Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Boat ramp entertainment

Re: Boat ramp entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Go for a walk Mike,

Much more enjoyable....Bit of exercise,have a fish on the way.
    You will feel better than watching blokes have dramas on a boat ramp.

Pete
    Come on it is something to behold as most VMR's and CG bases are adacent to boat ramps and you can't miss it.

I saw two birds going at it at the top of their lungs. I have heard all the word before but the way these two were going at it surprised me.
    The blokes were going about their business hitching the boats up the women were doing all the yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Drifty75, Mate I think your a little harsh.... Launching and retrieving is basic when done with regular Deckies who know what there doing.
    There are times I take people out who don't go out boating very much and even after going over what I need them to do they normally stuff something up... Like the last time I went out the mate lost the winch handle, left it on the winch instead of putting it back in the holder when he parked the car... I drive on so it wasn't a huge problem, but took about 5-6min instead of about 2min.... and I had a good laugh at his expense... I wouldn't call him an IDIOT for a simple mistake...
    Don't get me wrong bud, I would understand in a situation like that.. Depending on the shaft, a shifter would have probably got you out of that situation. A mistake is just that, a mistake and we all make them. But it's frustrating knowing that people are so silly to not have any forethought about what needs to be done, and when the time comes, have no clue.

There's a guy down the local ramp I've got to know. He lives in a caravan beside the ramp. Some might call him a bit of a no hoper and wonder about his life. He doesn't harm anyone and is full of interesting stories about the crazy things at the ramp. I try to get him talking about it.

Sure he could be doing more useful things like, well, I don't know. Everyone has a story and as long as they are doing no harm I don't see the slightest problem. I told him I'd take him out for a fish but he's not that interested which was a bit of a surprise.

He's a student of human behavior although he wouldn't be able to put it like that. I've never really seen him offer to help people out but he may as I don't like to hang there that often. Whenever there's a commotion he's always on the spot taking an intense interest.

Can I ask the collective: How far do you put the trailer in? On my new Baysport 575 with Sealink trailer I am thinking down until the aft rollers are at water level.

I plan on using a windward for and aft secured line of 15 metres or so tied on to rear of trailer at the 2/3 to forward point of the rope. That sound right?

Will have helpers. Thinking of maybe Raby bay ramp. Quietest time this weekend?

I previously imagined that you put the trailer in till the boat nearly floated. But now I realise you kind of 'pour' it into the water off the end of the trailer.

By the time the boat is at what would be its tipping point on the trailer, the stern is floating. That sound right?

Also does the drive on recovery use the same point on the ramp? ( Ie back rollers nearly wet?)

And lastly (sorry), does Drive on damage the hull? Roller 'impact'?

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Can I ask the collective: How far do you put the trailer in? On my new Baysport 575 with Sealink trailer I am thinking down until the aft rollers are at water level.

I plan on using a windward for and aft secured line of 15 metres or so tied on to rear of trailer at the 2/3 to forward point of the rope. That sound right?

I previously imagined that you put the trailer in till the boat nearly floated. But now I realise you kind of 'pour' it into the water off the end of the trailer.

By the time the boat is at what would be its tipping point on the trailer, the stern is floating. That sound right?

Also does the drive on recovery use the same point on the ramp? ( Ie back rollers nearly wet?)

All trailers/boat combos are different, so as to how far you would need to go into the water would depend on you particular setup, as some boats sit higher on the trailer, some have rollers and others have slides. These factors will determine how easy it is to roll on or off. What I would suggest is to go down to a busy ramp when you have some time and have a look at a number of boat launches, that will give you an idea of what to do and the inevitable what not to do.

Generally, driving a boat on the tailer is not too bad assuming the rollers are all in the right position and the boat isn't off line, if not, the rollers can grab under the chines and I have seen some damage to both rollers and the hull if you try and force drive it up when it is hooked like that, if the boat has been on and off a number of times you will know if it will have problems doing it and you will soon also know when something doesn't feel right, if it is your first time with this setup, then do it the hard way a couple of times using the winch to see if you will have any issues.

