Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live fibre rods for red

Live fibre rods for red

Been looking at getting a live fibre 2019 rod for red emperor. Should I get the 10-15 or 8-15 or 6-20 kg rods

Re: Live fibre rods for red

I would be looking more at the 20kg, so you can get some muscle on them, hopefully beat the sharks.

I will be building a couple of rods shortly, interested in any other brands suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    I would be looking more at the 20kg, so you can get some muscle on them, hopefully beat the sharks.

I will be building a couple of rods shortly, interested in any other brands suggested.
    Interested in all brands, just finding what’s suitable

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Been looking at getting a live fibre 2019 rod for red emperor. Should I get the 10-15 or 8-15 or 6-20 kg rods
    Tim

Spin or overhead / what is the reel you are using ?

What breaking strain ?

Also -There is no point in having a rod rated to 20kg if your reel has only 12 kgs of drag

Bait or Artificial ..... That will make a difference in rod selection too ....... ah the joys of buying a fishing rod

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

rods are not rated to the drag of the reel but the breaking strain of the line class used on them

i have 60 pound cod rods and have 20 pounds of drag over them and thats about their limit 60 pound of drag would snap them

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    rods are not rated to the drag of the reel but the breaking strain of the line class used on them

i have 60 pound cod rods and have 20 pounds of drag over them and thats about their limit 60 pound of drag would snap them
    True ..... kind of ..... some but nowhere near all

Some rods are rated for the cast weight - 100g , 10-40g etc
    some rods are rated for cast weight & line class

As for breaking strain ...... not for a PE rated rod
    Braid ..... most braids break well above their stated breaking strain

Why are some rods wide specified ? - PE 2-4 , 4-9kg , 2-5kg , 10-20kgs , 6-20lb ( these are all in my collection) One of my Venoms is 15-40lb

So as you can see - it's pretty broad how rods are rated .

I can fish comfortably 30lb braid through a miller rod rated at 5-8kg ...... but I'm fishing with a reel with a drag of 15-20lb & can lock it up without an fear of breaking the rod .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

So - how can the rod be rated to 60lb but would fail at 20lbs of drag ? - it goes against what you have said

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I never said that
    I said I fish a 60 pound rod with 20 pound of drag

pe is not a poundage rating it’s a diameter rating
    that’s why the rods will have a lure weight or drag rating
    https://www.fishingworld.com.au/how-...t-is-pe-rating

I never said that
    I said I fish a 60 pound rod with 20 pound of drag

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/how-...t-is-pe-rating
    Take a breath .... nice & deep ... then read what you wrote.

i have60 poundcod rods and have 20 pounds of drag over them and thats about their limit 60 pound of drag would snap them
    How can they be 60lb cod rods but you only fish 20lb over them ?

If they are 60lb rods - you should be able to fish 60lb over them ....... Im not saying dead lift 60lb either

A 60kg game rod is meant for 60kg line , 24kg stand up rod is meant for 24kg line , A 50lb black bass rod is meant for 50lb line

Yes - I know that PE is about diameter .... PE8 is 0.48mm regardless of the breaking strain - Tasline will break well over 110lb (they say 116.2lb)
    hence my comment

As for breaking strain ...... not for a PE rated rod
    Braid ..... most braids break well above their stated breaking strain
    So what exactly does this mean
    A GT rod may have a Lure rating of 170 gram maximum & a max rating of Pe8 (no other ratings) ....... how does that work out ? - Tasline PE8 breaks at 116lb - I can tell you now that I wouldn't fish 116 lb through this rod ....... 80-90 lb yes

Back to my original post - this is why there are more questions to be answered before choosing a rod - the reel & its drag capacity are an important piece of the puzzle . Why have a rod rated at 40lb when you can only apply 20lb of drag ?
    Back in the day of monofilament - people would set their drag at 1/3rd of the breaking strain ...... today with braid that old rule has gone out the window .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Tim

Spin or overhead / what is the reel you are using ?

What breaking strain ?

Also -There is no point in having a rod rated to 20kg if your reel has only 12 kgs of drag

Bait or Artificial ..... That will make a difference in rod selection too ....... ah the joys of buying a fishing rod

Chris
    Overhead - Matched to a Talica 12 ( 18kg drag) and bait

Have two Live Fbre Rods in the lineclass you suggest (Overhead offcourse ) which i put together some time back especially for chasing Reds and Red Jew (Large Mouthed Nannys) and for me the 10-15 was picked up n used moreso than the 20lb which i found to be a tad overboard for Reds though good for Black King and Big Cod .
    The 10-15lb i found a tad more comfortable to use without feeling like a broomstick and loaded up with less breaking strain Braid also..
    just my 20cents worth ..

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Overhead - Matched to a Talica 12 ( 18kg drag) and bait

OK - go for a up to 40lb rated rod (30-40lb braid) - You dont need a sensitive tip but a 6'6" ish rod would be nice under load
    A powerful butt section / medium taper rod ..... would be what I would be looking for

There would be enough there to go hard if you needed to - but you wouldn't be fishing a broom stick .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a 7 foot live fibre which I'm selling, ill get a picture for you if you're interested. Its used maybe twice by me. VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Take a breath .... nice & deep ... then read what you wrote.
    How can they be 60lb cod rods but you only fish 20lb over them ?

If they are 60lb rods - you should be able to fish 60lb over them ....... Im not saying dead lift 60lb either

A 60kg game rod is meant for 60kg line , 24kg stand up rod is meant for 24kg line , A 50lb black bass rod is meant for 50lb line

I suggest you do the same its a conversation not a pub brawl because i dont agree with you

do you fish 60kg of drag over that 60kg game rod?, you dont use a drag thats100% of a lines rating pe or mono
    knot strength abrasion and many other factors prevent this

technically they are spooled with 50 pound pe and 50-60 pound leader on 40-60pound line rated rods
    i am fishing 50 pounds but am not using 50 pounds of drag as the rods wont handle it

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    I have a 7 foot live fibre which I'm selling, ill get a picture for you if you're interested. Its used maybe twice by me. VGC.
    that would be great