Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilliards Creek Ormiston

Re: Hilliards Creek Ormiston

Well, all going well I might go for a wander down there next Saturday arvo and throw a line, see what happens.

Anyone interested? TOL?

Mike

Would be interested to know what size hooks you use for the mullet and tilapia? I used size 10 long shank hooks when I caught mullet from Bulimba Creek at Carindale. Do you just use the bread on an unweighted line or under a float?

Thanks

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Zero View Post
    Would be interested to know what size hooks you use for the mullet and tilapia? I used size 10 long shank hooks when I caught mullet from Bulimba Creek at Carindale. Do you just use the bread on an unweighted line or under a float?

Thanks

Chris
    Chris,

If I go down next Saturday, I plan to use small hook, bread bait with no sinker. When I feed the ducks, I just throw the bread in, and as it sinks, the big fish come right up to the surface to take it. Will also take a couple of SP's to try, and a couple of small lures for a throw. Beats doing nothing while this weather isnt playing the game.
    '
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Well, all going well I might go for a wander down there next Saturday arvo and throw a line, see what happens.

Anyone interested? TOL?

Mike

Yeah mate, sounds good.

Give us a yell.

TOL

Gees Mike. You know you don't give John that much notice to go for a fish.
    Now he'll be:
    which rod to use.
    Which reel.
    Mono or braid.
    What poundage line.
    Which rig.
    Which tackle box.
    What style of sinker.
    What coloured undies to wear.
    Which Crocs.
    How will he get there.

Oh well. What else does he have to do

How were the outlaws this year John??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Chris,

If I go down next Saturday, I plan to use small hook, bread bait with no sinker. When I feed the ducks, I just throw the bread in, and as it sinks, the big fish come right up to the surface to take it. Will also take a couple of SP's to try, and a couple of small lures for a throw. Beats doing nothing while this weather isnt playing the game.
    '
    Mike

hey mike, the tricky part may be getting the "bait" past the ducks. please post your anticipated fishing time. i am interested in popping down for a look-see.
    cheers
    davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    hey mike, the tricky part may be getting the "bait" past the ducks. please post your anticipated fishing time. i am interested in popping down for a look-see.
    cheers
    davo
    When I have been down there feeding the ducks, I did notice when the big fish come out to eat ther bread, the ducks seem to stay away from where they are feeding. Maybe they scare the ducks away? Are the ducks aware of the bigger fish and keep away? Mate probably go down round 3pm, will confirm a time Friday arvo.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Gees Mike. You know you don't give John that much notice to go for a fish.
    Now he'll be:
    which rod to use.
    Which reel.
    Mono or braid.
    What poundage line.
    Which rig.
    Which tackle box.
    What style of sinker.
    What coloured undies to wear.
    Which Crocs.
    How will he get there.

Oh well. What else does he have to do

How were the outlaws this year John??
    Forget all that..he won't be going. That will intefere with a DDD and that ain't going to happen. You need to make a morning start to have TOL there.

Thanks PH, missed the Sat arvo bit.

Mike, we might have to make it mid morning.

And Finga, I've already started working on the gear, what time to leave home etc. It's 3.8 kilometres from my place to the creek, with 2 sets of traffic lights in between, plus 3 roundabouts.

Many many years ago, there was a small tannery beside the creek, which is now called Fellmonger Park, because a fellmonger in those days was someone who processed animal hides.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Many many years ago, there was a small tannery beside the creek, which is now called Fellmonger Park, because a fellmonger in those days was someone who processed animal hides.

TOL
    And they reckon I'm full of useless crap.
    At least knowing what a Fellmonger is isn't useless information I suppose.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I went down there with my girlfriend this arvo, she caught a 40 odd cm eel-tailed catfish, and I got 2 tilapia, one about 38cm and one around 25cm.

Tried corn, fish didn't take it, bread seemed to be the go there. Just used a small size 10 hook.

There are definitely some big fish in there though, big red dorsal fin and tail, hard to catch though, wouldn't take the bait.

Was a fun afternoon that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinsp View Post
    I went down there with my girlfriend this arvo, she caught a 40 odd cm eel-tailed catfish, and I got 2 tilapia, one about 38cm and one around 25cm.

Tried corn, fish didn't take it, bread seemed to be the go there. Just used a small size 10 hook.

There are definitely some big fish in there though, big red dorsal fin and tail, hard to catch though, wouldn't take the bait.

Was a fun afternoon that's for sure!
    Was that you fishing off the bridge? I walked round feeding the ducks with my wife this arvo, saw a guy and girl fishing off the bridge.

Mike

Yeah, that would have been us fishing there

Gav

WTF???????????? Why the freshwater section? The creek is tidal, so has to be salt water doesnt it????????????????????

Mike

Hi guys, i have seen the tilapia in there too. they are also in tinny creek and the big ponds at the playground behind bunnings in capalaba. i have caught plenty in tinny creek off the kayak and must say the are great on light bream gear. i was getting them on small hard bodies, but they have smartened up to them. i still get them on the soft plastics, but have been told earth worms are the go, yet to try them though.
    cheers, shappyAttachment 75186