Thread: I need a gas freezer

I need a gas freezer

Gday gents and ladies,

We've booked North West Island in April for just the family (Leanne, Harrison and I). I need a gas freezer for the trip. The boys I normally go with a have BIG chest freezers that Leanne and I can't lift.
    We plan on driving over the boat and getting some gear (including the freezer) brought across on the barge.
    After researching here and elsewhere it would seem the 55l chescold 3 way is probably the best bet. People seem to have good experiences with them and it will probably hold enough for the three of us for the week and also be able to bring back a few fillets.
    I was in BCF the other day and they were $999.
    Do second hand models come up very often?
    I've also seen that a few places hire them - we'd need it for two weeks so that would be about $170 - I'd probably use it bit so a purchase is probably the best bet.
    Anyway - has anyone seen good prices - or have one for sale - or can recommend another model?
    Brett

Re: I need a gas freezer

Can't help with the chestcold, but.

Ever thought about putting that big arse freezer on a trolley fitted with balloon wheels, that way you could pull it up the beach etc. OR, jimmy up a block and tackle, reduction pulley and yank it up. Something like those baggage trolleys at the airport ???

Further, and I know you've already thought of this. Dry ice, or in fact normal ice will hold fish in a good esky for up to 8 days. Stack the fish whole and upright.

Once you get back to the mainland, I am sure you can find a place to fillet and freeze the goodies. Again further. Cryovac. works really really well.

Ebay or 4 x 4 forums ( classifieds ). Other than that, a small 240V tuckerbox and a small gennie.

Good luck with all that........

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi Brett,

I have owned the chescold model you are talking about, the Blue 50 litre one. I bought it (and later sold it) on ebay for around the early 500's mark so if I was you, that would be where I would look to buy it from.
    At the same time I also bought the Green 39 litre chescold...We took both these fridge/freezers to Northwest ourselves in Sept 2009.... we had problems freezing down bulk fish in any one shot, but that was mainly due to how much room temp filets we were putting in at once, if you put a few fillets in now and again, it would probably be alright.

That being said, I later sold the Blue 50 litre, because for me,I didnt like the divider inside that can separate fridge/freezer compartment. I preferred to have a stand alone unit that does either one or the other, is a fridge, or a freezer but not a combination of both.

I then bought an 80 litre Trailblaza for the purpose of freezing down bulk fillets.

In my opinion, the 39 litre Green Chescold is the better model over the Blue 50 litre combi.

Keep an eye on Ebay.

Mark

Best shot is to take dry ice in an esky to drop the fillets down chilled in then transfer to the freezer. Will quarter the work of the freezer and your fillets will freeze through uniformly and quickly. A 60 litre esky with two week-long blocks in it will chill out a hundred kilos or more of fish quickly and effectively over a week. Gas is always in short supply if you are looking at blocking the fillets for the trip home. Vac sealer bags are also worth taking along and run them off a small inverter from the boat.
    Jack.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reach of Ausfish is amazing - I've received a PM from someone already offering to sell a Chescold 40l version which will probably do the job. As Mark says - I don't really need the fridge - more the freezer to take over frozen meat and bring back frozen fish.

Phil,
    There's no generators allowed on North West so the tuckerbox is out - I need something like that little freezer Carlo brought up to Fraser that time. His stayed frozen and my Tuckerbox off the gennie didn't do so well if you remember correctly. As for the big freezers. They are 200l I think and probably a little bit of overkill ----- unless I want to bring home whole frozen REDS.

Jack,
    I think the vacuum sealer might be a bit of overkill - but we do plan to run another esky with dry ice for other cold things so putting the fillets in there would be a good idea.

It is a family trip so fishing is a bonus.

Brett

Yep, all good then Brett.

Yes.... Carlo's little gas freezer went well, and I think he still has it.

I went down the track a little while ago investigating the option of turning a 240V tuckerbox into a gas only freezer. Bloody unbelievably expensive.

I suppose you'll want some fishing gps marks for up that way too ????

cheers LP

if ya looking for good threeway gas fridge look at buying the primus 70lt bloody good one i.d recomend them they are great . you get 4 weeks out of 9kg bottle . greg

Greg is it a fridge or fridge freezer. I'm looking for a freezer option to keep things frozen for a few days and then freeze down some fillets before coming home.

Phil - how did you get so many marks for North West

You can borrow my 55 litre for two weeks no prob .This way if you dont like it ,you dont end up with something that you dont like or use.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Quote Originally Posted by greg30 View Post
    if ya looking for good threeway gas fridge look at buying the primus 70lt bloody good one i.d recomend them they are great . you get 4 weeks out of 9kg bottle . greg
    We also have the 70lt Primus which we used for North West, they work great as a freezer or fridge, just need to adjust the temp. We took all our frozen meals etc in the freezer and it kept them frozen along with fresh fillets daily for 2 weeks. It was running on 12V on the way up (Gold Coast -> Gladstone), 240V on the barge, and Gas on the island. Highly recommended if you're looking to invest in one. We haven't used it since as we now have 2 young boys, but hopefully it gets a workout again soon :-)
    Tight Lines.

Can someone tell me how this works - where has the 30 litres gone.

I haven't done the math here but there doesn't seem to be 30 litres difference in the internal dimensions between the Primus and the Chescold.

Primus:70 lt gross capacity, Internal size 485 x 495 x 250 mm, Powder coated steel
    Chescold :Internal: 29.5cm high x 47cm wide x 24.5cm deep

Brett

Yeah, you're right.

Primus is 60ltrs and Chestcold is 33ltrs. WTF ?

I can't even find a 70ltr Primus on their website ?

Can you post up model numbers ?

Cheers Phill

http://www.getawaeco.com.au/default.asp?id=430&catId=6

have you tried the waeco factory on the gold coast

they have new and seconds with warrenty

mate got a 3 way from there and it hasent missed a beat

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Yeah, you're right.

Primus is 60ltrs and Chestcold is 33ltrs. WTF ?

I can't even find a 70ltr Primus on their website ?

Can you post up model numbers ?

Cheers Phill
    Hi Phil,

This is the 70L model I have - Primus 70L 3 Way 12v 240v Gas Fridge/Freezer, model number #591770.

• Capacitiy: 70L Gross
    • Weight: 35kg
    • External Dimensions: 660L x 538W x 685H mm
    • Internal Dimensions: 495L x 250W x 485H mm
    • Gas: LP Gas 2.7kPa
    • Gas Consumption: 30g/hr
    • Gas Connection: 3/8 BSP (Hose and Regulator not included)
    • AC Power: 240Vac/50Hz
    • DC Power: 12Vdc
    • DC Consumption: 13.3Amp (Requires direct connection to 12V DC, no cigarette lighter connection)
    • Cooling Performance: 38-40 degress below ambient (performance figures are to be used as a guid only and are subject to variation due to operating conditions.)
    Tight Lines.