Thread: Where do you Fish?

Where do you Fish?

G`day,

I`m Looking at getting a yak to go fishing. I`m wondering where you go fishing around Brisbane? I`m at daisy hill and only a young bloke so getting out to Wivenhoe and such is Blody hard. I`ve got a boat, But I wanna get a kayak and try that sorta fishing.

Cheers

Re: Where do you Fish?

We (wifey and I) live 5kms south of you and frequent the upper Albert, Logan and Brisbane River systems. We access the Upper Albert section at the Stanmore Bridge area. The Brisbane - out near Lowood. Noosa River mouth for some salty stuff. Have a look at the Sweetwater fishing site for some locations as well.

Cheers,
    Wags

So what Makes fishing out of a Kayak diffrent from Fishing out of a boat?

Standing up to pee is taken for granted in a boat?
    A lot sneakier and purer in a paddle vessel. I say that because I paddle a kayak for fitness and fun but I fish out of a canoe. Doing over the duckinwilla area this week.

Fishing in a kayak - stealth - creeping up on fishies - you can access most creeks in a kayak where there's no boat ramp and as GBC has stated - fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Fishing in a kayak - stealth - creeping up on fishies - you can access most creeks in a kayak where there's no boat ramp and as GBC has stated - fitness.
    Yeah I get where youre coming from. I dont think there are many lakes around our area though.

Upper reaches of rivers and creeks are ideal for yak fishing.

Use google maps or a UBD book to find likely access spots. I do most of my fishing from a canoe and the minimal gear needed is great.

My usual kit is canoe, paddle, 1 fishing outfit, small landing net and a small bag containing drinking water, a few snacks and a small tackle box with 6 / 12 lures and other bits & pieces.

Anything is possible in a yak. I fish all sorts of areas including , lakes/dams, skinny fresh water creeks, upper salt brackish waters of creeks and rivers, open estuaries, out into the bay around Redcliffe, but just as many go to Wellington Point and also launch through the surf and head into open offshore waters chasing mackeral and tuna in the summer months and fishing the close in reefs for bottom species such as snapper and sweeties in the winter time.

You can launch anywhere there is access to water, not just from a boat ramp so it really opens up your opportunities. The yak is so quiet through the water you will see lots more fish then you will ever catch.

Good luck.

Kev

Just as just chips said fella kayaking is stealth n if Ur a little mad going in search of sharks on kayak is awesome getting towed round adrenalin rush much! Biggest so far was 1.8m shovel nose n a pro pot with it! Got tangled!
    I've caught more fish from my yak then from a boat! Lots things u can do! Mission down creeks site seeing wher boats can't go just for leisure! Fish them hard to get spots while sneaking up on fish! I also use my kayak to drop my baits when I'm land base shark fishing! Fitness side of it is great too! Best thing is hitting bay at 1st light when it's glass n just paddle out or as I do peddle hobie kayak way to go if got the coin!
    No rego launch from just bout anywhere! Its fun man