Thread: Another chandlery on the way out?????

Another chandlery on the way out?????

Just read an ad in "Bow 2 Stern"advertising for sale JS Gilbert of Hemmant otherwise known on line as boatownerswarehouse.com.au.Been around now for 40 odd years.
    I note that it is advertised as stock and fittings only---no goodwill,which suggests a level of deperation.
    Oh well,just one more,it wont be long before we are buying everything on line from the states.

Re: Another chandlery on the way out?????

Quote Originally Posted by albey View Post
    Just read an ad in "Bow 2 Stern"advertising for sale JS Gilbert of Hemmant otherwise known on line as boatownerswarehouse.com.au.Been around now for 40 odd years.
    I note that it is advertised as stock and fittings only---no goodwill,which suggests a level of deperation.
    Oh well,just one more,it wont be long before we are buying everything on line from the states.
    yep,sad but true,Im am one of the last who wants it,but maybe the government needs to somehow tax or control the ammount of online spending.its going to be the only way of keeping australian businesses running or our retailers need to somehow regain buying power and be able to resell at a cheaper price.I dread the day when all aussie stores no longer trade at a profit and need to close.My statement is quite hypocritical as i buy from OS myself,but i work for a large Aussie retailer and the problem of being outsourced OS is growing by the day.

I think Ebay has been the biggest and most powerful retailer in the market for years,its a constant source of cheaper goods and unfortunately for our own stores,more often than not better service.I buy goods from the US/UK/China and quite often get them quicker than i do from Melbourne or Sydney with savings of up to 50%.

Adam

Hopefully someone will buy into it and make it work. It has been for sale for some time now. It is my main chandlery for serious boating equipment. Good prices and no rubbish. Its where many of the shipwrights and boatbuilders still shop. Unfortunatly the lack of glossy cataloge and its location means it will always struggle
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

it certainly is a sign of the times,,,,, on the TODAY show this morning they reported that Australia is now recognised as the dearest country in the world to live,,,, from the staples of fruit and veggies,,, (which we import more than grow),,, to housing,,,(average price on a home is now regulated at 9 times the average yearly income),,, cars (yes cars, cheaper in Europe/USA) ,,, and so on

anyone priced LAMB in the supermarkets,,,, i'm not being a scrooge,,, but i bought a 15kilo slab of rump steak 2 days ago,,,, cheaper than a tray of lamb chops,,, in the same supermarket??

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE