Thread: Shark ID please

Shark ID please

Hi can some please tell me what these two sharks are? They were both caught at shoal point, Mackay QLD.

This one had a very distinct black outline around its fins & freaky white eyes! It also had two rows of very small sharp teeth. A school of these invaded my bluey spot the other day - I caught 6 of them in around half an hour ranging from 50-70cm.
    Shark01.jpg

This next one was caught at a similar location a few years back - what I remember it was around 70-80cm. Cant remember it even having any teeth??
    Image0014 (Small).jpg

Thanks for any help

Re: Shark ID please

The first shark is a Little Blue shark by it's body profile and black edged fins, but if the image is distorted and the shark is heavier set it will be a Graceful shark.
    The second one is a blind shark or cat shark by the looks.
    Jack.

WOW to quick thanks!!

I agree the 2nd one is surely a Graceful Shark. The 1st one was very slender like the blue, I guess the DPI website need to update there distribution map. Scary to think these Blue Shark's were caught no more then 200meters from a local swimming beach..

Cheers,
    Robbie

The second shark is a blind shark (cat shark by another name)

The first shark pic could be one of two possibilities, if the image is not distorting the weight of the shark it will be a Little Blue Shark, but if however the image is making the shark look thin but is actually heavier it will be a graceful shark, similar sharks in colorings but weight factors are well different. None of these are considered dangerous.
    Jack.

Opps sorry I meant to say the 2nd is a blind.

Thanks again for the help.