Thread: new to kayaking and after some advice

new to kayaking and after some advice

Hey guys and gals, well im thinking of buying a kayak for the 1st time and am just wondering if the one im eyeing off is a good starter, its at B.C.F and its called MOJO ANGLER FISHING KAYAK by EMOTION.

DIMENSIONS; 376CMX79CM AND 170KG WEIGHT CAPACITY, i weigh 110kg so would this hold me ok?

Thanks for any advice

Re: new to kayaking and after some advice

Looks ok from the info provided.

Scotty,

I believe the brand is an OK one. Question is what waters will you be using it for?

A yak that size & type would generally be used in skinny water (shallow, narrow places) and would be idea for dragging from pool to pool in freshwater streams. If you intend to fish in bigger rivers or dams or even a little off-shore, then you'll probably want somethign a little longer. Longer because it will track better and move through the water with less effort. Short yaks are only good for areas where you aren't paddling too much. And as you are like me, 110kgs, the yak will sit down in the water a bit more and require lot more paddling to get moving. Longer yaks (around 4 meters long) will sit higher on the water and take less effort to paddle, which = less tired at the end of the day and will allow you to travel further in a trip.

Not sure where you live? But go visit some kayak retailers who will allow you to demo the various yaks. This way you'll get a first-hand experience of how the yak moves and feels for you.

Also don't discount a second hand yak from places like E-Bay and Trading Post online etc. I've bough my first 2 yaks from these places at a great prices. Also have a look at the "Classified" sections of the main kayak fishing web sites like www.akff.net or www.kfdu.com.au You'll potentially pick-up a kitted-out fishing kayak for a song as well.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

At 110kg you'd be a decent sized unit, I would be inclined to look at a Viking Fisherman due to its size and comfort. Its nice to be able to move a round a little in the yak. It will move a little slower in the water but may make it up in comfort and ease of use. (Just an idea)
    Mind you by using EBay or KFDU you may indeed find exactly what your'e looking for already decked out and ready to go as mentioned above. Either way, yak fishing is gold!!