Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin GPSMAP 750 users - happy?

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 750 users - happy?

aharding, nice images there and thanks, what setting do you usually run out of interest, im still getting my head around options like whiteline and your seeming to get good images so interrested in how you tweak it

cheers
    Mike
    Tangles KFC

Whiteman,

Garmin now do the Airmar 1kw T/M as a plug and play option.Talk to Anthony at Northside Marine for details.
    It has the same plug end as the standard Tranducer does and plugs in with no drama, easy as.
    Makes a massive difference to the unit (as it should) in water deeper than 80m and in shallow water gives the unit great clarity and definition.You still need to run the unit in manual to get the best from it.
    I was needing better performance myself from the unit in water over 80m so I took the chance on the kilowatt and it has made the difference.Can't really split it from the Furunos I have used now .

Birdy

how much mate was the 1kw, so it plugs straight into the previous connections
    Tangles KFC

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aharding View Post
    Whiteman, I had a good reading to 200 metres on Saturday on 50khz and bottom lock, easily picking out fish targets, our canyons here drop to 600m steeply and I'm confident I could read to at least 300m on the 600w, I will try this weekend weather permitting and see what it does, that's not the first time I have heard poor depth performance though from a 750s user - I did turn my gain right up and never rely on auto settings.
    Yeah, I saw a couple of reports that the 750s wasn't much chop in deeper water but plenty say that their units are OK. I guess I'm in the former group. It is really interesting that the feedback is consistently good to around 40m then drops away dramatically from that point. I have fiddled with gain but it doesn't help. This is a pain for me as we chase trout and red throat to 40m then need 50m+ for reds and these can be hard to find with a good sounder!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Whiteman,

Garmin now do the Airmar 1kw T/M as a plug and play option.Talk to Anthony at Northside Marine for details.
    It has the same plug end as the standard Tranducer does and plugs in with no drama, easy as.
    Makes a massive difference to the unit (as it should) in water deeper than 80m and in shallow water gives the unit great clarity and definition.You still need to run the unit in manual to get the best from it.
    I was needing better performance myself from the unit in water over 80m so I took the chance on the kilowatt and it has made the difference.Can't really split it from the Furunos I have used now .

Birdy
    Birdy, my local shops are in Townsville and we have a dealer I can talk to. I really need to borrow one of the transducers to see if I can get it working on my Quinnie - the dealer also sells Quinnies so maybe he'll help me - I'll see tomorrow.

Even in 30-40m the view is a little pixilated with the 500w tranny. I usually have it set on bottom-lock showing only 10m. Does the 1kW seriously improve the 20-40m range as well? If it gets close to Furuno I'll be happy again.

Whiteman,

Not sure how the Killerwasp will run behind a quinny , they are pretty big and can be set pretty deep if you want. I have it set shallow on the back of my 600F and it is pretty clean at all speeds, that's more a hull design dynamic and not the transducer tho.
    If you go that way the first time you use it from the ramp the difference is noticable , much finer definition.
    The target definition is better than a 620 or 585 in shallow water , in the deep (120m) they are as good as a furuno .
    One small change to the unit is that it runs alot hotter , this may or may not be a concern over time.

An example is over xmas i could pick out individual trag in 80m of water that were feeding in a bait school, I havn't had it over reds yet but I think it will find them.

Aigutso,

Yeah the 750 has the capability to run the 1kw and it plugs strait in and works. They are not cheap but to get what i wanted it was a 585 or try the 1KW on the garmin , glad i did .

Birdy

I was quoted $1,500+ for the 1kW tranny - not tested on a Quinny. Don't think so. I can buy a fish shop for that price!

Im in the "had some issues at depth, but now OK" club.
    The first few times I went into 50m or deeper I couldnt even get a bottom image ? Never did work out what I tweaked but it seems to be working ok the last few trips. Granted, I was surface fishing in 60m and not really paying attention to the bottom but I did see it pick up on a bait school down deep.