Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Fish Is This? (the fish ID thread)

What Fish Is This? (the fish ID thread)

Just thought I would start up a thread for all those who catch fish that they can't identify.
    I would ask though, if you don't know what it is....please don't kill it and keep it. Take some photo's and release it. Also be careful handling fish that you can'y identify - there are some nasty critters out there that look so innocent, but can inflict some serious (life threatening) injuries.

So post up your ID questions an let the resources of Ausfish help you out.

Cheers

Greg

Re: What Fish Is This? (the fish ID thread)

Hopefully it goes Sticky

cheers tim

I know we have some marine scientists and professional photographers amongst our members (as well as some extremely knowledgable and experienced amatuer members in the same fields). Perhaps they could post here on how to photgraph a fish to allow an accurate identification to be made. Just simple stuff - without getting in to fin ray counts and tooth shape etc. So the average fisho (like me) can capture the necessary detail to make accurate identification. This is aimed at both legal requirements (legal lengths, bag limits, protected species) and 'environmental' requirements (edibility, venemous, poisonous, physically harmful).

Greg
    the pic needs to be clear, well lit and the fish taking up as much of the picture as possible

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

photo.jpgHi does anyone know what this is it was nabed at yamba middle rock last easter

its a green sea toad, usually bite through your hooks!!!

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

??

What is that?? ^^ mutant flathead?

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plastic Grinners

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Not far off gavinsp! This was a tough one but I think these fish are the Ogilby's Ghost Flathead (Hoplichthys ogilbyi). They are in the family Hoplichtyidae of which there are about 5 species found within Australian waters. This is a deepwater flathead species sometimes caught in trawl nets. Apparently this family of fishes is quite edible but they do not have a lot of flesh. I don't think I would want to eat one! What ugly fish!
    Cheers
    Jase

Now who's going to post up a photo of a spotty or Schooly mac????

images.jpg

I genuinely wonder what this could be

I tried to start a thread that could be a one click link to a serious resource for Ausfishers new and old, maybe even made a 'sticky'. I guess I was mistaken. I will leave it to the 'smart asses' to ridicule anyone who puts up a question on fish ID in the regular forums.

It would be handy to have, a thread like that and maybe having mods keep it clean by deleting all the piss taking comments. I made the mistake of asking a question in the past and there was almost 2 pages of smartass replies. Now if I catch something and aren't sure I dont bother putting it up just in case it's another "that's a rare highly dangerous blue spotted flying duck fish". Surely I can't be the only one who hasn't grown up fishing and is now only having an opportunity later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    It would be handy to have, a thread like that and maybe having mods keep it clean by deleting all the piss taking comments. I made the mistake of asking a question in the past and there was almost 2 pages of smartass replies. Now if I catch something and aren't sure I dont bother putting it up just in case it's another "that's a rare highly dangerous blue spotted flying duck fish". Surely I can't be the only one who hasn't grown up fishing and is now only having an opportunity later in life.
    Your thread was just a friendly piss take at your expense, there was no malicious intent. You got the correct answer quite quickly just people having a bit of harmless fun. Don't stop asking questions because of that thread as there are no stupid questions only stupid answers and you got plenty of them (myself included).

I doubt this one thread fish id will work as all the answers to the posts will get mixed up with people answering previous ones etc after new questions are added and confusing the issue, maybe have a specific sub forum for just fish id questions? (good idea but this thread has been here awhile and people still post i.d questions elsewhere)

People must also give as much info as possible regarding their catch eg: general area on where it was caught so others can answer correctly.

Here are some sites for future reference and assistance -
    http://www.fishbase.org/search.php
    http://australianmuseum.net.au/Fishes
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_630.htm
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...w-fish-species