Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Big brother is watching.

Re: Big brother is watching.

Don't worry about it finga..Ob's problem is that he grew up in a dump..low socio economic area and has struggled to face reality and get out of that mindset..hnce the need to appear to be better than others..let him go if it makes him feel good about himself.

Same dump you grew up in pin head.

Don't get me started about why I want to change the industry I work in and why I'd be looking for an apprenticship...and yes I could easily get work in the industry I have been working in for the last 20 years.......but it has a lot to do with the closed shop, restrictive trade practice that is the electrical industry in Australia.

In this country, you can have a masters degree in electrical engineering with experience designing, specifying and managing electrical projects, you can even own an electrical contracting company...but if you want to get a full electrical licence and actually do the work, you need to serve an apprenticship........AND they wont talk to you about RPL or course exemptions till you have indentures signed.

In this country it is illegal to put 3 wires in a plug without a licence, where other countries you can wire a whole house with no electrical qualifications.....AND the safety statistics here are no better.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Same dump you grew up in pin head.
    The same dump Greg and Bruce grew up in and look at what they have achieved.

Don't get me started about why I want to change the industry I work in and why I'd be looking for an apprenticship...and yes I could easily get work in the industry I have been working in for the last 20 years.......but it has a lot to do with the closed shop, restrictive trade practice that is the electrical industry in Australia.

In this country, you can have a masters degree in electrical engineering with experience designing, specifying and managing electrical projects, you can even own an electrical contracting company...but if you want to get a full electrical licence and actually do the work, you need to serve an apprenticship........AND they wont talk to you about RPL or course exemptions till you have indentures signed.

In this country it is illegal to put 3 wires in a plug without a licence, where other countries you can wire a whole house with no electrical qualifications.....AND the safety statistics here are no better.

cheers
    There's a reason for that Oldboot.
    The world is full of experts who have not got a bloody clue.
    There is a reason why the electrical trades is one of the hardest to complete
    There is a reason why there are huge penalties for unlicensed work
    There are reasons why appliances have security screws in them
    There are reasons why there are house fires and it's the same reason I used to have to sort through a home after a fire to figure out what happened. The reasons usually are all of the above.
    Nobody can know the electrical industry without serving an apprenticeship before hand and then after about 20-30 years they may know something....but no where near everything.
    Nobody can learn the manual skills required to be an electrician without serving an apprenticeship.
    There are reasons why the umbrella of electrical trades is be broken down in specialities. Nobody can have the knowledge base or skills to carry out every duty involving electricity.
    Could an Instrument fitter be able to change an insulator on an 11kv line while it's alive or could the bloke who changes that 11kV insulator be able to terminate a 66kV cable going into a substation or could any of them bung a 10A 3 phase outlet in the Darryl Lee shop??

...... and dead is for a bloody long time. Electricity+person=usually dead

I started my apprenticeship in 1983. I have 3 trades within the Electrical umbrella and still know bugger all about the electrical trades.
    I still have to consult with people with the relavent knowledge base.
    You cannot find out about everything by googling.

You can get restricted electricians tickets to carry out duties such as a straight hot-water swap over and for testing and tagging and for bunging a plug on and they're restricted for a reason. You cannot know the trade without doing an apprenticeship.
    The same applies to any bloody trade.
    Greg has sited a classical example of how these restricted tickets can be a pain in the posterior for the consumer.
    An electrician has a restricted fridgy ticket to install splits. If they have a leak or something is not right they have to call in Greg. Greg has the poos for been called in on short notice when he probably has better things to do so he charges a minimum of $500 to go and have a gander. That would be minimum.
    Who pays that?? Does it come out of the sparky's pocket?? Nope.
    In my books it's not worth the hassle to have a restricted ticket.
    Just call Greg in from the word go. He does his bit. I'd do my bit and the world is a happy place.
    Another example is a plumber doing a hotwater change-over. What if there is old wiring there. What size is it?? Does it test OK??? Is the circuit protection OK and appropriate?? Would he notice the burnt fuses or breakers??
    Too many questions he may not know the answer to. What does he do??
    Separate trades....separate skills.

Easy solution for yourself to get an electrical trade under your belt is move out of the country. Get a job in one of these countries where no qualifications are needed (where are they??) and move back after 6 or 7 years. Prior knowledge and experience may get you there.

Yes. You can own an electrical contracting business without having an electricians license BUT you have to have a qualified electrician nominated to say they're the ones who will be responsible for the work.
    Can a structural engineer weld a pressure vessel and have it tested?? Can a mechanical engineer build a 150 ton crane and have it certified?? So why should an electrical engineer be able to wire up anything at all unless they have the qualifications??

