Thread: 2 x hds units ?

2 x hds units ?

Gday all

I am at present running an HDS7 combo on my boat , it runs an external gps reciever , fuel flow sensor and a sonic hub.
    My question is I want to add another display in the form of a HDS8 combo and am wondering will only one unit work with the single transducer or will they both work through the nmea network.
    Or is their a splitter type lead for the transducer?
    Also I run a navionics card in the 7 now will this info be shared between the 2 units or do I need another?

Thanks

Re: 2 x hds units ?

You will be able to network both units using a nema 2000 starter kit - they will even be able to share way points etc - although only one unit will be able to run your Navionics card & map.

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

thanks scott so do you mean only one unit will display my maps and stuff or will both units display this .
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    You will be able to network both units using a nema 2000 starter kit - they will even be able to share way points etc - although only one unit will be able to run your Navionics card & map.

Regards Scotto
    Don't forget you need an Ethernet cable as well for sharing the "video" sounder screen ... NMEA 2000 takes care of data only.

Cheers

Pete

I just went to the specs on the HDS8/10m and it reads ' fishfinder features available via ethernet networking' does this mean I can get an M series chartplotter instead of a combo and still run the bigger one as a sounder too do you think?

Yes. I have a HDS 5m and a HDS 5x linked via both Ethernet and NMEA 2k. The Ethernet link between the 2 units allows the HDS 5m gps to show the sonar display as if it were a combo unit. Ethernet cable costs about $40 I think.

But you won't be able to share maps between both units, each one will need to have it's own mapping card in it. You can however share waypoints and gps data.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Yes, the info above is correct.

You can display sonar and structure scan on an "M" series unit via ethernet hooked to a sonar capable unit - HDS 5x, HDS 5,7,8 or 10

You can not display any map data on a HDS 5x when hooked up via ethernet to a map capable unit - HDS 5m, HDS 5,7,8 or 10.

Cheers

Pete