Thread: 12-15kg overhead rod

12-15kg overhead rod

G'day Blokes, I need a new rod in the 12-15kg bracket for fishing up around Bundy 1770 way. Most of the fishing i do up there is in shallow water (20-60m) compared to outside Brisbane.

I've got a spare TLD 15 or i might spalsh out and get a new reel too, is it worth getting a custom because I want to keep it light so I can charge all day(sometimes fishing from 5am-7pm).

What would you guys buy? budget about $200.00

Re: 12-15kg overhead rod

have a look at the wilson live fibre 10-15kg. very good rod i tell all my mates to buy them as a 1st rod. bcf has them 20% off till the 26th. about $180.
    cheers aaron/.

Get that rod but order a wilson live fibre in a skeleton i think BCF do this through wilsons and get them to shorten the foregrip as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Get that rod but order a wilsonlive fibre in a skeleton i think BCF do this through wilsons and get them to shorten the foregrip as well.
    You have me puzzled why you would do this. I find the skeletonized grip is the biggest con promoted by tackle manufacturers when used on heavier rods. They jam in rod holders when under load and often result in damage the grips and blanks in normal use. They also play up in rocket launchers etc.

I would use your TLD 15 and grab either the 7' 10-15kg livefibre or look at Silstar Crystal Blue Powertip or if you like a shorter rod then check out a Fin-Nor Offshore 30. It is very light but powerful and you could even go for the 30-50lb version
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If you read the post Horse ...Tickelish.... wanted something light to fish with all day and skelton rods can reduce this weight and hypalon does way a bit in the rear and fore grip and it does depend on the rod holders used.

Are the Synderglas Mag Jig 15kg rods still available or marketted under a different name these days? Bloody good 15kg OH rods for the money and will take 24kg if pushed. Being graphite they are light enough to actively use all day.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    If you read the post Horse ...Tickelish.... wanted something light to fish with all day and skelton rods can reduce this weight and hypalon does way a bit in the rear and fore grip and it does depend on the rod holders used.
    You might be right but I doubt I could tell the differance in weight in a 15kg outfit if I had my eyes closed. They do look good though.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Tickleish I have an 8-15kg live fibre (RLF9) that has been used once if you are interested? PM me if you are interested - I see you are in redlands - I am very close to you too