Thread: Best fuel tank sensor to connect to Garmin Gfs10

Question Best fuel tank sensor to connect to Garmin Gfs10

Hi guys 'n gals. I am currently having a fuel tank made for my 5m stacer seamaster and am looking for a level sender to connect to my Garmin gfs10 flowmeter. This will, in turn, connect to my gpsmap551 via nmea 2000. I am unsure of the exact depth of the tank at this stage. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks

John

Re: Best fuel tank sensor to connect to Garmin Gfs10

Hi John

There are 3 potential approaches for you to consider for establishing your fuel level.

1. If you engine is NMEA 2000 certified, you can most likely get an NMEA engine interface cable that will connect to your nmea2k network. Then you'll be able to get a heap of engine data including fuel low, mileage and fuel used and remaining in the tank. You can then display a heap of engine data plus fuel data as mentioned, on any nmea2k display that you have connected to your network. This is probably the most accurate way to track actual fuel used and fuel remaining that currently exists.

The way it works is that when you set it up, you tell the system (input via you gps etc) how much fuel your tank holds, the engine interface gets data from the ecu about how much fuel has gone thru the injectors, and the system then calculates fuel used and remaining to empty. Clever stuff, and very accurate once set up properly.

2. Get a nmea2k fluid level sensor, connect it to your network, calibrate it to suit your tank and again, the data can be shown on any nmea2k display on the network. This is the least accurate method because, the same as the old float level type of gauge, fuel sloshes around in the tank and the reading varies wildly because of this.

3. Get a nmea2k fuel flow sensor, this fits in the fuel line and measures fuel as it flows thru the fuel line. It is not compatible with some efi engines due to the way their fuel pumps work. But if it is ok with your engine, it is probably the no. 2 way to get accurate fuel readings.

I know that Lowrance has both fuel flow and fluid level sensors that connect to nmea2k networks and they will display on any nmea2k display, not just Lowrance ones. I also believe that Garmin have these sensors as well.

Hope this info helps. I have option 1- my Suzuki 115 has an engine interface connected to my network and I get accurate fuel used/ remaining/mpg data displayed on my Lowrance HDS units.

Cheers

Ml
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: Best fuel tank sensor to connect to Garmin Gfs10

Thanks Moonlighter,

You have confirmed what i was suspecting. I currently have the Garmin fuel flow sensor (gfs10) installed and working. I think i was trying to over engineer a simple matter.

Regards

Stewey