Thread: Up grading sounder / gps to?

Up grading sounder / gps to?

Hey, I'm on the verge of buying a new unit. Wanting some peoples thoughts on witch what i should go. I've currently got a Garmin 556's, Witch i love the GPS function but Sounder isn't what i like.

Thinking of selling that and getting a HDS-7. Or keeping the Garmin and just getting a HDS-5X. I'm also going to get Structure Scan in a month or so.

Most of the fishing i do is just in the bay. Snapper Pelagics. i sneak outside on good days if i can if that helps.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Up grading sounder / gps to?

The HDS sounders are great.

I have HDS 5m gps and a HDS 5 x sounder, but if doing it again I would not get a hds5x because they do not have an SD card slot, so are problematic to do software updates etc, I would get a hds5 combo unit instead. That would also give you some redundancy of you keep the Garmin gps as well.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I thought about that. But i have been told the HDS-7 is a much clearer picture running at Full VGA.

Theres been some good prices around on the Raymarine A series, im guessing these are a superseeded model as first release prices for these were well over 2 grand(2 year warranty also at the time), i picked up my A70d for a grand including transducer, A50d looks a nice unit also, able to take Mapping cards and split screen. Im sure most makes are pretty good.

Just brought a HDS 7 today from BCF They are going at a very good price $1034. Big mark down from 1220.

I'm guessing thats with no Transducer? BIAS are doing them for 1395. with 50/20kHz. Or would i be better buying the unit solo and purchasing a Transducer by it's self?

Quote Originally Posted by fitbikes View Post
    I'm guessing thats with no Transducer? BIAS are doing them for 1395. with 50/20kHz. Or would i be better buying the unit solo and purchasing a Transducer by it's self?
    You would be much better off getting the same transducer from the US at about half the price from here. Not much to go wrong compared to a head unit re warranty.

Having owned both HDS and Humminbird I would certainly go the bird for mine. Lowrance has well documented poor service issues (do a search) and I find the bird has a better display for the 2 D sounder. Both have side and down scan options but even with these I still find myself refering to the 2D display most of the time. The HDS5X I owned for 6 months and was pretty good but the GPS startred doing crazy things not long before I sold the boat. The bird Ive had for 18 months and no issues at all.