Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mackeral set up for the bay

Re: mackeral set up for the bay

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    I was thinking of using that new Stradic 6000 spooled with 20lb braid with the Berkley Dropshot 7-9kg rod. Got some chrome slugs on Friday; 15, 20 & 25 gms. Do you recommend a short fluoro leader to the slug?

Then I could use the TSS4 with 20lb mono on the Ugly Stik.

Don't know what would be the better option really.

TOL
    TOL, if you want, you can simply use your normal 20lb mono trace with a short 6" 60lb fluro trace to the slug, just join them with a 3 turn surgeons knot like this http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php

you wont lose a lot of casting distance with this and the fluro will be tougher than just the 20lb trace... or dont worry about fluro, if you lose some slugs you will have an excuse to buy some more

mike
    Tangles KFC

TOL, i've got a handful of 3inch single strand wire traces on a bunch of my small chromies. It's nice to have that little bit of insurance, it will still get bitten off if it takes it right down or if a solid barrie grabs it but is great on the spotties.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    .........Anyone using penn ss and TSS4's these days are living in the dark ages...
    Or just sticking with what works. Guess you're one of those guys where tackle shop owners rub their hands together when you walk in. Just because something new comes out doesn't mean that it's more effective at catching fish (but maybe catching fisherman!)

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Or just sticking with what works. Guess you're one of those guys where tackle shop owners rub their hands together when you walk in. Just because something new comes out doesn't mean that it's more effective at catching fish (but maybe catching fisherman!)
    Hmmm, I don't know Mattooty, gear has come along way since these days, there was a time that this equipment superceded older methods like burleying up and floating pillies on handlines and I'm sure plenty of blokes would have resisted buying these new fandangled TSS4 things for their tried and proven methods also.

If there is one thing that the new generation graphite rods and light spin reels spooled with braided lines have it is that they can double up as a nice plastics outfit also if you're that way inclined, where as the spinfishers, tss4's and ugly sticks get retired for 6-8 months of the year waiting for their one purpose in life to swim back through again.....

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    TOL, i've got a handful of 3inch single strand wire traces on a bunch of my small chromies. It's nice to have that little bit of insurance, it will still get bitten off if it takes it right down or if a solid barrie grabs it but is great on the spotties.

Nice mate, you must be the one still driving around in a horse and cart. But each to there own, just trying to help a newbie out. Given that I was the person behind the tackle store counter I'm not sure who would be rubbing their hands together?? Appreciate your constructive comments, that's what makes this such a great forum.

Scott

Ha Ha guys
    Lmao-- all this talk about knobs falling off.
    I have a warped sense of humour.

Cheers
    Ronnie

Just returned from Platypus Bay today chasing Spotted mackeral. My gear of choice is a Daiwa Triforce graphite rod 10-17 lb and a Pflueger Arbor 40 reel spooled with 15lb braid with 20 lb leader and no wire trace. This is a quality outfit for less than $300 and fantastic on spotted mackeral My mate and I landed 9 today and 8 on our previous trip about 10 days ago. Cheers Winson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Ha Ha guys
    Lmao-- all this talk about knobs falling off.
    I have a warped sense of humour.

Cheers
    Ronnie

Oh Ronnie, puhleez!!!!

I'm shocked!! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine something like that from you!!

I think I'd better have a Valium sandwich! Maybe a Mogodon milkshake as well!

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Nice mate, you must be the one still driving around in a horse and cart. But each to there own, just trying to help a newbie out. Given that I was the person behind the tackle store counter I'm not sure who would be rubbing their hands together?? Appreciate your constructive comments, that's what makes this such a great forum.

Scott
    Just putting it out there that not everything shiny and new is more effective than tried and tested products. TOL is living proof, he ain't shiny nor new but he's good at what he does (sometimes)

Finga's a lot newer than me Matty, and he's a lot shinier too, especially on the top of his head. Wonder how it'd come up with a bit of Turtle Wax and a rub with an orbital polisher.

Now that's something for the next fund raiser for Camp Quality...........

Who can get Finga's head the shiniest?

TOL

Thanks for the post Winston.

How long a leader do you use?

Also, what about a snap swivel at the end of your leader to give quick changes of slugs?

A very eminent fisho who doesn't post much on here any more told me a long time ago to avoid swivels at all costs as the macks will go for the swivels due to the bubbles they make.

So, it looks like I'll be using the Berkley Dropshot 7-9kg with the Stradic 6000 with 20lb braid and 20lb mono.

But I think I'll still take the Ugly Stik with the TSS4 with 20lb mono as well.

Yes, I know, I'm a dinosaur and still live in the dark ages and haven't come down from the trees yet, but it still works well.

TOL

Theoldlegend, no snap swivel on approximately a 4' leader. If I need to change lures, I just cut the line a retie with a full blood knot. The berkley dropshot should be excellent but the stradic may be a little heavy, however this will give you more options than chasing mackeral. Dinner tonight was Thai red curry with spotted mackeral washed down with a Wynns Shiraz. Bloody fantastic. Cheers Winston.

I'll toss in my favourite.

10ft Ugly and Penn850.

25lb mono ( used to have 30lb braid )

60lb penn 10X leader ( 1mtr )

30 - 40 gram " Lucky_Phill's Mackmauler slugs ".

Reason.:-

I use this gear at Hervey Bay chasing spotties, but in that time some nasty big Longtail turn up and things get wild which require some balls in the rod and reel department.

The 10ft Ugly allows me to cast nearly 100mtrs into the path of the moving fish.

It also allows my to " flick " ( cast ) the slug from down near the water a long way. I do this when there are a couople of people on board and I don't want to swing the rod over crews head etc... just a safety measure.

Only downside is the weight. But, I only sight-fish so I'm not actually pegging slugs all day hoping to connect.

To connect the main line to the leader, I simply tie 2 blood knots. Strong as and doesn't leave a bubble trail.

No swivels, no snaps ... oh and a single hook ( 5/0 VMC 9255PS ) O'shaunessy ( straight )

Further, to avoid bite offs ( in my own experience ) I place the split ring and hook at the FAT end of the slug. This allows the slug to enter the water arse first and also it will not turn in mid air, catching on the leader. Other slugs, like Toby's and Halco's.... flutter when they hit the water and this is where the macks will hit it and you lose the lure.

Year 2005( or was it 2006 ? )anyway.. December. Hervey Bay. 200 captures ( and release ) of Spottie macks for the loss of 5 slugs in total. That year the pro's were losing up to 15 slugs ( Toby's ) a day, each.

At the end of the day you choose the gear you can afford with advice from people with experience and the salesperson providing said combo.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by 610 View Post
    can you still get parts for the tss4 as i have one of these thats had litlle use but is missing the drag adjustment on the top, also does anyone know of a good place to get your reels serviced on the western side of brisbane / ipswich area. it might work out better to get this reel back up and running for cheap and spend extra on the rod. thanks for all your helpful replies so far.
    I Tried finding anyone with a tss4 drag knob last year... no good anywhere and I did try hard.... ended up getting an old 6500 baitrunner knob and modifying it(re tap the nut with correct thread)
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

So what did you decide on your Mackerel set up champ?

I'll throw my two cents in if ok. Its a little expensive and other suggestions would be perfectly fine but if you wanted you could go a Saltiga 4000H reel matched to a Saltiga s-extreme 76 Game, 7'6'' PE2-4. That way you can handle any long tails with ease and still have great fun with the macks.

Cheers