Thread: Engine Grounding 'post' corroded - help!

Engine Grounding 'post' corroded - help!

Guys, question for the electronics gurus among us - I have an in-board VP 5.7L V8 where the battery grounding post on the block is heavily corroded. I have had the boat a year (it's 5yr old now), and on maintenenace inspections, I couldn't believe the extent of corrosion, to a point where I'm scared to disturb it in case it falls apart! If I do get the two battery negatives off ok (the terminals of these heavy leads are actually ok), where is the best place on the engine to relocate them? The engine mounting bolts perhaps? thanks in advance, Brian.....
    Hard work never hurt anyone.......but I'm not takin' any chances!

2005 Four Winns Sundowner 255, VP DuoProp 320HP
    Mongrel thing to fish out of, but I get to go out more often and take the family too!

Re: Engine Grounding 'post' corroded - help!

If it was me i would put the negative as close to the starter motor as possible
    92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU,96 MU Wizard, 2014 MUX, 2019 DMAX
    Australia's loudest MU
    MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
    If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?

As pig said,as close as poss to the starter,probably on the bell housing,remove one bolt from the housing,and clean all the paint off where the connector is going to touch,wash your connectors in baking soda or washing powder to get rid of the corrosive oxides,smear the connectors with vaseline,not heavt,then tighten them down with a decent spanner that wont slip,as much pressure as you can get without breaking the bolt,though this would be difficult with what I would guess are 10mm or more.
    After tightening things down smear again with vaseline and you're done.
    Clean up the old connection spot with baking soda also.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Only repeating what the other guys said above insofar as simply puilling out another bolt from the engine and using that instead of the coroded one.

Next think is of course to replace all the wire connecting lugs and see if you have to strip the wire back to get past the "black" stuff if the cable core is also badly corroded.

May as well do this chore while you are doing the repositioning of the earth.

From then on, swamp the post and connectors with some Lanolin spray at least once a week as a MINIMUM as corrosion builds up very fast here as it does on battery terminal posts.

I have a V8 similar to you and originally had exactly the same issue, do the above and no further problems - other than paying for the fuel!