Thread: Which Radar would you suggest?

Which Radar would you suggest?

Hi Ausfishers,

I just have a query regarding Radar's.

On board my boat I have a Furuno 585 sounder and a GP7000 chartplotter, I also have a Raymarine S1000 Autopilot.....If I was to buy a radar for the boat, what brand (or even model) do you think would best suit this equipment?

Is it more important that the Radar is compatible with the chartplotter or the autopilot? and do they relate?

Thanks for any advice

Mark

Re: Which Radar would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Te Whiti View Post
    ....Is it more important that the Radar is compatible with the chartplotter or the autopilot? and do they relate? ...
    I assume you are talking about a stand-alone RADAR Mark? If so it doesn't really matter, as I don't think the GP7000 will display the RADAR screen or show an overlay etc. Some hig-end integrated RADAR systems can detect and dodge targets (with Autopilot) but in your case this wont be applicable.

Your S1000 could communicate with other Raymarine products via 'SeaTalk' (or something like that), and your GP7000 probably by NMEA0183 - or it may also have NMEA2000 ports, however that would only be to display speed or position etc. With a stand-alone unit I don't see the point in hooking them up.
    cheers
    Brendon

Thanks for the feedback Brendon, Yes i was referring to a stand-alone unit and was hoping some people had some opinions on the different Furuno radars on the market, pros and cons, and which one that could suit my current setup... I have been researching the Furuno radars and I am going to buy the 1835.
    A NMEA0183 cable connects the GP7000 to the 1835...i don't know what that achieves but know it exists, so I guess I'll just find out when i hook it up!

Mark

That is a good unit mate (like all Furuno's ), with a decent screen size too. I'm sure it will make you want to upgrade that GP7000 to a bigger screen.. . Enjoy