Thread: At Last My Beer Keg Deep Fryer Pics

At Last My Beer Keg Deep Fryer Pics

Hi All,

A while ago there was a post about deep fryers, here are pics of my deep fryer made from a beer keg. It works a treat and we just love using it for a fish fry. The biggie back home is fish fries in prefence to just bbqs, i quess the difference is there is just simply more fish.

Hope you enjoy the pics and it may motivate you to build your own, my apologies in the delay in posting.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: At Last My Beer Keg Deep Fryer Pics

What a great idea, the problem will be the expense of filling it with cooking oil at around $3 a litre (bulk) but you can let it cool, filter, and store for later.

The only hiccup I can see is if you get too hot and it reaches flare up point from a little bit of a red glow under the stainless from too much gas, you will need to stand back if this happens and keep your fingers crossed

I cook lots of fish and chips at the moment re my current occupation and the trick is not to have a big temp drop from placing too much food, particularly battered fish. This is the problem with small deep fryers purchased from the retail stores, they cannot cope with anything and fish turns out soggy. Not a problem for you by the looks.

Good idea, good luck, but it will taste great

Ideal is 180c to 190c and I use an infrared thermometer to check against the fryer readouts

Jeez that burner looks a deadly weapon.
    Cheers
    Ray

I have had this fryer for years, its simple to use and i have never had a problem with overheating at all, i use the regulator to adjust the heat as well as the rod thats attached to the burner i can move it up and down if absolutely necessary. Yeah the burner looks deadly, however, its just looks its a very simple, safe and a easy to use mechanism.

Yes 180 degrees is about the ideal for frying, i just use a small piece of bread and drop it into the fryer if its brown within 30 seconds its ready to use. You can tell when the oil is not hot enough because when you drop the fish into the fryer it should go to the bottom of the fryer and float straight back to the top and within a few minutes its should be cooked and ready to remove. Flareups never have happened at all, neither has red spots under the bowl.

In a another lifetime i used to own a fish n chips chop so i am a bit more aware than the average as to how to operate it i guess. I use 4 litres of good quality canola oil for frying, when it cools down, i filter it and place it back into its original container for next time.

She's an evil looking beastie!
    Nice simple and effective. Great idea.

Cracker!!!!

you must catch heaps of fish if you need to deep fry your chips in bulk

~~~~Keep ya thirsty eyes off my jim beam~~~