favour go to your local boat ramp and watch at the amount of boats that take a long time to start or dont at all or sit there blowing clouds of smoke.When do you think the last time was when they removed the strainers from the carbies or remove the float bowl to give them a clean,what about the dirt thats sitting in the fuel pump,hoe many boats have after market fuel filters on them (has yours) i could go on.the fuel would be last on my list

Can anyone comment on Stabil fuel stabiliser? I heard that its main purpose was to make the water melecules bond to the fuel in a burnable form again rather than letting the water pool at the bottom of the tank.. I would think that would go a long way to fixing the trouble of water in the fuel tank.. don't know as for the plastic fittings being affected by the E10.. I don't use it all the same but would like some user comments on the Stabil stuff.

I haven't been given or shown any real evidence that the E10 is bad, other than that the water does separate the Ethanol from the Petrol. I personally won't use it.