Just make sure that you have a rope/cable attached to the boat as you are backing down the ramp into position as some boats are real easy to slide off, sometimes before you want them to and they end up on the concrete ramp. Enjoy your new boat.

Think I may have seen your new boat yesterday , very nice.
    Shawn

Thanks. Hope it wasn't off in a trip without its new owner.

Thanks. Hope it wasn't off in a trip without its new owner.
    Nah Mate , if this was yours , it was in a certain dealers.
    Shawn

I have told this story many times but it still makes me laugh even now, some 15 years later.

Was fishing the rocks out the front of the Dohles Rocks boat ramp when this guy reversed his car down the ramp with a tinnie of about 12' loaded with the fishing gear. I don't know if the ramp has been improved at all but at that point it was a very long flat ramp that in essence you would pretty much have to put your car wheels at the same depth as the trailer wheels before launching. this guy reversed down until his trailer wheels were wet but his car was still dry.. essentially he probably only had about 3 or 4 inches of water under the boat... he proceeds to undo the safety chain and cable and give the boat an almighty push.......

Well the end result is that the boat is rolling backwards off the trailer until its nose sticks up in the air and the motor drives backwards into the concrete ramp... to top it off the boat then does the big barrel roll and rolls fully off the trailer upside down next to him. .... it was like watching a slow motion train wreck and being anchored out in the river fishing at that point there was little I could do except feel sorry for this guy as he scrambled to pick his gear out of the water and right the boat...

Still funny to watch ... albeit at someone elses expense..
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

So what I can't work out is how come I see reports and videos of some cars getting dragged backwards into the drink?

What did they do to cause that? Maybe back down too fast and brake and slide?

I suppose I will get a feel of how my new 575 glass boat goes when I back it down my driveway.... It's as steep, or steeper, than most ramps.

If the 2wd ute struggles there it will probably play up at the ramp too.

So what I can't work out is how come I see reports and videos of some cars getting dragged backwards into the drink?

I suppose I will get a feel of how my new 575 glass boat goes when I back it down my driveway.... It's as steep, or steeper, than most ramps.

Don't under estimate how slippery a wet boat ramp can be at low tide

Quote Originally Posted by The-easyrider View Post
    Don't under estimate how slippery a wet boat ramp can be at low tide
    I read elsewhere that you should chock your wheels on the ramp... Anyone do that?

Maybe a chock under front (dryest area) wheel? What about drive on recovery.... That ever push the vehicle?

The chock works if your handbrake is dodgy. Edburg was on the money when he suggested you visit your ramp on a busy day and watch and learn. Also offer to help and you could learn other things by having a chat. When you go to launch yours then pick a quiet day and hopefully someone with experience to help calm the nerves. Spend a few hours at it if you want. I'm sure someone on here would help,I'm in Vic so not much use. I drive on and off and have an L&R latch and for $300 its a ripper.

when on the ramp - dont just rely on your winch to hold your boat on the trailer when backing down and pulling your boat out. keep the boat safety chain attached until you are ready to go fishing.

when trailering - use a transom strap to keep the boat tight and secure.

make sure your tyres are good too if 2wd ute. be aware of tides. real low tide and its a good chance of a slippery ramp. have fun, catch some fish.

cheers

I read elsewhere that you should chock your wheels on the ramp... Anyone do that?

Maybe a chock under front (dryest area) wheel? What about drive on recovery.... That ever push the vehicle?

Few years ago at one of the local ramps, bloke back down the ramp in his new bronco and the wife then drives big cat on to trailer, spot on except boat stops about 1meter short, this guy then starts to scream at his wife who the slips on the throttles, cat leaps up the trailer hits the stops with enough force to bounce the whole rig about 1/2meter up the ramp, lucky no one hurt, guy very pale and wife very red faced, would have been interesting drive home.