Thread: Another fish ID please

Another fish ID please

Hi,

Here is another fish I need ID on. I have had people tell me it is a ocean barra?? We used to catch heaps of these a few years back, never greater then 25cm though.

Image100.jpg

Cheers,
    Robbie

Re: Another fish ID please

where did you catch it robbie? Gladstone Harbour?
    certainly has the shape of a juvenile barra. What size is this one?

Sand Bass,,,,,Night Fish,,,,,,,,,,Jewel Fish........my favourite name for them is Woolies Barra........they look like the little farmed barra they sell.

Dunno where you are but up here we usually catch them on flat bottom with no real structure........if you catch them you have drifted away from good bottom.

Dan

I have only ever caught these in Mackay QLD. Size was always 15-25cm. Always at the same spot, over shallow rocky bottom in amongst Bluey's & Grassy sweetlip. Like I said we caught so many of these for years & then all of a sudden they all disappeared - dunno where they all went??

Well we Have em in Darwin......i speared one 20 years ago at Dunk island FNQ and i have caught them in the Kimberly so they are not rare and have no relation to barra.The one in your pic is a fairly dark specimen and most are more silvery.

Dan