Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Boat ramp entertainment

Boat ramp entertainment

Took drive down clontarf this morning about 5.30
    There were 2 blokes putting in 4.2 m tinnie 40hp.
    I watched them for 20 mins.

They got boat in water but tide was bit low so bottom was in mud.
    They started the motor with motor fully out of water with the other bloke tring to push boat out of mud with the oar.

Well the motor was running for about 3 to 4 mins , no water .

Other bloke then got out and pushed boat out of mud.

The bloke in boat then started motor and this time he had some in the water and water was then pumping.

Other bloke then got back in boat and when they went to take off, boat didn't move.
    Skeg was in the mud.

Well then they tried reving the guts out of the motor. Still no go. Out comes the oar again. Push push. Well out of the boat again to push it out further. Well all looking good motor reving its ring out.till he tried to turn boat around and not looking he hit the walk way with his canopy.

After putting in reverse and plenty revs he finally got out into the middle, but wait, he had to pick his mate up.

Well shit he thought, I got to get back to the pontoon.

Well with a few laps he finally got to pontoon, and they were on their way.

By this time is was good 15 knt s/e.

I thought they must be going up the pine.

Wrong, straight out to front woody point bouncing along.

Doesn't it make u wonder.

Another bloke was there with me watching. He had to go.
    I couldn't . This was to good.

Re: Boat ramp entertainment

ahhhhhh yep nothing like a quiet morning out fishing........................................... ...
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of laughs this time of year! I'll bet when the motor packs it in he'll blame it on the manufacturer or the last guy who did the service on it!

Experience is a funny thing and its incredible how some people learn from their mistakes and others don't ever seem to get it!
    By the way I've made more than my fair share of stupid mistakes on the water - one mistake resulted in me getting towed home by a windsurfer.....hows that for an insult!

many times i have got myself some fish and chips and sat at the boat ramp for entertainment, just the process of backing a trailer down a ramp that is made for 3 boats at a time and 1 person takes up the whole ramp .. some the funniest moments i have ever seen have been at the boat ramp ....

seahorse, you should always take a fold out chair and a big bottle of iced coffee when visiting boat ramps. there is a bloke and his son? that put in at my local. seen them a couple of times and i reckon they would be stoked to get in the water in the first 20 minutes. both times they have rigged up ACROSS the rigging bays. and they were bloody slow rigging too. then another 5 minutes spent just on reversing down the ramp. up and down, up and down, up and down..... both times were weekdays. love to see it on a weekend. probably need to take a 6 pack too.
    cheers
    davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I can top that one.
    Last year about mid November a guy, obviously never had a boat before, bought a new cat...KC or similar about 6m. Intended to launch at the small ramp at the mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek at Shorncliffe. Sledging the boat off was his preferred launch style getting his mrs to reverse the boat down the ramp for him to be ready on board to cleanly leave the trailer. He lined the trailer up perfectly for the mrs, she did her part very well. He however had the motors running toed down fully before she was even given instructions to get into the ute to reverse down. The engines were both in reverse gear and running at about 1k rpm. Away she goes perfectly backward as instructed braked perfectly, the boat growling in anticipation then the winch rope parted, luckily i guess or maybe not, the boat moved back about half a metre on the trailer before the skegs dug into the foot oif the ramp, he gives it a fair rev and the engines rattle like a besser block in a concrete mixer and after about 20 secs of this he is in the water. She took the ute and parked it well and he came in to pick her up from the ramp, reversing the cat in. When it wouldnt go any further back due to the donks being both grounded he told her to wade in to climb in. She boarded after getting her arse wet and they tried to head to Moreton. Tried but it wouldnt get out of the water to plane, and eventually returned to the ramp. After a good 30 mins of getting the boat onto the trailer for a multitude of reasons that would have now led to a divorce I am sure, the view of the boat as it left the water was blood curdling. Both legs were scrapped, skegs both gone and new stainless props were about 6" diameter. I bet the donks were rooted too from dry running prior to the launch. Twin brand new 4st suzis about the 100hp mark i think.
    It wasn't funny, made me angry, all I wanted to do was walk over and beat this imbecile to a pulp, thankfully my mrs was in the car.
    Jack.

So with all the spare time some blokes have watching all these boat ramp antics, Do any of you with some experience actually offer any assistance? Some people have NO IDEA cause they have never been shown/told how to do it correctly AND safely.. If they knock back the offer of help then by all means, sit back and enjoy the show.

Makes you wonder how the hell they got their boat licence?
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Last time I checked launching a boat correctly wasnt a requirement to get a licence.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Yep always do, some accept others are just beyond help (don't want your help either).
    Last one I helped was 2 couples who had just bought an old fiberglass half cab with a 115 evinrude on the back. It was launched well, started but wouldn't go into gear when they were ready to go. I showed the owner how to test the gears buy removing the engine cover disconnecting the gear cable and manually engaging the gears. The whole time is wife was going off about "what about warranty, did you check it before you bought it, how stupid you bought a boat that doesn't work" think they paid $2500 for it.

He was pleased to discover it was only a broken gear cable. With 4 people, an esky full of beer and food for a day on the water, off they went down the river. Offered me a few beers as well.
    My mate and I were left wondering if we had done the right thing or not - either they would loose a finger or 2 changing gears or break down out on the bay and need to get towed home.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    So with all the spare time some blokes have watching all these boat ramp antics, Do any of you with some experience actually offer any assistance? Some people have NO IDEA cause they have never been shown/told how to do it correctly AND safely.. If they knock back the offer of help then by all means, sit back and enjoy the show.
    Have to agree, I have offered assistance to people who appear to be struggling at the ramp and they more often than not they have been very grateful for the help. But there have been others who have said no and as mentioned you let them go and kick back and have a chuckle.

Cheers
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

What advice can u offer someone who Skeg is in the mud and reving guts out of their motor to get it off.
    That's just common sence stuff. Hey lift the motor.

Anything else like holding their boat or help with motor not starting fair enough.

There are some people who do not know the ins and outs of boating and just learning, and there are some who are just idiots who just need to think a little.

This morning falls into the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    I'm actually considering selling the TV because i seem to be getting my daily does of entertainment from the ramp these days.I will help people some of the time if i can see they are struggling but there seems to be a fine line between helping someone and looking like the know it all hero.
    I usually base my decision to help someone on what type of person they are.For instance i don't have any problem helping out the mum and dad newbie if needed or a solo boater that's struggling but for some reason i can't seem to bring myself to help the hat backwards, shirt off cool dude that thinks he knows but clearly doesn't like the other day at Viccie point just before the storm hit there was a stand out clown with the above description running around barking orders and trying to organise people and work out the order that everyone can retrieve as he clearly was in a hurry to get his boat in before the rain came and whilst running around like a complete tool went ass up, flat on his back in front of everyone while he was running up and down the pontoon.It was an absolute classic.

I came across 3 of those guys MuddyTows launching from Donnybrook during a pretty busy period. They parked their obviously father's boat on the ramp and began to rig it. Took them 30 minutes I reckon. It's a 2 lane ramp with plenty waiting. I mentioned to them that the rigging lane was up there for that but only got abuse. Some don't want to learn. I guess age teaches that. Sometimes I wish we lived 100 years ago and you could respond with the appropriate lessons.

YOU WANKERS. Give em a handhing...... OH and who thinks watcing others misfortune or ignorance is funny.