As a side note I'm also qualified for doing communications (another one of those easy to get certificates on the wall) up to and including fibre optics. Would I consider working in that industry?? Nope. I simply do not know enough nor have the practical skills to carry out that job. I actually had an Austel license but never used it commercially. Not worth the hassle.

Personally I can see why you cannot get an apprenticeship within the electrical trades. It's attitude.
    Would I ever had employed you??? Not a hope in hell.
    Actually I may have given you a job but not for long. Especially not after you telling me how to do my job

And you probably would have harped on about critical length.

Another example of Big Brother watching?? Yes and thank God for that.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Taxman would do better going for a drive around the boat ramps and taking down all the names of company cars, utes and 4wd's towing boat trailers and matching that against fringe benefits and log book declarations.

What job are you after OldBoot? You might have a job finding a job where your qualifications and IQ are not greater than the prospective employer.

Why did you leave the Govt job you had?
    Jack.

The world is full of experts, lots of them are electricians and they simply don't have a clue, and wont be told.

The electrical trade is syetematicaly pulling the various allied trades under its controll, so the electricains sphere of influence and over confidence continues to grow.

most of them are barely able.....even if they can be bothered......to do the basic work of an electrician to the letter of the regulations. Then they take work off the allied trades, by pulling it into electrical umberella contracts that the reast of us cant bid on....then do the work they don't understand at a very very low standard.

Come on if ya cant install a simple single split system air con after you have done the required traing course and been passed as competent and issued a licence, ya musn't be very clever or interested in doing the job properly.

For over 20 years I have worked with a sat in training courses with electricians and the majority of them ARE dull, lazy and wont be told, even by their piers....... but they still live and work under the mis apprehension that they are smarter and better than everybody else.

Lots of them cant even calculate voltage drop using ohms law, hey Finga.

Lots of them have very little understanding of "electrical principles" as taught outside of the "electrical trade" and depend on the standards and regulations.....which they often chose to ignore and usually don't now as well as they should.

The electrical safety authorities have proven by survey, that a very large proportion of electricians do not even undestand the MEN earthing system....a key pank in electrical safety.
    This I was told on a skills maintenence course for full ticket sparkies, and shown the document.

This is why there is now a skills maintenance requirement for licence renewal in QLD, lots of the older electricains have either failed to renew or cheat by getting one of their relatives or apprentices to do the on line exam for them...I know because I've been told to my face by those that have done it.

Don't try and tell me that because they have an electrical trade qualification that the work will be tradesman like and compliant.

Just about every day that I walk onto a work site, I see things done by "full ticket electricians" that are non-compliant, not nit picky marginal stuff, but dogs ball obviously wrong.

I know it was done by an electrician because they have either just done it, the customer knew who did it or it has a tag on it with their licence number on it, and full ticket licence numbers don't have an R in front of them.

The most stupid thing that ever happened was to allow electricians to self inspect.

Don't try and tell me that the electrical establishment are the protectors of public safety.......they are the protectors of their own self interest.

Untill recently New Zeland, that works under the same standards, uses the same hardware and electrical system design had a very much more flexible attitude and allowed private individuals to do certain work.........their safety record was in fact better than ours.

In the UK and europe, many appliances come without a plug fitted, the purchaser commonly fits the plug. In the UK, you can wire you whole house yourself as long as it passes inspection all is fine. They don't seem to be having a rash of electricutions and fires.

As for the "critical length" thing.
    In every field of material science, it is understood that when testing materials you have to have a sample that is big enough to provide a reliable result and not influenced by outside factors.
    In electrical wire, that means the piece has to be long enough.

Sorry you could not find any information on that on google, and no one mentioned that in your electrical trade.
    But you would have to be pretty thick to not grasp the reasons why, and then keep arguing about it.

Finally I am sick to death of being picked on by a couple of idiots who are only motivated by their own ego and the threat that there is some one who knows more than they do and is happy to share it freely.

If you did not come to a forum with the object of a helpfull, free and amicable exchange of information ...WHY ARE YOU HERE.

I apopogise to others who's benifit and enjoyment is ruined by these idiots, every time I try to post something usefull or informative.

cheers

As far as where I would get an apprenticship...I would not be taking one up with a small or medium electrical contracting companies unless I knew their standards to be high ( almost unknown)......because dangerous work methods, ignorance and straight out flouting of the standards & regulations is the norm...ya don't have to go far for proof, because so many electricians will proudly tell you.....we don't bother with that, or no one bothers doing the other thing.

I have however been asured that If I want to enter the electrical trades, the labotomy is optional, however having one is suposed to increase career prospects.

The world is full of experts, lots of them are electricians and they simply don't have a clue, and wont be told.

The electrical trade is syetematicaly pulling the various allied trades under its controll, so the electricains sphere of influence and over confidence continues to grow.

most of them are barely able.....even if they can be bothered......to do the basic work of an electrician to the letter of the regulations. Then they take work off the allied trades, by pulling it into electrical umberella contracts that the reast of us cant bid on....then do the work they don't understand at a very very low standard.

Come on if ya cant install a simple single split system air con after you have done the required traing course and been passed as competent and issued a licence, ya musn't be very clever or interested in doing the job properly.

For over 20 years I have worked with a sat in training courses with electricians and the majority of them ARE dull, lazy and wont be told, even by their piers....... but they still live and work under the mis apprehension that they are smarter and better than everybody else.

Lots of them cant even calculate voltage drop using ohms law, hey Finga.

Lots of them have very little understanding of "electrical principles" as taught outside of the "electrical trade" and depend on the standards and regulations.....which they often chose to ignore and usually don't now as well as they should.

The electrical safety authorities have proven by survey, that a very large proportion of electricians do not even undestand the MEN earthing system....a key pank in electrical safety.
    This I was told on a skills maintenence course for full ticket sparkies, and shown the document.

This is why there is now a skills maintenance requirement for licence renewal in QLD, lots of the older electricains have either failed to renew or cheat by getting one of their relatives or apprentices to do the on line exam for them...I know because I've been told to my face by those that have done it.

Don't try and tell me that because they have an electrical trade qualification that the work will be tradesman like and compliant.

Just about every day that I walk onto a work site, I see things done by "full ticket electricians" that are non-compliant, not nit picky marginal stuff, but dogs ball obviously wrong.

I know it was done by an electrician because they have either just done it, the customer knew who did it or it has a tag on it with their licence number on it, and full ticket licence numbers don't have an R in front of them.

The most stupid thing that ever happened was to allow electricians to self inspect.

Don't try and tell me that the electrical establishment are the protectors of public safety.......they are the protectors of their own self interest.

Untill recently New Zeland, that works under the same standards, uses the same hardware and electrical system design had a very much more flexible attitude and allowed private individuals to do certain work.........their safety record was in fact better than ours.

In the UK and europe, many appliances come without a plug fitted, the purchaser commonly fits the plug. In the UK, you can wire you whole house yourself as long as it passes inspection all is fine. They don't seem to be having a rash of electricutions and fires.

As for the "critical length" thing.
    In every field of material science, it is understood that when testing materials you have to have a sample that is big enough to provide a reliable result and not influenced by outside factors.
    In electrical wire, that means the piece has to be long enough.

Sorry you could not find any information on that on google, and no one mentioned that in your electrical trade.
    But you would have to be pretty thick to not grasp the reasons why, and then keep arguing about it.

Finally I am sick to death of being picked on by a couple of idiots who are only motivated by their own ego and the threat that there is some one who knows more than they do and is happy to share it freely.

If you did not come to a forum with the object of a helpfull, free and amicable exchange of information ...WHY ARE YOU HERE.

I apopogise to others who's benifit and enjoyment is ruined by these idiots, every time I try to post something usefull or informative.

cheers

As far as where I would get an apprenticship...I would not be taking one up with a small or medium electrical contracting companies unless I knew their standards to be high ( almost unknown)......because dangerous work methods, ignorance and straight out flouting of the standards & regulations is the norm...ya don't have to go far for proof, because so many electricians will proudly tell you.....we don't bother with that, or no one bothers doing the other thing.

I have however been asured that If I want to enter the electrical trades, the labotomy is optional, however having one is suposed to increase career prospects.
    OB..if you are going to supply and install a 15kw ducted system what is the first thing you would do ? Then perhaps you could tell us all how to do the job..how about it is in a small shop with the cond unit on the roof. I would be interested to hear how you would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Q Build employ heaps of tradesmen..they have theirown building section that tenders for work.

Tradesmen with the State Govt are classed as day labour. Prior to compulsory super they were not eligible for the State Govt super scheme or otherl urks nd perks such as flexi time.
    Close but not quite correct Greg, QBuild are not permitted to tender for work in the open market.
    Yes, there are prob 2000+ or there abouts tradies across the state.
    Flexi time is under the Public Service award (act), tradespersons do not come under this award.
    Super was made available to field staff in about 1980 or there abouts, don't know if that coinsides with compulsory super.

In days gone by the tradies were regarded in a way as the poor cousins, however this is not the case anymore, in most cases a tradie has to drop wages to come into an office position.

Some previous comments (not from you) about completing sparkie or fridgie trades in 2-2 1/2 years is rubbish, have seen some bright boys complete in 3 1/2 years though on the competency system.

Have been on both sides of the fence.

Cheers

Bill

Bill..I was working for Q Build in 1984..no super for tradies at that time. I was working out of the Cribb St workshops.

I believe they do tender for Govt work Bill.

Sh%%6,,,,,,,, i've run out of chips
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

2kg of hot chips here for $10.
    Or one of the supermarkets chains has 4 packs of Smith's chips for $6 Chop.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Bill..I was working for Q Build in 1984..no super for tradies at that time. I was working out of the Cribb St workshops.

I believe they do tender for Govt work Bill.
    Hey Greg

1984, so was I.
    I got into super 29/04/85, so it musn't have been far away from being offered when you were there, I came out of my time in '84.
    Cribb St is now the Transit centre, I'm there now

You are correct, we used to tender on projects up until about '93-'94, somewhere around there, that came to an end when Joe Blo contractor (s) made a complaint to up "there" if you know where I'm talking about, bitching that they were losing work to the PS, no more tendering afer that, still in effect now.

First hand experience, trust me

Cheers

PS: still gotta talk to you about the young fella

OB..if you are going to supply and install a 15kw ducted system what is the first thing you would do ? Then perhaps you could tell us all how to do the job..how about it is in a small shop with the cond unit on the roof. I would be interested to hear how you would do it.
    Im not going to waste time telling you how to do it.

But the first two things I would do is

1. establish that there is sufficient electrical supply to support the air con unit in question in addition to the existing load....this would require a peak demand calculation.

2. establish that the building structure is capable of supporting the equipment to be installed...this may require the input of a strucrual engineer.

Im not going to waste time telling you how to do it.

But the first two things I would do is

1. establish that there is sufficient electrical supply to support the air con unit in question in addition to the existing load....this would require a peak demand calculation. Let the sparkie do that..not my problem.

2. establish that the building structure is capable of supporting the equipment to be installed...this may require the input of a strucrual engineer. a what? for a cond unit that only weighs about 100kg.
    the correct answer is..for a job of that size..make sure you have the appropriate BSA License first

anyway, dop't stress over it OB..you stick to wiring the AV stuff and I'll do the air cond.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    Some previous comments (not from you) about completing sparkie or fridgie trades in 2-2 1/2 years is rubbish, have seen some bright boys complete in 3 1/2 years though on the competency system.

Cheers

Bill
    Sorry but I have had it from several sources that is is possible and is being done.

1. a mate that I have known since we were teenagers, is a trainer and assessor teaching electrical apprentices....I spoke to him before I even considered the matter.

2. People who manage apprentices and whom I have faced in interviews were quite clear on the matter

3. a couple of people I have met or know who have done it....I even know a plumber/gas fitter who had himself apprenticed to to an electrician his family business was employing.

Some bright people without similar trade experience are completing all sorts apprenticships in arround the 3 1/2 years.

The 3 1/2 years is not all that hard when you consider that some apprentices dont get their first block release untill after 6 months after they start......If the employer starts training in week 1 ya six months ahead already.

Then an employer does all of what was once block release, in on single block starting at week 1, that shifts things along no end.....Energex now does this, as do many of the mine related employers.

Those comming from allide trades, with plenty of RPL, relivent trade experience and use of self paced learning can easily complete in 2 to 2.5 years.... but that is dependent on the employer pushing the matter and scheduling the training.....there is a much better chance of that when the employer is acredited to do some or all of the training in house.

Employers like, Energex, QR, komatsu and Hasting Derring (Catepillar) do some or all of their training in house and or have preferential arrangements with other RTO's.
    Every apprentice that starts with Hastings Derring, completes, heavy vehicle driving, working at heights, EWP, forklift and crane tickets & can still finish ahead of time.

Training is moving ahead and there have been some changes in the last year or two.

Remember too that there are heaps of mature aged people with relivent trade experience and qualifications applying for these jobs.....I've sat trade tests and been in interview ques with these guys.......the employers want these people because they are cheaper to train and can be competent as tradesmen faster.

cheers