Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a quality offshore spin outfit

Help with a quality offshore spin outfit

Hi All ....... I'm just trying to help out a mate who is after some advice on a decent heavy offshore spin outfit.
    I believe it will be mainly used for jigging / trolling ........ but the reel could be used for chucking poppers at a pinch (but on another rod) - 40 or 50lb braid.

I dont really know to much about this genre of tackle ....... so your thoughts and experiences will be helpful - specially size (daiwa vs shimano) - brand & model ....... & rod selection (maybe a jig & a popping rod) ...... choice of braid

Budget ...... $1600 ish (1 reel & 1 rod)

Ta in anticipation

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Help with a quality offshore spin outfit

A jigging outfit may be 50-80lb rod (live fibre my choice) coupled with a Daiwa Saltist STT40H loaded with 50lb Jigman braid. Can use this outfit for trolling.

With that sort of cash Nagg he could get two setups, a dedicated heavy spin and a troll / jig rig. The trouble I find with trolling with your spin rig (apart from painful) is that you invariably come across a show that requires some lure tossing and by the time you re-rig from trolling the opportunity has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MackerelMan View Post
    With that sort of cash Nagg he could get two setups, a dedicated heavy spin and a troll / jig rig. The trouble I find with trolling with your spin rig (apart from painful) is that you invariably come across a show that requires some lure tossing and by the time you re-rig from trolling the opportunity has passed.
    He has more than enough game gear (overheads) - so how often it would be used for trolling is anyones guess ..... more likely to see a livie chucked at a marlin or bull dollie - deep jigging kings or other ooglies.
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

This might help make a choice.
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/7683...010-the-review

Saltigas in various forms, Stellas and perhaps Accurate Twin spins are worth checking out
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    He has more than enough game gear (overheads) - so how often it would be used for trolling is anyones guess ..... more likely to see a livie chucked at a marlin or bull dollie - deep jigging kings or other ooglies.
    Oooh, ok then if it were my money I would be happy with a Catalina 6500 and a Smith Komodo Dragon for about that amount of coin.

I have found the best heavy offshore outfit i own and consistently go back to is a Daiwa Z6000 and a relatively cheap T curve 200 jig stick. Naturally there are many combinations today that you can choose but stick to the better reels of Saltiga or the SW series Shimano's; i have outfits with both and they are all good. The outfit mentioned is a great bottom bounce outfit, light jig outfit, can be trolled quite effectively for most surface fish although i would baulk at the billfish family with the rod. Although not perfect you can also float line with this outfit although a longer rod would be desirable it still works a treat as it is especially in deeper water. It also live baits well; just a good all round outfit. Place the reel on a designed purpose popping rod and you are in business chucking poppers as well although this is a bit beyond me these days.
    Regards to all Dick

Quote Originally Posted by MackerelMan View Post
    Oooh, ok then if it were my money I would be happy with a Catalina 6500 and a Smith Komodo Dragon for about that amount of coin.
    I have the Catalina 4500.........great saltwater reel,it's big brother the 6500 would be my choice aswell.

Dan

If a stella SW - what size (10,000 ???) for 50lb

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Something Similar to Ifish i think.

TCurve GT special 7'0" 20-50 Kg Line
    And
    20000 Shimano Stella
    And
    80lb fins Line

have the 6500 Catalina matched to a Wilson Venom 350, great outfit for the money
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by fishinwahbee View Post
    Something Similar to Ifish i think.

TCurve GT special 7'0" 20-50 Kg Line
    And
    20000 Shimano Stella
    And
    80lb fins Line
    I cant work out
    shimano sizes .......... what does a 20000 compare to in daiwa size ? (6500 ?)
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I cant work out
    shimano sizes .......... what does a 20000 compare to in daiwa size ? (6500 ?)
    Along the same lines size wise.........IMO Daiwa has it in the heavy duty saltwater spin gear.......Guys at the local tackleshop are Shimano fans exept for the big spin stuff........Daiwa seems to be a better product according to them

Hard call when you get to the top of the pile so I would say 4500 saltiga or Stella 10000 for 50lb and a 6000or dogfight in daiwa or a Stella in the bigger sizes for 80lb and as far as a rod goes they make a great range in the tcurve series IMO ....matt. I love my saltiga s-extreme 4500 and they do one called a maverick which is high speed retrieve
    Last edited by bluefin59; 01-01-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Auto correct problem
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Hard call when you get to the top of the pile so I would say 4500 saltiga or Stella 10000 for 50lb and a 6000or dogfight in daiwa or a Stella in the bigger sizes for 80lb and as far as a rod goes they make a great range in the tcurve series IMO ....matt. I love my saltiga s-extreme 4500 and they do one called a maverick which is high speed retrieve
    That's the problem ...... a decent budget - size does matter (for flexibility) = no point having a 20000 if you are only fishing 50lb ........

i think it will be a Stella 10000 ....... at this stage

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO