Thread: Lowrance HDS Update Problem?

Lowrance HDS Update Problem?

Hi,

I bought the unit 18 months ago and decided to download the first update from Lowrance site - unit has operating V2.5, where currently it is V4

I followed instructions on site and got the files "SIMS" folder and "HDS4". . . onto SD card installed using the download then unzipping files using the wizard that activates once you click on the file for installation following the prompts till it says finish.

I tried this in the sounder during start up and there was no recognising the SD files at all.
    The card reader in unit works fine when the mapping card is in the slot.

I contacted Lowrance and was told there should be a file "update.config" as well. I have tried downloading the files three times from the site each time about 258Mb and one hour downloading and never got this file. They sent me the file. I added it to the SD card and tried the unit again at start up - still no joy.

I can see no other way on the site to download the files as the only place it gives me options is "update"; "repair"; "remove" and I take the "update" option.

They said most people downloading the software make the common mistake of choosing "save" instead of "run" as an option but the new download never offers either of these options anyway.

I am perplexed and they can offer me no further help. Have said the SD card may be too big but said up to 32Gb should be okay and mine is only 8Gb but said 2Gb works okay - The SD card works perfectly well in camera.

Will fiddle some more but may have to take to a technician.

Any ideas - anyone downloaded the latest update and found "update.config" on their SD card and updated perfectly well. If so I would love to send you a blank SD card and have the data loaded to my SD card to try again.

Any useful tips welcome - thanks.

Should go back to bed I am going to be cactus late today.

Oh - it's a HDS10 with Structure Scan but the scan thingy shouldn't make any difference I am reckoning.
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Lowrance HDS Update Problem?

I had nothing but drama's downloading the file onto SD , I'd get 99% into in and then it would stop (different problem to yours I think) but I tried heaps of times .
    I wondered if it was my firewal protection on my computer but in the end One of the fellas on here lent me his card and it updated fine (thanks again dave ).
    I'd try doing the download from another computer running different antivirus maybe?
    I'm definately no expert , just breath deep and resist the urge to smash your sounder & computer.

Well Jamie has just been and left my place and having used his SD card - all good.

Thanks heaps mate - really appreciate - that is one of the great things about this forum - helping out.

I am presently trying to download the files in SWMBO older laptop rather than daughter's ubeaut uni. computer so maybe see too if this downloads more files for future uploads from Lowrance - yep may be a computer filter setting.

It is always a huge relief having something work after hours wasted and frustration.
    Cheers

Trev

Trevelly,

It is more likely the SD card, There a a number of cards the unit does not recognise, as SD cards have undergone a series of updates to get higher peformance and capacity.

I have done some testing on various brands and card capacities and have found that the sandisk 1Gb were the most reliably detected and read card in the unit.

Regards
    HOnda.

Hi Honda,

I have just finished downloading the software on SWMBO older laptop and the files it gave me are:-
    SIMS folder
    HDS-4.0 at 236.280 Mb
    update.conf 852Kb

Where daughters newer computer
    SIMS folder
    HDS-4.0 at 252 Mb
    and NO update.conf file

So they have downloaded differently and it appears SWMBO's older computer grabbed all the files.

Now I have the update on the HDS10 unit thanks to Truth Stretcher, so will not try this other download update BUT . . .

I will in future:-

Download using SWMBOs computer
    Get a 1Gb Sandisk SD card dedicated to this purpose.
    Cheers

Trev

have just upraded my HDS-10 to version 4.0 all went well.i am a computor dummy so must have been lucky. i used a 2gb card i bought from Dick Smith "Poloroid"
    has anyone fitted a radar unit to their HDS-10 & if so which one & is it worth the cost etc

Quote Originally Posted by 095rat View Post
    have just upraded my HDS-10 to version 4.0 all went well.i am a computor dummy so must have been lucky. i used a 2gb card i bought from Dick Smith "Poloroid"
    has anyone fitted a radar unit to their HDS-10 & if so which one & is it worth the cost etc
    Grand Marlin fitted a Lowrance radar to Captain Seaweeds boat - you can contact either or do a search and read up on it.
    Cheers

Trev

The dealer did mine for free in no time its been great.

The tip is that there will be a HDS vers 4.5 update released either late December or January.

Here's hoping that they fix the NMEA 2000 fuel flow calibration issues in this release....hey Honda!

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

R U a Mac User or Windows?? I had trouble downloading on my mac but ended up downloading onto my Normal Laptop with windows and just used a 2 gb SD. Updated Fine. I have HDS with SS too.

Hi Repete 1,

I am a normal windows user.

SWMBO has put forward her theory which makes sense to me and it goes like this:-
    SWMBOs computer during download has the option to "open" the file or "save" the file.
    Lowrance said the problem most people have is they "save" the file rather than "run" the file.
    Uni Daughter's computer offers no such options and purely "saves" the file.
    So SWMBO being a computer engineer said most likely daughters computer has had this option switched off - you know clever kids that have a pop up giving them clever options but also a choice at the bottom that says "if you never want to see this option again click here" so the little geniuses never want to be bothered with pop ups and know better turn this useful feature off.
    I will stick to SWMBO's computer for future downloads and use a smaller SD card as Lowrance said card size will have some effect on downloads.

Hopefully others if they have a problem with Lowrance downloads will get some useful info from this thread if they do a search like I did first up.
    Cheers

Trev